Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
On the steering column, near the ignition switch...... You should be able to see it when your facing the ignition switch..... Its down, and closer to the steering wheel in reference to ignition switch....

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Great!! Glad you got it working!!!

·
Registered
Cadillac
1 Posts
Perhaps my particular 1993 Eldorado was after a revision of the product line, but the description offered above does not adequately prepare the owner to locate, access, and replace the tun signal flasher in my car. To this end, I offer the following:

The access panel below the steering column must be removed. In order to do so, locate the two self-threading bolts (9/32" socket works on the ones in my car) that secure both the black plastic under-dash fascia, as well as the trim color (in my case beige) cover just below the steering column. With these two bolts removed, pull down on the black plastic fascia, and it will swing down toward the brake pedal. The trim-colored fascia is held in place up by the dash by two spring clips. Merely grasp the fascia by where the steering column emerges just below the instrument panel, and pull downward- the fascia should just pop off- mine did.

Now, you are greeted by a metal stiffener plate, which has four more of these self-taping metal bolts. Remove these four bolts and the plate will fall out. Make sure you keep the first two bolts that secured the fascias separate- they have a wider flange in order to not damage the plastic trim pieces, than the four bolts holding the metal plate in place.

Once this plate is removed, you are now looking at the bottom of the steering column, and a lot of wires. Be careful not to disturb any yellow wires and connectors- these are the air bag deployment signal wires. Don't disconnect the connectors, as any stray static electricity you may have on your body can deploy the airbag in the steering column, and your bank account will dislike you.:yawn: :bonkers: :thepan: Just to the outboard side (toward the driver's door) of the steering column, you will see a small silver-colored cylinder that is secured to the steering column by a metal clip- this is the emergency flasher. On my car, the turn signal indicator is actually secreted away, behind the flange just outboard (again, toward the driver's door) of the steering column. You will not be able to see much of the black, rectangular plastic body of the flasher, but will instead have to feel for it through a semi-rectangular cutout in the metal dash support flange. The flasher is secured to a raised "slot" by a small nickle-chromed clip that is part of the flasher body. It would really help you to have the replacement part ($ 29.00 at the Cadillac dealer) so that you can identify the features I am describing, and it helps keep the image in your mind's eye, while you are probing for the part behind the dash. When you have physically located the flasher, push the flasher body/socket toward the driver's seat- it should only have to move between 1/4 and 1/2 inch to dislodge the clip from the "slot" in the bracket. Once the clip is released, you can pull the flasher, socket, and wiring so that the flasher is protruding from the cutout in the flange. At this point, be careful to note the orientation of the markings on the flasher, in regard to the socket. I was unable to do this, and when I pulled the flasher loose, it popped off, and I was greeted with the numerous sockets for the flasher prongs to fit in, and let me tell you, there are far more sockets than prongs! I had to check three different orientations before I had the proper alignment between the flasher and the socket. Once the flasher is properly aligned and inserted, push the flasher/socket back through the flange cutout, and push the flasher/socket assembly up, with the clip-side down, until it is in contact with the raised "slot" in the flange. Then using two fingers from one's left hand, push the flasher/flange assembly down and toward the brake pedal, while applying steady, orienting pressure on the top of the flasher body with your right hand. There is some contortion required, but you can do it.The clip should engage the "slot", and seat with 1/4 to 1/2 inch of travel.

Turn your ignition on, and check blinker operation. If all works well, turn off the ignition, and replace the metal stiffener plate with the four bolts, and replace the fascias (trim-color first, then the black under-dash fascia), and secure them with the two bolts that have the wider flanges.

Now, go have your favorite beverage, and relax!:alchi: :bouncy:

Cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts