Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just started getting "battery not charging" messages and the red idiot light on a sporadic basis. Sounds like the alternator is starting to go. Any thoughts on the best place to get one, either new or re-built?

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
800 Posts
Any auto parts store should have them. Are you out of warranty?

All of them
1,795 Posts
I just started getting "battery not charging" messages and the red idiot light on a sporadic basis. Sounds like the alternator is starting to go. Any thoughts on the best place to get one, either new or re-built?
Genuine GM replacement part for $375.00. GM dose not offer a rebuilt unit so this is brand new.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any auto parts store should have them. Are you out of warranty?
Haven't found anyone with one. While I'm still under warranty, I think my Maggie will give my dealer the excuse not to replace it.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
I am convinced that aftermarket parts like alt, starters, water pumps are seconds. You will be paying the labor again within a year or so. Go with GM, or find a mom and pop shop that rebuilds alternators. Tell them you want GM parts in it. Or get the parts for them--diode, bearings, bushings, etc. ewill3rd or whatever his name is can tell you exactly what you need. He knows more than all of us put together.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
800 Posts
Haven't found anyone with one. While I'm still under warranty, I think my Maggie will give my dealer the excuse not to replace it.
Good point! Sounds like Lindsay to the rescue again.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Genuine GM replacement part for $375.00. GM dose not offer a rebuilt unit so this is brand new.
This is a very good price and I was going to go this route. However, I tried the service department of a new dealer near me. They not only are going to replace the alternator under warranty, but it looks like they're going to put on a new rear carrier (which would be the 4th one on this car).

·
Registered
Cadillac
18 Posts
I had the same problem and the dealer could not find an alternator. After a couple of days of waiting the tech discovered that it was not the alternator but rather some faulty wiring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts