2005 Cadillac CTS - white diamond on 22" tis 07's
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and why...

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
If you buy a 2.8, you will keep it forever. I can almost guarantee that. Reason: No one in their right mind will buy it from you.

No power.

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
forget that power thing... its about personal preference...

and sorry big bird, i'm gonna callu out on this one... ur wrong about "no one in their right mind will buy it from you" ... shawn has a sick car, its really nice & many people on this forum would snatch it in a heartbeat...

personally, i'd go with the 2.8L .. it was in production longer, the 3.2 was used for one year & that was about 5 years ago.

I know that you dont care about power, hence the 22s ;) , so if this is for you, and its between the 3.2L engine & the 2.8L engine, i'd say go with the 2.8L... plus, on the 2004+ models (2.8L & 3.6L) a few things in the car were updated....

however, if power is your goal, you can go with the 3.2L engine & hook it up with a supercharger or nitrous oxide ... which, the 3.6 & 2.8L engines wont let you do (not easily anyway...)

personal prefernce really...

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
ALSO

3.2, less time left on warrenty than on a 2.8 (which were built 2005-2007)

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS - white diamond on 22" tis 07's
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i've got a 2005 2.8L. i was just curious which one was a better engine. i just wouldn't get a 3.2L because its an 03. i wanted something newer. & with 22's i don't care about power obviously, and the 2.8 is plenty enough for me...

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
The 3.2 is bored out 3.0L from Opel. It is a good engine and it has been in production for a long time. (ask the Catera brothers)
The 2.8 is a sleeved 3.6 and is therefore newer than the 3.2.

BUT, with the 2.8 you get less power for the same mileage as the 3.6. So you would only get an insurance benefit with the 2.8 compared to the 3.6 and the 3.2.

Maybe you didn't know, but in europe we had a sleeved 3.2L in 2003: the 2.6L. SO in fact the 2.8 replaces the 2.6, where the 3.6 replaces the 3.2L.

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
I am happy with the power of my 2.8L. I've drivin in a 3.6L and the power difference is noticeable, but not necessary. I didn't buy for power, or I would have gotten a CTS-V or similar. Not sure if you can get a 2.8L in manual, but who would buy for power and get an automatic? Women I would assume.

As far as the original question: define better.

If you mean more powerful, the 3.2L. But the 2.8L is only available in the newer versions of the CTS which I believe is better for two reasons: Superior guage cluster and rear bezel doesn't look like shit.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
44 Posts
I've got a 3.2 liter and it's reliable. Basically, it's all about what you want in a car. At the end of the day wheather it's a 2.8.....3.2.....or 3.6....it's a Cadillac. (Which maens smooth riding) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
Most of the problems on the board are with people who have 3.2 engines :stirpot:
It's not the engine that is bad. The issues are with other parts of the car

·
Registered
2007 CTS
582 Posts
I got the 2.8 instead of the 3.6 because to me the extrea 45 HP wasn't worth it. I didn't get my CTS looking to be the fastest. I got it because it's a smooth ride and lets be honest, the pre 08 CTS will become a classic IMO. My car picks up when I need her to and cruises the rest of the time. I can take clients out in it or my date, just have to change the radio first!

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
It's not the engine that is bad. The issues are with other parts of the car
Because, naturally, it's going to be older.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts