Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and searched the forums but I can't find out exactly where the XM module is. I'm going to replace it with the SIR-GM1.

Does it require backseat removal? if so is the back seat easy to take out? It has seat heat and rear air bags.

Thanks.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
It has been a while since I messed with one actually.
I had to look it up.
Don't take the back seat out.
It is located inside the left rear fender.
Open the trunk, remove the carpet panel on the left side, it is bolted and hooked to the bracing inside that area.

·
Registered
Cadillac
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, you saved me a bunch of time.

In case anyone searches for this I will outline what needs to be done.

These instructions assume you will be using the factory supplied XM antenna and no additional antenna harness converter. I have not determined how well this works performance wise. After hooking it up and backing out of the garage it instantly picked up the signal and activated without problems. However, your mileage may vary and this may be inferior to using the standard Sirius antenna.

Tools required:
10mm wrench or socket
Small standard screwdriver

Removal:
1. Remove two large trim/cargo net holders on left lip of trunk opening.

2. Carefully pull trim away from studs and pull trunk lining off

3. Push fuel filler pull tab through slot and gently keep pulling lining away. This should get you enough room to work on unit.

4. Disconnect antenna (push tab) and harness (slide blue clip, then squeeze)

5. Use 10mm wrench or socket loosen two bolts. Slide up unit and remove.

Install:
1. Three more 10 mm nuts and XM unit comes off bracket.
2. At this point you need to figure out how to mount the SIR-GM1. The screw tabs on the unit overhang the bracket. I used double sided tape to affix the unit and then wrapped electrical tape around the SIR-GM1 and the bracket in various places. When you look at it it will be evident on what you think the best way is to do it. Just be aware there isn't much slack in the antenna cable so the antenna connector on the SIR-GM1 should face downwards.

3. Next you will need to prepare antenna end. On the connector is a pink square. Use a small screwdriver and gently pry it out. Then look for a small tab on the bottom of the connector and gently pry outwards. Antenna lead should fall out.

4. Plug in supplied single cable harness from the kit and slide the unit back into trunk.

5. Tighten bolts and connect harness and antenna.

6. I used a drop of hot glue on antenna lead and the unit to keep antenna lead more secure.

7. Button things up and activate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts