Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Sedan Deville; 1997 Deville D'Elegance; 2010 DTS
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Frankly, I'm embarrassed to ask such a trivial question but I've been looking high and low for a set of cheap replacement lock knobs for my 2010 DTS. Some of you are probably wondering what the #$%^& a lock knob is, but it's simply one term (and there are many others) for the little doohickey that you pull up or push down on a car's door by the window in order to manually lock the doors. I've had two of the darned things snap in half in the last year or so. On this make\model\year, they are simply a small cylinder of plastic with fake chrome exterior, probably costing about a half cent each to make, that screws onto a threaded wire connected to the lock mechanism inside the door...

Problem is that all of the usual sources (eBay, Amazon, on-line versions of chain part stores, etc.) for this sort of semi-generic part don't seem to offer one that will fit a 2010 DTS. Replacement door knobs are easy to find (your local auto parts store has dozens hanging on the rack) but despite the words "universal" or "will fit all cars", the thread sizes on the replacement knobs are too big. I could order GM part 15879390 and be done with it, but the official sources want eight bucks a piece plus shipping. This really shouldn't cost more than eight bucks for all four.

Short of looking in junkyards for a DTS, a 2008-2014 CTS, or a 2006-2011 Buick Lucerne for a wreck I can cannibalize, has anyone found a cheap replacement? I don't need it to look like the original, but I do want it to have the "anti-theft" feature of it being a simple thin cylinder without a end at the top that a bent coathanger can catch on to jimmy open the door. In other words, I need a lock knob that doesn't have the knob part.

The other option I've considered is to buy a cheap universal set and then fill the hollow part of the cylinder with some sort of epoxy, screw it on, and then let it dry. Seems like a solution that would either not work at all (the strain of pulling or pushing down on the knob would quickly strip the epoxy-threads) or work too well (the epoxy would make it impossible to remove the lock knob when work is needed on the window regulator, etc.).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Nick in Palm Springs

·
Registered
2011 DTS Base
75 Posts
If I were you and had a little time I'd just hit up a couple of junkyards. If nothing comes up I'd just order the GM part and be done with it. The time and gas you're going to expend driving around looking for the part will probably end up costing more than the part itself.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts