Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to lift my 06 STS in my garage and work on things that are usually out of site. The manual is specific on where to place the jacks, and the car even has arrows on the rocker panel to direct the mechanically-challenged where the jack is to go. Once up, where in the front area and rear areas can jack stands be placed safely? It must be different than the jacking points, because the jack is in the way after lifting. And, the jack stands can’t interfere with the jacking points so that car can be lowered.

So please help me out on where I can place the jack stands safely and without doing any damage to the underbody or mechanicals. :confused:

·
Registered
'06 Northstar STS 1SG, PHP, ACC/HUD '06 Redline CTS-V, FG2
242 Posts
Ask your dealer's service advisor to print the jacking and support instructions from the online service manual.

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ask your dealer's service advisor to print the jacking and support instructions from the online service manual.
George - Thank you for the reply. I got to wondering why no one was answering, so I got off my personal rear bumper and went over to Sewell Cadillac in Grapevine. A service tech took me out to the shop and showed me the points of strength on cars on their lifts. We discussed where you do, and where you don't place jack stands. This answered my query completely. :)

To pass along what I learned, under part of the car is a unibody, so there are specific points to use. The forward frame rails adjacent to the front jacking points are good, as are the reinforce corners of the under-cradle of the engine (do not use the center or outboard corners, which are part of the crash-crumple system). Note that the most weight of this car is in the front, and a N* model is h e a v y. In the rear, a good place is directly adjacent to the rear jacking pint - its a frame section from the rear and has a series of bolts in it. It is considered strong. Never place any jacks or stands under the rear differential!

The next time I am in the shop I will ask for a copy the the jacking and support instructions from the online service manual.

Happy Trails.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 Lux, 2011 Escalade EXT Prem
283 Posts
I at one time did try jacking the rear of the car from the diff.... almost impossible to get rear tires off the ground with a standard height floor jack because of the independent rear suspension, and getting the tires off the ground was my goal. It didn't hurt anything, but I won't do that again. The safest way... no jacks or stands. To change my oil I drive the front wheels onto two 2x12's... just enough height for me to comfortably get under car. By the way... my car is RWD. Do not drive driven wheels onto any kind of ramp!!!! I could have killed someone when I tried to do this!!! I attempted to drive the rear wheels onto two 2x12s, and they both ended up about 50 feet from my rear bumper in the street.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts