Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Deville Base, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time turning on AC this year and not cold, compressor not kicking on. All I see in the manual is the front fuse block #26 AC clutch. Does the compressor not have it's own fuse and or relay? What am I missing here? I would like to check these things first before moving on. BTW I released the shrader valve where you put the freon in and although it was strong pressure it was warm air. When freon comes out of the valve isn't it supposed to be cold and wet/

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,105 Posts
The compressor is driven by the serpentine belt - through the clutch and pulley. The compressor itself is not fused or relayed. It's passive.

Refrigerant can be cold gas or warm/hot semi-fluid, depending on where in the system it currently is. Refrigerant is supplied to the expansion orifice as a semi-liquid, it then expands to a very cold gas and in so doing it absorbs heat from the air passing over the evaporator coil in the HVAC stack. It then travels to the condenser in front of the radiator where it is slightly cooled, back to the compressor which turns it to a semi-liquid again.

The high and low refrigerant pressures are monitored and they determine if the system has enough refrigerant to function properly. If not, the compressor clutch is locked out.

Our systems take a very specific total weight of refrigerant and specific amounts of PAG (compressor) oil. It IS rocket science, not just a parts store crummy can gauge.

If you bled refrigerant for more than a second then the system may well be undercharged. To get it right will take a good automotive A/C shop.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok this is what happened. When I stuck my key in the shrader valve it was real strong for maybe 3 seconds and it was dry and hot air ( like coming out of a tire) and then there was no pressure, zero. That was probably a little residual pressure that was left so it seems there was no freon in the system. 2.2 lbs to fill it up correct or 35.2 ozs? Off to auto zone for three cans.

·
Administrator
69,105 Posts
2.2 pounds. You may have to jump through some hoops to clear the high/low pressure switches.

I'd bet that the system needs to be pumped down (special vacuum pump) for a few hours to assure it's dry.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do the fans not run unless the compressor is engaged? I put the defroster or ac on and no fans. Also no low freon lights or anything.

·
Administrator
69,105 Posts
IF the system is functioning and ON it sends a signal to the PCM to run fans in SLOW. No compressor run = no fans except as controlled by the ECT sender.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies Sub, I guess when I charge it up (hopefully today) I will have the majority of my answers. Hopefully it works. Don't know where this freon went because it worked fine last summer. I am not looking to make a project out of this. If adding freon does not cure this I just may leave it alone. I'll use my Corvette if it's real hot outside and I have to go somewhere. I'll keep this thread posted after I add the freon.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I put freon in and it struggled to get one can in (12oz) but it was cold enough. The drivers side was a little warmer and I know this is possibly due to low freon. But at the same time I am having some problems with code B0409 that started in the winter. Sometimes I had heat on the drivers side and sometimes I didn't, that module works when it wants to. So I don't know if my drivers side warmer issue is the B0409 or lack of freon or both. The thing is with no freon in the car it should have drank the first two cans immediately which it didn't, the first can went in very slow and the second can it would not take. Don't know what that is all about. But all in all I do have AC that is cold enough, for now.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,975 Posts
The thing is with no freon in the car it should have drank the first two cans immediately which it didn't, the first can went in very slow and the second can it would not take.
How where you holding the can, top up or top down. Top up (gas), you may have to heat the can in warm water to get it to empty. Top down (liquid) will empty it all.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How where you holding the can, top up or top down. Top up (gas), you may have to heat the can in warm water to get it to empty. Top down (liquid) will empty it all.
At first I put the top down (like I always do) and it was hardly doing anything so I then put the top up. No difference. So I then started shaking the can, no difference. I have done many a car in my life, especially a lot of junkers and when there is no freon in the system the first can empties almost immediately. Not so this time. Strange. Of course I am assuming my car was bone empty, which I'm pretty sure it was. Like I said zero pressure when I pushed in the schrader valve. That was my only way to diagnosis it. I have no gauges for AC.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,975 Posts
Ron, do you have a low refrigerant DTC? If so, that will disable the compressor and prevent it from drawing in the refrigerant and you'll have to clear that DTC before adding refrigerant.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ron, do you have a low refrigerant DTC? If so, that will disable the compressor and prevent it from drawing in the refrigerant and you'll have to clear that DTC before adding refrigerant.
I never got the low refrigerant even when there was no freon in the car. That was strange. I checked the codes twice and no codes. Going to attempt to put the second can in now. Running the can under hot water now to warm it up.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Some cars take forever to accept refrigerant. My Deville used to take about 10 mins to empty one can then even slower for the subsequent cans, but it did take all eventually. The van we have was the same way, but Seville on the other hand I was done with 3 cans in 10 mins.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
With no gauges, you're wasting your time.
I beg to differ. Doing it midstream is one thing but with a car that is bone empty when you know the exact amount it takes to me is a no brainer and the cans work fine. You can get pretty close.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok fixed the B0409 code with the new module, heat works great on both sides now and the code is gone. However it didn't cure the drivers side AC as it is still a little warmer than the passenger side. So now I know I have a low refrigerant problem but like I said earlier the damn thing won't take any more freon, just the 12 ozs I got in it from empty. Looks like I now will need professional help and have it put on the machine, evacuate it and start from scratch and hope for the best. The good thing is that at least I know the system works because the passenger side is cold with what I assume is only 12-14 ozs of freon that I got in it out of the 32.5 it takes.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,509 Posts
Ok fixed the B0409 code with the new module, heat works great on both sides now and the code is gone. However it didn't cure the drivers side AC as it is still a little warmer than the passenger side. So now I know I have a low refrigerant problem but like I said earlier the damn thing won't take any more freon, just the 12 ozs I got in it from empty. Looks like I now will need professional help and have it put on the machine, evacuate it and start from scratch and hope for the best. The good thing is that at least I know the system works because the passenger side is cold with what I assume is only 12-14 ozs of freon that I got in it out of the 32.5 it takes.
====================
PM sent

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok so after taking Basscat's private advice I got the freon in and all vents are ice cold! But the thing is I only put in 22-24 ozs of freon into what I assume and hoping was a empty system. So the system is short roughly 10-12 ozs but it is real cold out of all vents. (38F) I am leaving it as is and will monitor the situation.

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
909 Posts
If you filled an empty system, without vacuum, the atmosphere in the system it is taking up space, limiting the amount of Freon if filling by a guage.. If there is moisture In the original atmosphere, then you are at risk of freeze ups just past the orifice.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK so just a little update of why I was having so much trouble getting the freon in. Those cheap hoses that come with the can! I had two of them, one where you turn the needle in and out and one with gauge where you pull the trigger. Both were faulty after I tried to add freon to my friends freonless car. Couldn't get a bit out of either hose. So I went to auto zone and bought this one and it worked like a charm. As soon as you pulled the lever it came right out. I filled my friends car almost instantly (with close to the proper amount)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts