Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I've been lookin under the hood of my V and I can't find it. Not even sure if it's equipped with it. Can someone tell me where it would be if my car has it?

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lindsay Cadillac said:
Block heater isn't standard... It was an option that you could get...
Hi James, yes I understand that it was an option in the US. I boughth my car used, so I'm not sure if i have it or not.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
c5racr1 said:
if you dont see it you probably dont have it
Ok. Cuz I couldn't find it on my V6 either, and my dealer had to find it for me lol

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lindsay Cadillac said:
If you give me your VIN I can run your vehicle build list...
Thanks James, I'll send you a PM.

·
Registered
2008 BMW M3
253 Posts
Whats the engine heater for? Warm up the engine faster in cold weather? Do i have it? Is it something that really works well and is recommended? My VIN IS: 1G6DN57S140185840

Thanks!!

·
Alexandria, Va
Work on them all...
1,213 Posts
arr0gant said:
Whats the engine heater for? Warm up the engine faster in cold weather? Do i have it? Is it something that really works well and is recommended? My VIN IS: 1G6DN57S140185840

Thanks!!
When plugged in it keeps the engine coolant at a set temperature reducing engine warm-up time. The option code is K05 and according to your VIN your vehicle does not have it...

·
Registered
2008 BMW M3
253 Posts
Lindsay Cadillac said:
When plugged in it keeps the engine coolant at a set temperature reducing engine warm-up time. The option code is K05 and according to your VIN your vehicle does not have it...
Thank you so much for checking, GOD this forum is awsum!!!

Is this something I can easily add on, how much $$$? Is it ok to drive off at low RPM's when the car is cold? If not, where should I wait for the guage to be before I drive off?

Thanks so much,
Arr0gant

·
Registered
04 Escalade
131 Posts
I would like to see a picture of what it looks like. Anyone have it on their V that would be willing to post a picture?

·
Alexandria, Va
Work on them all...
1,213 Posts
We haven't installed one yet... We have one on order right now. We'll post pictures once we have it in hand.

Maybe we'll even install it in one of the V's we have sitting around the shop during the day... :D

·
Registered
CTS-V
534 Posts
Hey, I thought that one was ear marked for me!

:)

Let me know what you think when you get it. I hate the idea of having to start up this massive engine when it's so cold out...

·
Registered
2008 BMW M3
253 Posts
How much easier does the car warm up WITH this? Is it really worth it for cold weather? How much is it parts and labor?

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
It's very common for folks who live in the Northern parts (where it gets below 0) to install these in trucks and cars. Even JCWhitney sells them.

Other warmer kits I've seen include a stick on heater pad for the oil pan and the battery, since the starter draws much more current to start a cold engine, and a battery puts out less when it's that cold. Dyno oil flows like molassas in a cold engine. I'm not sure it applies to, or is needed for, Mobil1, though.

So you guys with V's actually drive them in below freezing weather (i.e., it's your primary daily driver)??? 400HP and ice don't seem to mix, IMHO. I would have thought if it's that nasty out, you guys would have a family 4x4 to venture out in. I take my Jeep when the weather is that nasty here in VA.

·
Registered
2008 BMW M3
253 Posts
Jeep is a great idea. I've been looking for one. In the mean-time, should I get the block-heater installed?

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
odysseus said:
It's very common for folks who live in the Northern parts (where it gets below 0) to install these in trucks and cars. Even JCWhitney sells them.

Other warmer kits I've seen include a stick on heater pad for the oil pan and the battery, since the starter draws much more current to start a cold engine, and a battery puts out less when it's that cold. Dyno oil flows like molassas in a cold engine. I'm not sure it applies to, or is needed for, Mobil1, though.

So you guys with V's actually drive them in below freezing weather (i.e., it's your primary daily driver)??? 400HP and ice don't seem to mix, IMHO. I would have thought if it's that nasty out, you guys would have a family 4x4 to venture out in. I take my Jeep when the weather is that nasty here in VA.
I have another car to drive, but, on ok days, I'll drive the V.. Hehe, I'm up in Ontario.

Got some Blizaaks for the winter on winter rims

·
Registered
173 Posts
arr0gant said:
How much easier does the car warm up WITH this? Is it really worth it for cold weather? How much is it parts and labor?
IF you really want to pre-heat the engine, I would install the heater that goes in the heater hose. It circulates warm water throughout the engine and heater core thereby slightly raising the temp inside of the car. You do not want to run any pre-heater continously though. The warm engine over time will form condensation inside of it from cold air. If you run a pre-heater I would recomend a high amp timer that can be bought at Walmart or elsewhere, usually made for coffee pots etc. Set it to turn on a couple of hours before you start the car. The most important thing is to make sure you route the cord so that it will be unpluged without damaging anything when you forget to and drive off with the car still plugged in. Having said all this I don't believe it's necessary on a spark ignition engine running synthetic oil at all. My experience with pre-heating comes from aircraft and diesel engines.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts