Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2017 CT6 Platinum 3.0TT, 2004 XLR
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where is the SD card slot? Can someone post a picture? I think it is the plastic covered area in the truck on the passenger's side near the tail light. Am I right? If so, then I inserted my card in the right spot, but the car doesn't recognize it. A small portion of it still sticks out from the plastic base. Is it not in all the way? Should the trailing edge of the card be flush with the plastic base? It doesn't seem to be able to go in any farther. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
SRX,ATS,CTS(2), CT6
72 Posts
Yes, it's in the trunk near right tail light. It should go in flush, perhaps you have it upside down?

If its not recognized, you may need to format the card. The car needs the old fat32 standard. Most currently sold cards are in a newer format. Also, 32gb is the max. I used a 64gb card and had to partition it then reformat to fat32 with an app I downloaded to my windows PC. It's not user friendly and frankly cadillac should just step up and install a $8 sd card before delivering the $80,000 car to the customer so they can teach you how the recorder works during the delivery process,.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
SRX,ATS,CTS(2), CT6
72 Posts
Also, some have suggested the card will not be recognized if it's completely empty. You may need to dump a random file in the directory before installing the card.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ornery, TheOldBatu and Billee. I really appreciate the help. I will have access later tonight and will check out your suggestions. I will let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Everyone, I got it working thanks to all of you! :)👍 I found that the card was not inserted all the way 🥴. I made sure it was inserted and then got the "Video Unavailable Message". I then pressed the grayed out camera icon, drove a short distance, stopped and was able to play back my drive. I would not have known what to do had you guys not shared your experience. Thank you!

Also, what a convoluted process! Why doesn't the manual clearly show where the slot is, and why doesn't it clearly describe the process? The card slot isn't clearly marked. I just had to deduce that the area where the gray cover was had to be it. Also why put the slot in the trunk? 👎 It would be so much easier to find if it were in the center console.

·
Registered
2009 STS, V6, AWD
75 Posts
Everyone, I got it working thanks to all of your! :)👍 I found that the card was not inserted all the way 🥴. I made sure it was inserted and then got the "Video Unavailable Message". I then pressed the grayed out camera icon, drove a short distance, stopped and was able to play back my drive. I would not have know what to do had you guys not shared your experience. Thank you!
Also, what a convoluted process! Why doesn't the manual clearly show where the slot is and why doesn't it clearly describe the process? The card slot isn't clearly marked. I just had to deduce that the area where the gray cover was had to be it. Also why put the slot in the trunk? 👎 It would be so much easier to find if it were in the center console.
I think I read somewhere that if the car is tampered with, it will then record video using the cameras so if that is the case, then it would be more secure in the trunk and not obvious to location as you found out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I think I read somewhere that if the car is tampered with, it will then record video using the cameras so if that is the case, then it would be more secure in the trunk and not obvious to location as you found out.
You have a point. But still, why should we have to hunt for it?

·
Registered
2018 CT6
82 Posts
An Interesting story regarding finding this device. When I picked up my vehicle about 2 years ago, I was told that The Dealership's "Expert" on the Cadillac line was out. So, I was told to drive the car for a week or so and then come back as there would undoubtably be a number of items I would find that would need explaining. They were right. So, I took my list back to the dealership. Number one on the list was where was this card to be inserted. The Expert first told me that I did not have the option. Bad sign. I showed the individual on the window sticker that it was not an option but listed as part of the standard features. This led the individual to say that she needed some help. So much for the "Expert" title. So, the next individual got into my vehicle and started rummaging through my glove box. After the fifth time of me saying that the manual stated that the slot was in the trunk, we went to the trunk. After a few minutes the unobtrusive slot was found. This was just the beginning of my adventures of Cadillac "experts". I went around and around with them on Play lists. I finally had to do my own investigation of that issue before I got it to work flawlessly

·
Registered
SRX,ATS,CTS(2), CT6
72 Posts
So...nearly every interaction with the dealer results in the customer being asked to complete a survey. And.....of course the dealer asks the customer to please be sure and fill it out as "completely satisfied" because "anything less is viewed as a failing grade by GM". As customers we HAVE to stop feeling bad for our dealer and start giving candid feedback. Tell them their sales people and delivery "experts" dont know the product. Tell them the user manual is poorly written and full of outright errors. Tell them the damn feature only works half the time. No effort gets expended fixing stuff when the surveys are all 5 star reviews.

·
Registered
2018 CT6
82 Posts
As a follow on to your post ECurtis, I did complain loudly about the Playlist debacle. I was finally told that the District Rep would be made available to me. I met the Gentleman in the showroom as he was standing around looking like he had nothing better to do that day. I introduced myself and he inquired to what was my problem. I said Playlist do not work. To which he commented, "What are Playlist?". It all went downhill from there. So, we, along with a Dealership person went to my car so I could show him. By now apparently, he came around to what I was talking about and I stated I was using a 128 Gig Thumbdrive. Then the 1-800 "talking points" came out. "Well it can "only" be a 32 Gigabyte Drive. I explained that there was no such limitation for this feature in the manual (There is a 32 Gigabyte limitation on the SD card for the Video feature this thread is about). So, into the console I went and just for grins pulled out a 32 GB thumbdrive. When he saw that, his verbiage turned to: It "should" only be a 32 GB drive. A few retorts from me again about the manual, His next statement was priceless. "The manual is not always Right". To which I stated, the manual states that if I depress the pedal to the left of the gas pedal the vehicle will come to a stop. I then asked the Rep, since the manual is not always right can I not depend on that feature also. He was dumbfound for an answer. I quickly in the most harshest of terms asked him to remove himself from my vehicle. I left the dealership and then began my own investigation of Playlist. I wish this was my only encounter of issues with Technology in the CT6 I have had with Cadillac, but the list goes on. The service departments are very good at mechanical issues, but the technology in this car leaves them bewildered.

·
Registered
2009 STS, V6, AWD
75 Posts
As a follow on to your post ECurtis, I did complain loudly about the Playlist debacle. I was finally told that the District Rep would be made available to me. I met the Gentleman in the showroom as he was standing around looking like he had nothing better to do that day. I introduced myself and he inquired to what was my problem. I said Playlist do not work. To which he commented, "What are Playlist?". It all went downhill from there. So, we, along with a Dealership person went to my car so I could show him. By now apparently, he came around to what I was talking about and I stated I was using a 128 Gig Thumbdrive. Then the 1-800 "talking points" came out. "Well it can "only" be a 32 Gigabyte Drive. I explained that there was no such limitation for this feature in the manual (There is a 32 Gigabyte limitation on the SD card for the Video feature this thread is about). So, into the console I went and just for grins pulled out a 32 GB thumbdrive. When he saw that, his verbiage turned to: It "should" only be a 32 GB drive. A few retorts from me again about the manual, His next statement was priceless. "The manual is not always Right". To which I stated, the manual states that if I depress the pedal to the left of the gas pedal the vehicle will come to a stop. I then asked the Rep, since the manual is not always right can I not depend on that feature also. He was dumbfound for an answer. I quickly in the most harshest of terms asked him to remove himself from my vehicle. I left the dealership and then began my own investigation of Playlist. I wish this was my only encounter of issues with Technology in the CT6 I have had with Cadillac, but the list goes on. The service departments are very good at mechanical issues, but the technology in this car leaves them bewildered.
Thanks for sharing that incident which is so relevant in general to service issues. Just one question, what is the maximum size of flash drive you can use for your vehicle?

Here is another example of dealers not always knowing about a problem. Just last year or so because of some GPS issue, many models of GM vehicles with Denso navigation units lost the time, date and some map capabilities if the battery was disconnected/replaced. I was not aware of this issue until I needed a battery and I guess they did not use one of those units that prevents the circuit from totally draining. So I noticed when I left that the time was not there just dashes but didn't think too much of it since the battery was replaced and I was just pulling outside so I figured it would reset. Ultimately, I researched the issue since I could not set it because the way those units were made, the time/date must come first from the GPS and those satellites changed at some point. Finally, Denso came up with a fix around December 2019 but not for every STS model which is what I have although the fix will work on some older ones as posts indicate. The point is when I called the dealer first on the issue, they said they were aware of it but no one mentioned it to me that day I was there and they did not have a fix for it. When the fix came out shortly thereafter, I mentioned it to the service writers who were not even aware of it and I don't think believed me even though I had already applied it my unit which then and now works as it should. So as you say, you have to often do your own research and not rely on an "expert" or anyone who thinks he/she is one. Here is the thread if anyone is interested in the issue if you have an STS, Corvette, and other GM models which are included in the service bulletin:

Service bulletin:

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 CT6
82 Posts
To answer your question, I am using a 128 Gig Thumbdrive for my music. At the time I started this endeavor it was the only size I had laying around. I did as I said have the 32 but it did not hold my complete song archive and now as I continue to build my song list, I just keep sync it from my computer.

·
Registered
2009 STS, V6, AWD
75 Posts
To answer your question, I am using a 128 Gig Thumbdrive for my music. At the time I started this endeavor it was the only size I had laying around. I did as I said have the 32 but it did not hold my complete song archive and now as I continue to build my song list, I just keep sync it from my computer.
Thanks for the information. I am thinking about getting a CT6 and was wondering about the limitations of using any external drives. I know they have Apple Car Play but I've never used that either so I am learning about these things as I go along. My STS has the CD/DVD changer and AV input but that was it in 2009.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts