Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So all I need is one hole on one side of the mufflers on both sides?

Thanks,
Norm

·
Registered
2004 CTS-V, Intake and Exhaust Mods, 365 rwhp / 360 rwtq
164 Posts
If you think a hole in a muffler sounds anything but wrong, then it really doesn't matter where you put the hole(s).:confused::thehand::tisk::eek:

CTS-BV

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
Ok doing it just to pull out some fiberglass and then plugging the hole doesn't sound like as bad of an idea. As long as you plug the hole i would imagine it would give a more aggressive sound fo free! I wouldn't do it but I am curious to what it ends up sounding like.....Probably not too bad

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
209 Posts
Let us know what you end up doing and how you plug it. I'm actually thinking about doing this myself

·
Registered
05 Redline CTS-V
8,439 Posts
do yourself a favor and go to harborfreight or snapon if you have money... and get yourself some kiwi pliers... makes it 200 times easier to reach in and get the last pesky bits of batting

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I assume you mean some time of needle nose pliers, preferably long reach. :)

Thanks,
Norm

·
Registered
403 Posts
Are there some of you that do a partial gutting like maybe taking half of the stuff and hearing a improvment or do you have to take it all out? Assuming it would be good for the stsv also.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
46 Posts
The hole should be made anywhere flat so the plug (a sink hole cover) fits better.

I took out three quarters of the insides. (as well as I could estimate) This results in a significantly better bass note especially at idle and low rpm, but did not make the car louder. At higher rpms I do not notice a difference from stock. My guess is that taking out more of the stuffing would not make a difference.

I'm pretty sure it gave me at least 20-30 extra hp as well.:lol:

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had to drill two holes to get it all out. Once a strand is started it just comes out in a stream of fiberglass. I wore old leather dress gloves and just needle nose pliers to help with the knots pulling up in a circular motion. I could get about half of the material out then had to drill a second hole. I tried drilling a hole on the side but still had to drill a second one anyway. I tried drilling a pair of holes on the bottom but there was nothing there...now I have 6 holes to plug. It will be awhile before I get some audio.

Yes, all that is packed in one muffler...

Norm

·
Registered
none :(
2,045 Posts
Just a question. Why not some cuts outs? You can cap them for quiet and open them for loud. You are looking at about 100 bucks. Just do it after the cats your car won't know the difference.
I have used them before. You can even get the electric ones and open and close them from the drives seat.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts