Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how do you check the trans fluid in our cars????location???

manual says to replace fluid every 50k miles under harsh conditions....do you guys consider every day driving in chicago harsh, not downtown and never in heavy traffic, just the norm...??

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it says 100% but i want to check the fluid level,,,,and i want to see if it looks dirty at all...maybe i cant check it

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Black, LOADED
2,424 Posts
it says 100% but i want to check the fluid level,,,,and i want to see if it looks dirty at all...maybe i cant check it
im not exactly sure. and if it says 100% did you just change it? how old is the car? Mine only has 1400 miles on it and its at like 97%

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
The transmission is assembled in a clean room and then sealed. There is no dipstick. Under normal conditions the first transmission service is at 100,000 miles.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It reads 100% and it is an 03, I bought it 6 months ago so Im not sure if it was ever changed???? anyone elses read 100%????

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,974 Posts
The major component of transmission oil breakdown is heat. The guys with high percentages remaining are minimizing this effect.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
340 Posts
i got an 03 as well....still sittin at 100%... koz just edu-ma-cated me on that... i had no idea....

·
Registered
Cadillac
74 Posts
Checking the fluid is a simple procedure,jack the car up put it on a set of 4 jack stands because the car has to be level in the air when checking the fluid. The plug is on the passengers side near the front of the pan, the plug looks just like the oil drain plug, with the car at normal operating temp, be careful not to burn yourself it gets hot under there, remove the plug if the level is corect a little fluid will drip out after you remove the plug, what I do is take a drop of the fluid and put it on a clean white towel to examine it, the first time I did it I could not believe how dirty the fluid was, GM says 100,000 miles I don't by that I think if aI would have allowed it to go that long I would be needing a new transmission, so I changed the fluid at 74000 and just checked it last week at 85000 also added some lube guard transmission treatment, sorry the plug is on the driver side not passengers side, all the rest is the same

·
Registered
Cadillac
74 Posts
I checked mine at 70k the fluid was very bad, to check it you need to jack the car up and put it on 4 jack stands, it has to be level in the air when you check it, the fill plug is on the drivers side near the front of the pan, you'll need a #40 tork socket it looks just like the oil drain plug, when you remove the plug, if the level is correct a little fluid will trickle out, by the way the car has to be running when you do this so be careful not to burn yourself, before you start run the transmission through all the gears. Pull the plug I like to let the fluid absorb on a clean white cloth for better inspection, mine needed changing GM says 100k your crazy if you let it go that long, took me about 1hour to complete the job, could have done it quicker but I had to do some exploring while under the car

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Black, LOADED
2,424 Posts
i got an 03 as well....still sittin at 100%... koz just edu-ma-cated me on that... i had no idea....
My car is 6 weeks old with 1,400 miles. My transmission fluid life is at 98%. When i picked it up it was at 100%. If you have an 03 and its still at 100% i'm guessing something is wrong.

·
Registered
03 CTS
359 Posts
The 03's might have a problem with the Tranny oil life on the DIC. Most of them don't move at all. They will stay at 100%. All of the ones that I have checked over the last few years are still at 100%. Could just be something they messed up on the 03's.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im changing the fluid, i dont want to risk it....

these cars arent built as well as i would like and its becoming more apparent to me everyday

·
Registered
275 Posts
I used the procedure from the service manual, I drained out 6 quarts the entire system holds 9 quarts,it was fairly simple
Somebody mentioned, in another thread, that the drain plug has to be replaced every time you take it out. Did you have to do that?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts