Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1972 Eldorado convertible
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What specific areas does one look at to identify if a 1971-1976 Eldorado is a "matching numbers" original vehicle?

How and which numbers should match? This is for a novice so the more detail the better on location and matching sequences.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1963 Deville Park Avenue
22 Posts
I actually have been wondering the same thing for my 1963 Deville (it's supposed to be all original, but I'd like to see for myself).

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
Although there is some importance to this for an "all original" car it is less of and issue in that only 1 or 2 engine pkgs were availiable.

It would be a different story if you were buying say a Mustang "BOSS 429" where numorous
high out put engines were availiable & the engine alone has a $50,000+ value.

I hate to put it this way but there is nothing special about an Eldorado driveline because they are all alike. If you open the hood and there ain't a SBC under there you probably have original equipment. For it to become a concern you would be buying a car with all the service records that would tell if changes were a possibility.

I am sure there are avenues to go down with numbers & the engine is serialized & has a number stamped somewhere. It would also have casting PN''s & build codes. I'm sure there is numbers information to be had online. I think they have a trunk lid sticker indicating RPO #'s.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,244 Posts
The current "VIN" number format did not become law until the early 80s so VIN/engine numbering format before then is variable and to no particular standard.

·
Registered
1949 Cadillac Series 62
43 Posts
Hi,
I can give you information as it applies to my car ('49 Caddy) and I bet that to some extent it would also apply to yours. All '49 Caddys used the same engine. As the engines were produced, each was assigned a production number which was stamped on the engine toward the top/rear. Various bodies were produced and given a vin number which appears on a plack on the firewall and also stamped into the top of the front right frame near the number 2 spark plug. When the engines were then matched up to a particular body, the body's vin number was stamped onto the engine on a small flat surface near the right front of the engine. That's why these early engines have two numbers stamped onto them. I would imagine that more modern engines followed something similar.
Unless the car was something super special/limited edition, I don't think matching numbers are that critical as long as the engine was produced for that year or model car.

·
Registered
1975 hearse, 1976 hearse
865 Posts
Of all the GM divisions, Cadillac was the WORST for matching numbers of engines to chassis. its VERY difficult to determine if an engine is original. and things seemed to change every year. grab a service manual - you're going to need it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts