Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The glass panel on my Astro roof doesn't work properly anymore. It will still move forward and raise to vent, although the right side sets lower than the left in this position and it will still slide back to the rear to open all the way. The glass will no longer stop automatically when flush with the roof, so you have to play around with the switch to get it all to line up.

One site that I found with replacement parts is parts.com. They list left and right side lifters for $34 and $36. Is this the part needed to fix my problem?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,464 Posts
Close the sunroof and take a hard look at the glass from both inside and outside. Outside, is it uniformly level with the roof panel or is a side or corner too low ? Inside, are the two side rail/lift arms symmetrical to both sides, or is one of the rails too high/low ?

There are 4 Torx head screws in the front and rear ends of the side rails: these are used to adjust glass height, and over time they come loose. If needed, loosen them a bit, adjust the glass, and tighten - don't get carried away - just tighten well.

If that's not the problem, the chances are pretty good that one of the side rails or tracks has broken or that one of the lift arms has failed/broken. This requires headliner and sunroof removal and repair.

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Close the sunroof and take a hard look at the glass from both inside and outside. Outside, is it uniformly level with the roof panel or is a side or corner too low ? Inside, are the two side rail/lift arms symmetrical to both sides, or is one of the rails too high/low ?

There are 4 Torx head screws in the front and rear ends of the side rails: these are used to adjust glass height, and over time they come loose. If needed, loosen them a bit, adjust the glass, and tighten - don't get carried away - just tighten well.

If that's not the problem, the chances are pretty good that one of the side rails or tracks has broken or that one of the lift arms has failed/broken. This requires headliner and sunroof removal and repair.
Yes, the passenger side sits low. On my particular unit, the four screws are regular phillips head, not Torx. Checked all four, already tight. The only thing I noticed when this problem first happened was when I raised the roof panel to vent, there was a clicking noise like teeth or gears slipping on one another. Now, when you try to close it from the vented position, it goes right past close and to the open position without stopping, making that clicking noise along the way. Do you think the lift arms will fix the problem, any suggestions on where to purchase quality replacement parts?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,464 Posts
Only two guesses - junkyard or talk to Chris in RippyParts ^^ up in Vendors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts