Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a cloud of pixels that stay lit on my 04-V instrument cluster.
It happened after I got it back from a local car shop, which had an uninsulated garage and it was freezing temperatures for a couple of days while it was there.

Can someone help me figure out the easiest way to fix this?
Thanks!
ctsvcluster.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,360 Posts
We have had at least one other similar case of this although I unable to find the thread. If I recall correctly it is not repairable. Online GM part suppliers don't seem to list a replacement, but there are some E-bay listings from Cleveland pick-a-part. If there is a repair, I suspect (but do not know) it would be done by the same shops (Delphi) that have taken up repairing CTS-V radios.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Mine noes this when it gets cold. It is half of the screen though. Goes away after i drive for a few min.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Mine noes this when it gets cold. It is half of the screen though. Goes away after i drive for a few min.
Cold in Miami? lol

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Lol I know. Sometimes it hits like 50 at night. You have to run to the car in your shorts in that kind of weather.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That screen was screwed up on my car, too.

I first looked into http://www.specmo.com/sales/retail.aspx, and they sell rebuilt instrument clusters for the CTS-V, but they are quite expensive. They will set the odometer to what your car reads currently, and officially certify that the change has been done.

Instead of that, I bought a used instrument cluster on Ebay, for small money relative to the specmo option. The vendor's photo on E-bay showed clear LED panels, so I took the chance.

I first tried just swapping the clusters, but some of the functions were disabled, including the steering wheel buttons and the digital speedometer/odometer panel. Not sure if that was because the dealer needed to program it to my car, or it was a failure in the cluster itself.

So my final solution was to dismantle the used cluster, and swap its whole face plate to my own cluster. If you take your time, it's not that hard to dismantle it, but I didn't take pictures unfortunately. All the gauge needles have to be pried off the face plate, which is the touchiest job. I used a couple of plastic hotel-room keycards and slid them under the needle hubs, pried up evenly a bit, then slid a table fork into the gap, leaving the key cards to pad the faceplate. Pull *carefully* straight up with the fork level, and the needle hubs all pop right off. Then it's just a matter of torx screws on the back of the housing, a couple of tab/slot snaps, and the tiny locks on those two ribbon connectors for those two LED panels. Then the faceplate is free to remove.

While googling to help me with this job, I noticed a lot of hits related to "GM stepper motor failures". All my needle gauges were working fine, so I didn't bother to swap the stepper motors out, but I suppose this would be the time to do that if they were flaky. Some companies give a lifetime warranty on new GM stepper motors. But if you've already bought a second cluster, then you already have some spare used stepper motors at that point (which may come in handy if you screwed up removing the gauge needles).

·
Registered
509 Posts
After the cold snap in ATL mine had this happen in a garage too. It's an attached garage but only half insulated and it got to single digits outside. It's a smaller cluster though. I may just live with it.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Hmmmm....if this issue was related to just being cold....wouldn't every V north of the Mason/Dixon line have this issue?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Hmmmm....if this issue was related to just being cold....wouldn't every V north of the Mason/Dixon line have this issue?
Exactly...Mine is a DD and it's been below freezing for 60+ days, even -10 a few times. Not to mention I've been doing this the past 6 winters with my V.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Same thing just happened to my instrument cluster. There are a few replacements online that I may give a go. Any recommendations of how I can pair a replacement with my vehicle?

Curious if anyone has found vendors that can repair?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
Jolcoracer