Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Check out my CTS here: http://www.fquick.com/FL01SS
1,651 Posts
Re: WHere is the cheapest and best Clay Bar purchaced?

Mothers & Meguiars both make clay bars & both work great. You can get either at pretty much any auto parts store. The Wal-Mart here doesn't carry them though.

·
Registered
2005 CTS 3.6L, 2006 350Z, Ducati 996s
2,449 Posts

why does everyone on here always go to zaino as the supreme product? there are equally performing brands out there that you dont have to ship for. either mothers or meguairs products are good...both arent very abbrasive, both easy to use, both fairly cheap. i havent used either in a couple years, but the meguairs use to be white, which helped you see the dirt better on the clay bar...easier for a new person to clay to know when to stop using and/or kneed

what other products can you get your hands on?

·
Registered
CTS
2,557 Posts

How often should you clay and wax a black car? Im thinking of getting it done but Ive only had the car for about 9 months.....Is it too soon?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts

How often should you clay and wax a black car? Im thinking of getting it done but Ive only had the car for about 9 months.....Is it too soon?
You can't pamper black enough! I've only had this car for a couple months, so I haven't waxed it yet, but my last car was black too & I would clay, polish & wax it about every 4 months. Black is a lot easier to keep clean when it has a good coat of fresh wax on it. These pic are from a couple months ago right before I sold it. I had just clayed it, buffed it with a light compound, hand polished it with 3M Pink Fill & Glaze & hand waxed it with Meguires Gold class. (I never miss an opportunity to whore out my rides) The car is an 01, but I tried my best to keep it looking new. Would have been easier if I had a garage to park it in.

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6L
2,493 Posts

You can't pamper black enough! I've only had this car for a couple months, so I haven't waxed it yet, but my last car was black too & I would clay, polish & wax it about every 4 months. Black is a lot easier to keep clean when it has a good coat of fresh wax on it. These pic are from a couple months ago right before I sold it. I had just clayed it, buffed it with a light compound, hand polished it with 3M Pink Fill & Glaze & hand waxed it with Meguires Gold class. (I never miss an opportunity to whore out my rides) The car is an 01, but I tried my best to keep it looking new. Would have been easier if I had a garage to park it in.
Very very slick!

I clay bar my car 1x a year. But Ill wax it about 5x

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've used the Zaino clay and was pleased with the results.

I've also done some research and found the prices are fairly similar for the high quality clays. Maybe a couple dollars one way or the other.

I've read some very good reviews about Sonus clays. They make a gray, and a more mild green clay.

I've also seen Clay Magic discussed, but it always seems to be second to Sonus.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/detailingclay.html

Based on what came off my car during the first clay job, I'm convinced you can't do it too early. Even if you have a newer car, consider how long it may have sat out in the elements before you got it.

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6L
2,493 Posts
Ohh the line is going through the 8. I pay 19 for my mother bar. It comes with showtime shine and there is no shipping. just fyi. Im sure that deal is good too though

·
Registered
2,449 Posts

Heh heh, I'm not trying to be an alarmist here, so don't flame ;)

Youre really 9 months behind! Heres what can be imbedded in your brand new paint before you've even taken ownership.
-Rail dust. 70% of new cars still travel on or near a railbed during shipping from factory to dealership/owner.
-Acid rain which can cause etching.
-Plus numerous other contaminants that our beautiful air drops on our paint, especially if you live in a big city.
-lastly (tho I dont think this one affects the CTS...but if any of you own imports, BMW's, Acuras, etc) a car at the port where it is shipped to that is damaged, can repaired at that port, and the dealership can sell that damaged/fixed car as new without disclosing the repair...this generally leaves paint overspray...but like i said, this SHOULD only affect imports

And now, after all that, youve driven for 9 months without protecting it. So yes, You should clay and wax as soon as possible!!

About how often...there is no set period or interval. Its more about your enviroment and products used. Do you live where its really really warm? Wax more often. Synthetics generally last longer the carnauba waxs.

Same deal with claying. To tell if you need to clay...wash your car, put plastic bag on your hand, and run your finger tips over the paint. Does it feel rough? Does the bag grab at the paint? If the paint isn't smooth, you need to clay.
REMEMBER. Unlike what the package says, clay IS abbrasive. Don't be afraid to use the lubricant.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts

You can't pamper black enough! I've only had this car for a couple months, so I haven't waxed it yet.
If you really want to pamper youre paint, you should wax it as soon as you get it. I wax/seal my paint as soon as I get it home.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts

If you really want to pamper youre paint, you should wax it as soon as you get it. I wax/seal my paint as soon as I get it home.
It was waxed at the dealership before I picked it up. What I meant was I haven't waxed it myself yet.

·
Registered
CTS
115 Posts
Has anyone used these products, They make a liquid clay! AFriend of mine is a limo builder and told me this stuff (spyder) is great. I just ordered the Zaino kit. I may order a bottle of this stuff and compare the 2.

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
I generally use Zaino clay, but tried either Mother's or Meguiars (don't remember which) because I saw it at a local auto store. I figured clay was clay. I found the non-Zaino clay quickly lost it's consistency as it absorbed the lubricant while the Zaino remained firm. I'm back to Zaino. In fact, the winter has been so mild, I just made my spring order because there have been so many good weekend days to wash cars.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts