Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
07 CTS-V
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a new 165* T-stat when did my cam last week and its crap...my temps vary widely from 160* to 192* while driving constant highway speeds with 55* ambient temps.

I am tired of buying junk crap or not getting what I paid for...does anyone know where I can get a decent T-stat? Or, should I just put the OE one back in?

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
203 Posts
I was at Auto Zone chain today looking for a 160-guy thought I was crazy, kept repeating "186 only one availalble for that motor." Finally told me "go to Cadillac dealer! I was going to check Summit...

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
I installed a new 165* T-stat when did my cam last week and its crap...my temps vary widely from 160* to 192* while driving constant highway speeds with 55* ambient temps.

I am tired of buying junk crap or not getting what I paid for...does anyone know where I can get a decent T-stat? Or, should I just put the OE one back in?
There may be nothing wrong with the 165 degree thermostat. A lower temperature thermostat will not, in and of itself, lower the temperature at which your engine operates unless you have the cooling capacity to maintain the lower temperature. Our cars do not have excess cooling capacity and lower temperature thermostats only lower the operating temperature: before the car warms up; in cold weather; at high speeds; with altered fan settings; or with the addition of cooling capacity.

I would return to the OEM thermostat because it is much easier to tune an engine that runs at consistent temperatures.

(I also believe that these engines make more horsepower at higher temperatures, but that is another subject.)

·
Registered
05 CTS V 07 ESCALADE
1,596 Posts
I really never understood, despite the dozens of posts over the years, the measurable benefit of a 160 stat.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Did you reprogram the fans for the new stat?

If you did it would stay at or around 180F dropping to 160 whilst driving...Have a 160 in both my cars and in my caddy it stays around 82c all the time and in my tahoe i only drop to 82-83 and while i idle it climbs to 87-88 because the fans are not programmed...

What brand did you get for a Stat? I get either Hypertech or LPE

·
Registered
CTS-V
469 Posts
160 stat: any Corvette tuner shop should have on on the shelf
or try Luke, he has all the parts you want:

Luke Butler
Lindsay Cadillac | 1525 Kenwood Ave | Alexandria, VA 22302 |
Direct: (703) 647-8670 | Main: (703) 998-6600 | Fax: (703) 671-4517
Visit our website www.lindsaycadillac.com

·
Registered
07 CTS-V
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, will try those options. The fans have already been reset for the new temps. The one I got is a Mr. Gasket piece from Jeggs...all I can say is never again. Thanks again!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts