Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Seville STS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
92 El Dorado 4.9 SCoupe

I've read several threads on how to set the basic timing on a 1993 El Dorado.
But I have read conflicting info...
Q/ once I get the hash mark on the balancer at 10 degress before 0, as I drop the distributor, where should the rotor point to-
#1 on the distributor cap?
or
#1 on the block? (front passenger side by the right headlamp)

As always, thanks for your help.

Jose

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,256 Posts
92 El Dorado 4.9 SCoupe

I've read several threads on how to set the basic timing on a 1993 El Dorado.
But I have read conflicting info...
Q/ once I get the hash mark on the balancer at 10 degress before 0, as I drop the distributor, where should the rotor point to-
#1 on the distributor cap?
or
#1 on the block? (front passenger side by the right headlamp)

As always, thanks for your help.

Jose
====================
on the distributor cap

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
The tick on the balancer is set to 0 - TDC on #1 cylinder - determined by #1 cylinder developing pressure as you approach the 0 mark. Then you stab in the distributor, fooling with the rotor as you drop it in so the rotor tip points to #1 on the cap. THEN you get everything buttoned up and, at idle, set the initial (no vacuum advance hooked up, if any) timing to factory spec, THEN reconnect vacuum advance, if any.

·
Registered
1992 Seville STS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both. Your replies and my brother make the most trustworthy consensus.:)..thanks again.

Jose

·
Registered
1992 Seville STS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did exactly that..marks on 0. rotor points at #1. Car cranks but doesn't turn on...thx

·
Administrator
68,423 Posts
Check for spark at #1 plug while cranking - if spark is good, manually advance the timing a few degrees while an assistant cranks the engine. Otherwise, fuel delivery problems ??

Did you check for cylinder pressure
as #1 piston came up to TDC - If #1 was on the exhaust stroke when you set the distributor the timing is 180 degrees out and the engine will never run - until you get it all set right again.

Remember - the cam, valvetrain and distributor run at 1/2 crank speed - so the engine is timed on the compression stroke TDC, not the exhaust stroke.

Intake v, Compression ^, Power v, Exhaust ^.........

·
Registered
1992 Seville STS
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
I've tried adjusting the distributor at several spots but not running. I think this is the problem. How can I correct? Take the distro out and turn the engine one more revolution, then set the distribuidor again??. thx for the help.

....Did you check for cylinder pressure as #1 piston came up to TDC
- If #1 was on the exhaust stroke when you set the distributor the timing is 180 degrees out and the engine will never run - until you get it all set right again

·
Administrator
68,423 Posts
Remove the plug from #1. Turn the engine, using the crank pulley bolt and a big socket wrench, until you feel pressure building in #1 cylinder - finger stuck in the plug hole. That's the compression stroke. Now set the crank pulley mark at 0. Now set the distributor so the rotor tip points to #1 plug on the cap. Begin your startup and timing checks again.

With the valve cover for #1 removed, as the piston comes up to TDC on the compression stroke both valves will be closed. If the engine is one revolution out of sequence the exhaust valve would be open.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts