Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where the fuel filter is in a 1986 Fleetwood Brougham? I wanted to replace the old one but have no clue where it is.

·
Registered
520 Posts
BeaverDude2k said:
Anyone know where the fuel filter is in a 1986 Fleetwood Brougham? I wanted to replace the old one but have no clue where it is.
According to Autozone, it's under the hood, front of block, in the fuel line.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
If it's a Quadrajet it's at the end of the fuel line inside the carb. There might be another one somewhere else.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took off the air filter, and got to the carb. In he front of it there is somehting that looks like a fuel line, its a small metal pipe going into a large bolt that looks the saize of the fuel filter. However it seems to be seized , there is a smaller bolt on the pipe connecting to the bolty that I can not get to turn. Is this where the fuel filter is housed, or do I need to look someplace else??

·
Registered
989 Posts
yep, it's definatly in there. It's probably not siezed but VERY hard to get off if never opened. Once I got mine off, I just took out the filter, and tossed it, then put an in-line fuel filter you can pick up at any local autozone or kragen or napa and cut the line and put it in there that was going into the carb. You can put the filter anywhere in that line from the fuel pump to the carb. It's easiest that way because you can see into the housing of the inline one and you can also replace the element inside so it's easier.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hey thanks. I'll use a little wd-40 and give it a try tomorrow. I'll also look into those inline filters. I have heard they are pretty good.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Beaver Dude 2K,
The filter is in the "fuel inlet" to the Q-Jet. If you replace it regularly (every year), it will be easy to replace. The design flaw (or some say) is that when it gets clogged, fuel and dirt bypass it because of the "bypass" spring located behind it. To prevent this, replace the filter regularily. GM did this so the car would still run with a clogged filter (obviously they knew most people don't properly maintain their cars). However, if dirt gets into the carb, it goes to the bottom where the jets are and easily clogs them (which causes all kinds of problems). Because of this, take great care to clean dirt from around the fitting before removing it.
Also, I have read that adding an extra filter puts too much restriction on the fuel pump and limits flow. Additionally, you remove the steel line connection from the fuel pump to carb and introduce leak prone rubber hose(s). This is not good, because if it leaks, a dangerous fire could occur.

Pat

BeaverDude2k said:
hey thanks. I'll use a little wd-40 and give it a try tomorrow. I'll also look into those inline filters. I have heard they are pretty good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts