Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for good air shocks for the back of my 2008 Escalade ESV with RPO code Z55 and 22" wheels. The problems is that I have called several different automotive parts suppliers and they all say their stuff is OEM equipment or better. Prices are all over the board, and I'm not sure half of these guys even know what kind of shock I need. When I ask if it has autoride they just give me a blank look. Are ACDelco the original shock? Who makes the best OEM replacement, maybe something with a lifetime warranty?

What part # am I hunting for?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Dorman air shocks work really well and this seller on Ebay has a lifetime warranty. You have to purchase 2. I don't know what your price budget is but these are really good shocks.

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
235 Posts
We’ve dealt directly with the Arnott factory since 2005 on our Audi, Denali & Escalade before they sold their products through other retailers. They are the original and the first. The lifetime warranty results in strut failures now being an unplanned covered expense after the initial Arnott part is installed. It’s fast, free shipping both ways from FL and speedy, no fuss reimbursement back to our credit card when the core is received.

Arnott eliminated the cost associated with the Audi four way, speed sensitive, auto height adjustable shocks in our 02 6SP manual Audi allroad. Between all three vehicles they’ve saved us over $5k. They also updated their product design on the Audi. The factory followed their design on later models.

Others yank the z55/z95 from the GMT900 trucks simply because there’s options to do it. It’s a pay (now or later) to play ownership game. Once the Arnott’s are in, it’s done, back to better than factory, for life, without further cost. I’ve been in GMT900 trucks with new and worn out z55/z95 suspension and standard suspension new and worn out factory mono tube set ups. Nothing does the GMT900 chassis better than the factory Auto/Magneride set up. BTW, 22” rims are a miserable ride without it.

Unlike Non Z55/Z95 systems, the Magneride/ Autoride set up operates at 100% efficiency until a component fails. Mono tube set ups can fail so gradually you barely notice it’s comprised until it’s been months or years.

Arnott sells new & rebuilt struts that are passive or do not communicate with the suspension. They trick the ECU into leaving the warning light off. Arnott, also sells the factory replacement with the lifetime warranty.

Use the Arnott factory OEM part replacement route and be done with it. An Arnott factory purchase means no middle man to leave you stranded without a lifetime warranty. Arnott WILL NOT honor any warranty from a facility or retailer that lost and/or abused their warranty privileges. This can leave you high and dry if your shop/retailer closes or makes a bad warranty move. Yes, some retailers do have to shut down, forever, because parts are not available to sell. Overseas and US suppliers are slowly being starved by one or more suppliers. Better safe than sorry I say.

Call Arnott and do the first order over the phone to ensure the supply, timeline and 100% part fitment. Also verify if you need a new compressor so that everything can be replaced in one shot. If you don’t need the compressor, return it.

Earlier this year Arnott verified what I suspected about Z55/Z95 Autoride/Magneride suspension set ups, THEY’RE BOTH IDENTICAL. GM cleverly changed a few names and part numbers to charge Cadillac owners more. At Arnott, it’s all the same (low) price. I’m not selling their stuff, like others, with other solutions, I’m helping to make an informed decision by supplying info. g/l!

Also, keep in mind GM sold the rights to maintain and develop Z55 / Z95. They are in an awkward position to supply and warranty their own parts & technology developed and made by ?? Have a read ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I found a set of Dorman 949-052 on amazon for a good price and pulled the trigger on those. If that doesn't pan out I'll look at the Arnott shocks. I've spent days looking at different components and suspension parts front and back. While I am working on the front and back I'll be updating all of the tie rods, control arms and other misc bushings just because.

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
235 Posts
I hear you, it’s all about how much time you’ve got to get things done. You’ll be checking off some of the most common fixes this truck needs to make a world of difference in the ride.

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
235 Posts
Hey Tony the prices are ... POOF! gone on Arnott's site?!?!

I tried to use a different browser and even added a few to the compare feature which allows you to go to a blank shopping cart. Not sure what's up. Prolly just have to call to order from the factory. I believe there may have been a lower tax rate or no tax when ordered from the factory in FL. Can't remember though.

I betcha that Arnott had to pull their prices so that they would not compete with their resellers who set their own price point to make a profit in their general location.

* NEWS FLASH *

Rock Auto shows there is a specific part number the Escalade rear air strut but also lists the Yukon as Magneride (Z95) instead of Autoride (Z55)

2014 Escalade Z95 Magneride strut # MR 3436 $316.79 ea
2009 Escalade Z95 Magneride strut # ?? Nothing showing
2009 Yukon XL Z55 Autoride strut # MR 3436 for $316.79

It also shows that Sachs sells a version for the
1) Short Wheel Base (SWB)
2) EXT Version
3) Vehicles equipped with 22" wheels

for $427.79.

I don't know what's going on but I'll stick with Z95 & Z55 being the same part # as Anrnott previously stated.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac Escalade Premium AWD
21 Posts
Thanks, don't need anything right now, as my ride is great, just want to know what I'm in for, as mine has 125k on the clock and the rears were done at 80k.

Tony

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,020 Posts
I think
Hey Tony the prices are ... POOF! gone on Arnott's site?!?!

I tried to use a different browser and even added a few to the compare feature which allows you to go to a blank shopping cart. Not sure what's up. Prolly just have to call to order from the factory. I believe there may have been a lower tax rate or no tax when ordered from the factory in FL. Can't remember though.

I betcha that Arnott had to pull their prices so that they would not compete with their resellers who set their own price point to make a profit in their general location.

* NEWS FLASH *

Rock Auto shows there is a specific part number the Escalade rear air strut but also lists the Yukon as Magneride (Z95) instead of Autoride (Z55)

2014 Escalade Z95 Magneride strut # MR 3436 $316.79 ea
2009 Escalade Z95 Magneride strut # ?? Nothing showing
2009 Yukon XL Z55 Autoride strut # MR 3436 for $316.79

It also shows that Sachs sells a version for the
1) Short Wheel Base (SWB)
2) EXT Version
3) Vehicles equipped with 22" wheels

for $427.79.

I don't know what's going on but I'll stick with Z95 & Z55 being the same part # as Anrnott previously stated.
I think you're right @ bolded.

So many repair shops buy their shocks for replacements that I'm sure quite a few people questioned "why can I buy it from here for less".

·
Registered
1999 Escalade, 2004 CTS, 2003 ESV, Now 2008 Escalade
1,287 Posts
Go OEM only!
You can go to gmautoparts.com and enter your VIN. You will get the correct part number for your vehicle. The most wonderful thing about the Escalade over Tahoe or GMC is the suspension.

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
235 Posts
I’d love to hear from Sachs why they have SWB, ESV & 22” Rim versions.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Go OEM only!
You can go to gmautoparts.com and enter your VIN. You will get the correct part number for your vehicle. The most wonderful thing about the Escalade over Tahoe or GMC is the suspension.
GM's Air Shock pump can cause damage to your vehicle if it fails. Dorman's Air Shock Pump has a bunch of safety features added so it doesn't damage the shocks and it automatically stops it from running if it senses it from running to long.

·
Registered
09 Escalade ESV Platinum
235 Posts
What kind of crazy idea is a time out sensor or overload / overheat switch in a critical suspension component? Sounds like something GM would void your warranty for if they knew you’d installed such a crazy thing

Seriously though, thanks for posting this as I was set on going OEM on my replacement on mine. I wondered what the protection circuitry was for on the pumps they sold.

·
Registered
2010 CTS V
42 Posts
It would be interesting to get a report on the differences from a looks perspective. I am an OEM guy in my old age. Been burned too many times. But I doubt there is a long line of aftermarket makers of these shocks. They may all be spec'ed from Monroe or something crazy like that. I did love the ride in 2010 CTS V, even if I replaced the rears twice, the fronts never. That was in 209,000 miles.

RockAuto has very good prices on OEM as well as aftermarket.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am looking for good air shocks for the back of my 2008 Escalade ESV with RPO code Z55 and 22" wheels. The problems is that I have called several different automotive parts suppliers and they all say their stuff is OEM equipment or better. Prices are all over the board, and I'm not sure half of these guys even know what kind of shock I need. When I ask if it has autoride they just give me a blank look. Are ACDelco the original shock? Who makes the best OEM replacement, maybe something with a lifetime warranty?

What part # am I hunting for?
If you have magnetic ride then you electronic air shocks, at least in the rear. I think the front struts might. On my 05 STS, I replaced my rears and purchased through Cardone. They were $395 a piece, and they had the electronic connection on the top of the shock. The magnetic ride uses a built-in air compressor, usually in the engine bay, that keeps the shocks at the best air pressure for current driving styles. Most of what I found are manual shocks that uses springs (Passive). If you have magnetic ride, stay away from those unless you plan on converting all 4 to manual shocks and springs. Your computer will not like a partial conversion, even with the Mickey Mouse resisters they give you to fool your computer. This is my opinion only, I could be wrong in other’s eyes. I look forward to more input.

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,020 Posts
It would be interesting to get a report on the differences from a looks perspective. I am an OEM guy in my old age. Been burned too many times. But I doubt there is a long line of aftermarket makers of these shocks. They may all be spec'ed from Monroe or something crazy like that. I did love the ride in 2010 CTS V, even if I replaced the rears twice, the fronts never. That was in 209,000 miles.

RockAuto has very good prices on OEM as well as aftermarket.
That was a lot of gas in 209k miles in a V ! Miles of smiles, I miss mine.

I had one leaky shock that was replaced under warranty and it was error free from there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts