Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's just say yesterday was a long day, before I realized what I was doing I drained my transmission instead of my oil pan :(

I now need to refill my Transmission but can't for the life of me figure out where the the Transmission fill plug is. I know it's under the car, but that's about it.

Really appreciate any help, guidance, or resources!

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
2,301 Posts
I hope you have a good sense of humor, because that is hilarious, although it's not the first time I've heard of it happening due to a far worse case where a beginning tech in a shop didn't realize it, but I did after he explained the oil pan drain plug was stripped (He did it) and needed to be replaced. I asked upon being informed and taking a look if he had ever drained engine oil from that far back in the drive train on an SUV before and pointed to where the motor was.

The instructions are here in a thread somewhere on changing tranny fluid, I don't have it handy anymore but it's pretty straightforward. My guess is you didn't drain much because the plug you removed is actually used to check the level.

The fill point is on the right side of the trans about mid pan on a ledge on the side of the tranny case. There is a rubber plug in it that you remove and pump fluid into. The trans needs to be up to operating temp and the motor running so you have to be careful not to get burnt by the exhaust and not to get run over, or both.

You add fluid until it starts to come out of that drain plug that you removed. When the engine is not running and fluid not being pumped, the level in the pan is higher and that's why trans fluid will come out when the plug is removed cold.

If this is an AWD vehicle it will be even more challenging due to the reduced space.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Let's just say yesterday was a long day, before I realized what I was doing I drained my transmission instead of my oil pan :(

I now need to refill my Transmission but can't for the life of me figure out where the the Transmission fill plug is. I know it's under the car, but that's about it.

Really appreciate any help, guidance,
I hope you have a good sense of humor, because that is hilarious, although it's not the first time I've heard of it happening due to a far worse case where a beginning tech in a shop didn't realize it, but I did after he explained the oil pan drain plug was stripped (He did it) and needed to be replaced. I asked upon being informed and taking a look if he had ever drained engine oil from that far back in the drive train on an SUV before and pointed to where the motor was.

The instructions are here in a thread somewhere on changing tranny fluid, I don't have it handy anymore but it's pretty straightforward. My guess is you didn't drain much because the plug you removed is actually used to check the level.

The fill point is on the right side of the trans about mid pan on a ledge on the side of the tranny case. There is a rubber plug in it that you remove and pump fluid into. The trans needs to be up to operating temp and the motor running so you have to be careful not to get burnt by the exhaust and not to get run over, or both.

You add fluid until it starts to come out of that drain plug that you removed. When the engine is not running and fluid not being pumped, the level in the pan is higher and that's why trans fluid will come out when the plug is removed cold.

If this is an AWD vehicle it will be even more challenging due to the reduced space.
This procedure is nearly identical to a C5 Corvette tranny drain and fill. I'd like to add a humorous situation that happened to me. It was NOT funny at the time, though. After getting my C5 back from a "reputable" shop, I decided to check the trans fluid level for myself. I'm fortunate I have my own 2 post lift. Anyway, I started removing the drain plug, scared to death of getting deluged with tranny fluid, because the engine was NOT running. Imagine my shock-AND anger-When I jumped out of the way to avoid the fluid when I removed the plug, and nothing came out!!! So I stuck my little pinky in as far as possible, and felt no fluid anywhere!! I was about a gallon to 6 quarts low! I'm lucky (so are they!!) that I didn't damage the tranny driving it home!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really appreciate the help. I finally gave up and had it towed to a shop. Luckily my Mom is visiting and has AAA, so towing was free. I brought my own fluid and they filled it for $55 bucks. Not too bad actually!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,311 Posts
Good to go - at least now you're a CF member and can get advice and diagnosis on any problems you have with the CTS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts