Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to my FSM for the 1992 Eldorado, there is a current draw limiter for the power window motor, which in effect stops the motor when the current draw is limited (end of travel typically). The FSM drawing seems to show it in the power window motor, but I don't think it is there. I suspect it is built into the window switch circuit board. Anybody have any experience with this?

·
Registered
85 Eldo Biarritz
808 Posts
Nope, but it seems reasonable that it is built-in into the motor. Many motors I've dealt with have thremal cut-out switches built-in, so why not a current limiter? I suspect the current limiter is a thermal one. If too much current passes through it, it heats up and breaks the contacts.

Sort of like an old flasher unit, but for more current and slower response. That is my speculation.

Why are you asking? What is the specific problem?

Peteski

·
Registered
2008 SRX-V8, 1991 Eldorado
1,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
peteski said:
Nope, but it seems reasonable that it is built-in into the motor. Many motors I've dealt with have thremal cut-out switches built-in, so why not a current limiter? I suspect the current limiter is a thermal one. If too much current passes through it, it heats up and breaks the contacts.

Sort of like an old flasher unit, but for more current and slower response. That is my speculation.

Why are you asking? What is the specific problem?

Peteski
Thanks!
I have since learned that the "PTC" is indeed built into the motor. What caused me to ask was the motor still works, but stops. I can hear a click when it stops. I was not sure if the motor was overloaded (rotor lock) due to a worn regulator or if the armature was grounding out.

I checked the switch for continuity and found it okay. When I checked the motor it seemed fine. Apparently the armature is grounding when in motion. I've ordered a new window motor.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Sometimes they will stop but the motor will keep spinning, making a clicking or grinding sound (not a single click but many in rapid succession).
If that is the case the internal gears are stripped and you need a window motor anyway.

·
Registered
85 Eldo Biarritz
808 Posts
Yeah, I ended up reading your other thread (PTC). Sounds like you have things under control...

Peteski

1 - 5 of 5 Posts