Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all;
I'm finally getting a chance, after two years, of putting the left door panel back on my 77 DeVille.
What I can't figure out is where this round foam piece goes. it looks like it would make sense to put it around the remote mirror cable, because it's definitely not fitting around any wiring.
It must be some sort of anti-rattle/moisture barrier. Does it go behind
the moisture barrier, on top of the moisture barrier, under the noise insulation of the door panel? HELP!
Would like to finish this endeavor today. See photo attached.
Any clues, photos, diagrams, anything would help. Thanks.
Andrew in NH.
Foam piece.jpg

·
Registered
90 Brougham 5.7, 05 Deville DTS
1,177 Posts
On the 1980s and my 1990 broughams a similar part goes by the inside door handle.

·
Registered
Cadillac
870 Posts
I would think it would go all the way toward the mirror side of that cable where it passes through the door jamb to keep moisture from traveling into the rest of the cable.

BTW, not to hijack the thread but where should I source the cable/mirror for my '77? The "Up" cable is busted from the rear of the mirror :(

·
Registered
96 FWB
893 Posts
It slips over the door pull on top of that paper insulator and pretty much just a visual blockout to the (usually oversized) pull opening in the door panel.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Godfather-Eric and FTSS: I also took apart the right door panel, in search of another mystery involving screws. Figured that out pretty quickly.
There is no foam seal on either door of my Cad for the inside door pull, so I don't think that's where it goes, Right door doesn't have it, left one does.
Eric: You may be on to something, that's why I placed it on the cable cause it made sense.Where to get the mirror cable? Not sure. Try USA parts. They have everything new and used, but they are not cheap.
I got my over the roof landau top trim clips from them used. No one else had them.

FTSS: The door pull. You're talking about the big strap that allows you to close the door from inside, right? :unsure: I'll have to investigate further on that one, but think you could be right. But why isn't it on the right door then?
I think it still has something to do with that remote mirror. It fit's the cable perfectly, but where does it sit against the door?
I'll figure it out eventually. Thank you all, and if any one else wishes to chime in, that would be great.
Andrew in NH

·
Registered
Cadillac
870 Posts
Godfather-Eric and FTSS: I also took apart the right door panel, in search of another mystery involving screws. Figured that out pretty quickly.
There is no foam seal on either door of my Cad for the inside door pull, so I don't think that's where it goes, Right door doesn't have it, left one does.
Eric: You may be on to something, that's why I placed it on the cable cause it made sense.Where to get the mirror cable? Not sure. Try USA parts. They have everything new and used, but they are not cheap.
I got my over the roof landau top trim clips from them used. No one else had them.

FTSS: The door pull. You're talking about the big strap that allows you to close the door from inside, right? :unsure: I'll have to investigate further on that one, but think you could be right. But why isn't it on the right door then?
I think it still has something to do with that remote mirror. It fit's the cable perfectly, but where does it sit against the door?
I'll figure it out eventually. Thank you all, and if any one else wishes to chime in, that would be great.
Andrew in NH
Thanks much for the USA Parts recommendation. I checked their catalog and they show only '80+ for the exterior pass side mirror. And, those, are, gold plated! $300 !!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all;
I'm finally getting a chance, after two years, of putting the left door panel back on my 77 DeVille.
What I can't figure out is where this round foam piece goes. it looks like it would make sense to put it around the remote mirror cable, because it's definitely not fitting around any wiring.
It must be some sort of anti-rattle/moisture barrier. Does it go behind
the moisture barrier, on top of the moisture barrier, under the noise insulation of the door panel? HELP!
Would like to finish this endeavor today. See photo attached.
Any clues, photos, diagrams, anything would help. Thanks.
Andrew in NH.
View attachment 584337

Goes on the door handle just got into mine

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts