Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 1995, which was faster? an STS or an ETC.

Id imagine i would be the ETC cus its only 2 doors and a little shorter, right? So it would weigh less.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Personally, I don't see how the STS would be any faster. They're rated exactly the same and I think the ETC does weight less. So my bet is always on the ETC.. Though some say otherwise...

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
They are going to be the same. They both weigh the same (or within like 50 lbs.) and have the same motor. They are actually about the same length, the STS is about 3in longer, even though it looks much larger.

IMO, it all depends on the condition of the car. There would be times when your ETC could beat an STS, and there could be other STS that could beat your ETC. So depending on the condition of the engine and tranny, either could win. If they were both EXACTLY the same (that is brand new motor and tranny) I think that it would be a draw. There are lots of other factors when cars are this close to each other, like tires, tire pressure, etc. Stock vs stock, i would say the ETC if i had to bet, but it would be so close it wouldnt be worth betting.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Since the two cars are so close stock vs. stock, in the real world, either one could win against the other. Too many variables could outweigh any tiny advantage one might theoretically have over the other.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sal, I think you might be on to something there! Horsepower to Weight ratio. Physics.... Bla Bla Bla...I think the Eldo would be faster due to less weight, unless Physics is in the eye of the beholder.

·
Registered
1994 STS - pearl white
140 Posts
Winner would likely depend on the skill (and weight) of the drivers.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
With two equal skills, I think it would be the ETC but like many say, it would be such a small difference.. Like - maybe a nose in the quarter mile...

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
But the fact of the matter is they weigh the same. They run on the same platform, and are the same length.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I wonder why the Eldo is listed as weighing 3774, with a height of 54" and the Seville is listed as weighing 3832, with a height of 54.5", when the "fact of the matter" suggests they are the same.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
2002 STS:
4027lb / 201.0"
2002 ETC:
3865lb / 200.6"
Let's compare apples to apples ;)
My original comment still stands, anyone who thinks different spends NO time at the track for sure.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
I know i changed my comment, and i said origionally that the weight difference is miniscule, and it is. 58lbs to be exact. When cars are that close, there are too many factors to determine which would win. I dont think that would make or break a race, it would all determine on the driver, tires, engine condition, etc.

I say we leave it at their both equally fast and I would take either one.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
elwesso said:
I know i changed my comment, and i said origionally that the weight difference is miniscule, and it is. 58lbs to be exact.

I say we leave it at their both equally fast and I would take either one.

58 pounds is not miniscule it can be all the difference at the end of the track. I.M.H.O. weight is one of the most crucial factors when all others are as close as they are in those two cars. If the drivers weigh the same and react the same then the Eldo at 58 pounds lighter will win. However as close as they are in weight if there is an instant of difference in reaction time the other car might take it....When I used to drag race my V-8 Vega I used to take out the passenger seat , rear seat, spare tire, stereo gear and whatever I could do to shave a pound here and there. In drag racing..NEVER under estimate the value of lighter weight no matter how slight!

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
The original question was, "Which is faster? An STS or an ETC?". Being that the question had nothing to do with who was driving which car, nor skill levels of drivers, it was an easy question to answer.

In Kevin's example, the ETC is 162lbs lighter:

2002 STS: 4027lb / 201.0" vs 2002 ETC: 3865lb / 200.6"

I'm glad we've finally come to "the final answer". :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
In 1995, which was faster? an STS or an ETC....I think this was the original set of apples in question.... "anyone who thinks different spends NO time at the track for sure."..... It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts!! Right on target KC!

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
The original question was, "Which is faster? An STS or an ETC?". Being that the question had nothing to do with who was driving which car, nor skill levels of drivers, it was an easy question to answer.

In Kevin's example, the ETC is 162lbs lighter:

2002 STS: 4027lb / 201.0" vs 2002 ETC: 3865lb / 200.6"

I'm glad we've finally come to "the final answer". :)
Ah! Grasshopper....Sometimes the simplest of questions leads to the most complicated of answers.... This question has many answers based on variables beyond the scope of weight/power.
Not considering who's driving is odd 'cause I've never seen a drag race with no driver that ended well! It is impossible to say that a car will perform a certain way consistantly regardless of the driver. Based on my experience you really can't say that two cars that have identical specs. will perform the same. Close? Maybe...but that isn't a given either. I guarantee you that if you make the claim that either one of those cars "Stock forStock" is faster there are many cars out there that will prove you wrong no matter which one you choose! It's the nature of racing!

Yes....I am playing devils advocate here!
:devillaug

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Again we find that there is a vast ocean of possibilities between hypothetical scenarios and the real world

Stick THAT in your pipe and SMOKE it! Heh ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
"All things being equal other than the cars" is that like "The same thing, but different, cause they were separated together"? Need a Light?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts