Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Vector Blue Auto ATS V Sedan
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LOL...
International Journal of Psychology found that drivers of luxury German sports cars are more likely to be “self-centered men who are argumentative, stubborn, disagreeable, and unempathetic.”

·
Registered
2018 XT5, 2008 Corvette C6 Coupe, 2013 LTZ 3500 Dually, 2016 Chevy LTZ, Z71 crew cab, 2016 ATS V Cou
65 Posts
LOL...
International Journal of Psychology found that drivers of luxury German sports cars are more likely to be “self-centered men who are argumentative, stubborn, disagreeable, and unempathetic.”
In other words these are people who are discriminating in choice, understand the full scope of available choices. People who know that they are responsible for any action they set In motion and are ready to accaept the consequences of those choices. People who refuse to fit into patterns just because that's the way the rest of society does it.

Hmmmmn, that sounds like a description of what we should all be proud of; traits usually displayed in inventors, engineers, people who start their own businesses, hard working, decisive people.

Oh, and classically, the psychologists mis interpret what they believe is a "lack of empathy" when in reality it's an implicit refusal to assume responsibility for actions that you did not set into motion.

I'll be that guy any day over the "new world order *****" the psychologists (idiots) describe.

Hmm, coffee is kicking in pretty hard. Oh well.

·
Registered
2018 XT5, 2008 Corvette C6 Coupe, 2013 LTZ 3500 Dually, 2016 Chevy LTZ, Z71 crew cab, 2016 ATS V Cou
65 Posts
In other words these are people who are discriminating in choice, understand the full scope of available choices. People who know that they are responsible for any action they set In motion and are ready to accaept the consequences of those choices. People who refuse to fit into patterns just because that's the way the rest of society does it.

Hmmmmn, that sounds like a description of what we should all be proud of; traits usually displayed in inventors, engineers, people who start their own businesses, hard working, decisive people.

Oh, and classically, the psychologists mis interpret what they believe is a "lack of empathy" when in reality it's an implicit refusal to assume responsibility for actions that you did not set into motion.

I'll be that guy any day over the "new world order *" the psychologists (idiots) describe.

Hmm, coffee is kicking in pretty hard.

"New world order" kitty cat.."

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V, 2007 XLR, 1970 GTO, 1970 Torino GT
142 Posts
First off....psychologists are NOT idiots. When people who often disagree with valid research findings.... it is usually because they are rationalizing their unacceptable social behaviors. Unfortunalesly, these days we live in an era of self indulgent, entitled behavior where people believe that they are the only people that matter. In my 4 decades of responsible driving experience with absolutely NO tickets ever....I have observed that BMW drivers, in particular, exhibit the most discourteous, aggressive, reckless and lack of knowledge of fundamental rules of the road such as what "right of way" means and what safe following distances mean and the use of turn signals..... of almost any other drivers.
I am sure that I will get all kinds of hateful comments from people that disagree, but I was raised to accept and not disrespect people of differing opinions. Civil discourse truly matters! :)

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V sedan 6 speed manual
297 Posts
I dunno about all BMW drivers - I autocross with a bunch of them. Some certainly can be overbearing and arrogant but they're balanced out by others who are much more tolerant and thoughtful.

As an aside, have you ever noticed that the bigger the vehicle, the dumber the driver? Yes, SUV and pickup drivers, I'm looking at you... :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V, 2007 XLR, 1970 GTO, 1970 Torino GT
142 Posts
Yes....I have noticed that with SUV and pickup drivers, but again I try not to judge or belittle other people. Apparently they think that size matters...but really it doesn't...not even when this clique phrase is used in reference to the male anatomy.... :ROFLMAO: We all have our own imperfections. :)

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V Long Roof; '10 CTS Long Roof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4
13,976 Posts
LOL...
Perfectly describes BMW drivers.

Do you know the difference between a BMW and a porcupine?

A porcupine has its pricks on the outside.

·
Registered
96 FWB
207 Posts
Well, if this didn't start out as a topic non-specific to any single Cady platform............it's certainly graduated to that point -- and allowing anyone to join in. Full disclosure, I'm neither psychologist, psychiatrist, psychoanalyst, or even very bright. However, it's the basest human nature and defense mechanism to compartmentalize, segment and differentiate everything in existence in attempt to invent order and make sense of environmental chaos surrounding us all. Hence prejudice and stereotyping anything and everything possible, including drivers and their cars (including trucks, SUVs and especially filthy nasty disgusting stupid ugly minivans).

If you think our common stereotypes for marques and their drivers from different countries are humorous, then you'd get an absolute blast from comments in those countries regarding American cars, --- and drivers. There's extra special remarks saved just for Cadillacs, and the extraordinary personality flaws of their owners. I'll listen attentively for awhile, and when I show them what I drive it's about 50/50 between, "See that's exactly what I'm talking about", or "Geee I would have never thought you drive a Cadillac". Cracks me up.

Oh BTW and FTR Germans also have charming stereotypes for the drivers of each of their own carmakers.

I can't vouch for the majority of Cady owners, but the description of BMW drivers above is spot on for every guy I know who drives a crest-n-wreath that's over 20 years old. ::raspberries::

·
Registered
65 Posts
First off....psychologists are NOT idiots. When people who often disagree with valid research findings.... it is usually because they are rationalizing their unacceptable social behaviors. Unfortunalesly, these days we live in an era of self indulgent, entitled behavior where people believe that they are the only people that matter. In my 4 decades of responsible driving experience with absolutely NO tickets ever....I have observed that BMW drivers, in particular, exhibit the most discourteous, aggressive, reckless and lack of knowledge of fundamental rules of the road such as what "right of way" means and what safe following distances mean and the use of turn signals..... of almost any other drivers.
I am sure that I will get all kinds of hateful comments from people that disagree, but I was raised to accept and not disrespect people of differing opinions. Civil discourse truly does matter. Quote.

First off, I must admit I have had four, maybe five speeding tickets in my 51 years of driving. I feel so much better after getting that off my chest.

It's my opinion that many psychologist are idiots and wrong thinking people that unfortunately, in some cases have dominion over the lives of others in court cases. It seemingly occurs that sometimes the emotional disposition of the psychologist may color the outcome and so called diagnosis. That's just my opinion and I'm saying it with a smile, but I'm serious nonetheless.

In fact there have been several scientific studies done recently which tend to show completely non repeatable outcomes in both diagnostic and treatment protocols where psychology is concerned. Like this one: Psychology experiments are failing the replication test – how is this surprising? | John Ioannidis

That being said one should not take a random statement and apply specific facts to it when it is nothing more than a comical opinion on a Cadillac forum board. Lol.

To me the qualities described by the psychologist may be applied to anyone driving any vehicle in a discourteous manner.

My take on it is the psychologist tried to lump all BMW drivers into a specific group when in reality that type of thinking could just as easily be applied to Cadillac V, Corvette, Ferraris or any other sports cars. It's ridiculous to apply specific personality traits to a particular vehicle choice. Ridiculous, comical, funny, etc. Not scientific. Not to be put under the banner of a professional psychologist opinion.

Also I don't know why you preemptively think that you will be attacked for your beliefs, as stated, " I am sure that I will get all kinds of hateful comments from people that disagree, but I was raised to accept and not disrespect people of differing opinions."

I am respectfully finding your post to differ with my own opinions and I am replying in kind.

It's all good, brother, but I still think most psychologists are new world order "pussies". "Kitty cats"

Now if you wanted to discuss psychiatrists and their modalities then we might better compare apples to apples. Yet, sadly even with much higher educational standards, those guys are having their troubles too these days.

It is all a silly discussion on a Cadillac forum, not a true arbiter of facts.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I noticed I got the quote section and my comment section where I replied all screwed up and the two are not separated. This may imply grave psychological inadequacies on my part. Or I'm not qualified to use the normal board functions. That could be it.
I may have to see my psychologist to find out if I should sell my V because of it.

·
Registered
2019 ATS-V, Black Raven, all options, no mods
75 Posts
I dunno about all BMW drivers - I autocross with a bunch of them. Some certainly can be overbearing and arrogant but they're balanced out by others who are much more tolerant and thoughtful.

As an aside, have you ever noticed that the bigger the vehicle, the dumber the driver? Yes, SUV and pickup drivers, I'm looking at you... :ROFLMAO:
With the glaring exception of Prius drivers, it definitely seems that way. Just this morning I had a weird bevy of pickup trucks that seemed to almost randomly want to clog up both available lanes for a couple miles until they were unable to prevent me from blasting around them by utilizing a newly available third lane. I've always been of the mindset of letting people freely pass me. I have zero interest in preventing someone from going faster than I want to go. I also had a guy in a truck yesterday basically just ooze out from the side street of a parking lot, wearing a hoodie and looking opposite my oncoming direction. He finally looked to his left to see me after I blew the horn, but then just gave me his best attempt at a menacing eye while gradually continuing at a snail's pace. So weird and self-absorbed.

Priusi are in a whole different category, particularly here in California. It's a bizarre combination of smugness, lack of vehicle performance capability and ignorance of common driving practices. Most of the time when I encounter a bad driver they're in a truck, a BMW or a Prius.

·
Registered
2016 Vector Blue Auto ATS V Sedan
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Prius drivers for sure! Not all of them of course, but all too often those dam* cockroach cars are camped in the left lane. I just don't get it. Must be something in the owner's manual or a secret pinky-shake oath they take before leaving the dealer.

·
Registered
96 FWB
207 Posts
I noticed I got the quote section and my comment section where I replied all screwed up and the two are not separated. This may imply grave psychological inadequacies on my part. Or I'm not qualified to use the normal board functions. That could be it.
I may have to see my psychologist to find out if I should sell my V because of it.
Or, it merely implies you don't know how to edit to mask alleged inadequacies. Top right corner of your post, 3 dots. You have 24 hours to edit any given post, which by the counter shows about 5 hours remaining. After that just ask an Admin a favor.

Afterward, you can also 'edit' the follow-up to suit. Here's an appropriate filler if you wish:

See, I'm always especially nice to -V owners. They trigger easy.

·
Registered
96 FWB
207 Posts
I dunno about all BMW drivers - ..... balanced out by others who are much more tolerant and thoughtful....
There's an 800- number you're supposed to report them to the manufacturer.

I'll have you know I resemble that remark. Not an SUV, but longer wheelbase than most. And don't tip over as easy:

And when I feel especially manly:

·
Registered
2016 ATS4 2.0T and a bunch of other stuff....
526 Posts
Most of the time when I encounter a bad driver they're in a truck, a BMW or a Prius.
Around my neck of the woods, it's green minivans or any Subaru wagon.
God help you if the Subaru wagon is green!

·
Registered
96 FWB
207 Posts
My wife --> ADORES <-- Subaru AWD SUVs. Then again she loves her Tribute. I always notice them before she does, and when I say, "It's not so ugly" she goes "Where. Where." And I'll admit the green is one seriously ugly color, plus infinity with that Aztec looking 2-tone.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V Coupe (Catti-V)
1,558 Posts
So, first this doesn't belong in the ATS-V forum, post it under general off topic area.
2nd, I didn't get past the first bit of dribble when I had more important things to do, like enjoy driving my car instead of bloviating on how everyone other than me is as an arsehole. To me this whole topic is ripe with pinky in the air narcisism.

·
Registered
96 FWB
207 Posts
First, agree wholeheartedly and exactly the point I and a few others are making about the negative and counterproductive effects of stereotyping.
Next, we can only post in the thread the OP started, but agree (and even remarked) the issue is not limited to any one group of Cady owners. But I kinda enjoyed playing with sarcasm to display how pigeon-holing people into denigrating boxes does not showcase one's highest intelligence. I entirely support it if you request a Mod or Admin to move this thread. The 'Report' button might work for that.

And thanks, I learned a new word.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V Infared, 2013ATS, 2016 ATSV
916 Posts
As someone with 3 Cadillacs (CTSV, ATSV and ATS), 8 BMWs 3 of which are M3's I feel I can comment. Unfortunately for BMW owners, these days BMW is just a upscale label. Most people buying them are just buying the name. The real car fans are really in the minority. So you have many people who think they are great drivers because they have BMWs. It is annoying. I told my wife when I got her a 135i that no one would give her any consideration because now she was in the jerk BMW. Almost daily she complains about trucks cutting her off or tailgating. Something she never had when she had her CTS.
Those of us who are car guys appreciate any nice car. Our cars and coffee has a selection of BMWs, sometimes my GMW, new Mustangs, my ATSV whatever. BMW seems to have more jerks because there are more on the road. Us Cadillac drivers all fly under the radar.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was worried that this thread would lead to the dark side that is typically of online "discussions." But, I've really enjoyed the banter here! That I don't agree with everything stated, but that the conversation was thoughtful and in some cases humorous makes me proud to be a Caddy guy!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts