Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2016 XTS4, 2010 DTS (gone), '07 STS4 (gone), '03 DHS (gone)
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know OnStar is going to change from analogue to digital. When will it happen and which is the cutoff year after which the system will still work?

With my '03 DHS, will I just have to unscrew the antenna and put duct-tape over those buttons under my rearview mirror anytime soon?

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
The entire US analog cellular system (not just OnStar) will go dark on January 1, 2008. I would expect cellular providers in Canada will do likewise at some point.

Your '03 model can be upgraded to digital phone hardware if you are willing to pay the cost.

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
It's $15 installation + one year of service prepaid - so two bills and change will keep you hooked up. I think OnStar's official analog shutdown takes place in October of 2007.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I think the actual FCC ruling gives the networks until February before they start shutting off stuff, but OnStar is planning to stop billing for non-converted systems and deactivate subscriptions on Jan 1, 2008. (as far as I know)

·
Registered
Cadillac 2003 DHS DeVille
8 Posts
Hello to everyone here....wanting to know about On-Star going from analog to digital. I have an 03 DHS Cadillac with the analog set up. I was in touch with On-Star just last week....to check into having their service activated in my car. I bought my DHS as a Certified Pre-Owned car. I was told just to bring it in to by local Cadillac Dealership...make an appointment to have the conversion done...the Dealership has to order a kit to change it out...Only thing is...the total cost for doing this is $315.00. There is a $15 dollar service charge...a $200.00 annual fee for membership to On-Star...and the other $100.00 charge On-Star is calling an Activation Fee...that everyone must pay now...since Feburary of 2007. On-Star will tell you that they will pay the dealership for the conversion...but actually...YOU..the owner of the car are paying for it...with that $100.00 charge...Believe me...I talked to several of the Reps via phone...from home..and using the phone in my car..and even through emails...and discovered that being there are many cars out there with the analog set up in them...and the Dealership has to be the one to change it out to digital....GM and On-Star...along with the dealership found a way to make us pay...for their new set up...I will eventually pay the cost for the conversion. But I think for now....what is more important to me is to add onto my DHS car the (6) CD Changer that can be installed in the glove box....Oh..by the way...the going to Digital is going to happen, they told me, the end of this year....So when January 2008 arrives...that is when Digital will be the only way On-Star will work in later model year cars equipped with On-Star. Hope this answers everyones questions about the conversion..and the real cost it is going to be....

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
I think the actual FCC ruling gives the networks until February before they start shutting off stuff, but OnStar is planning to stop billing for non-converted systems and deactivate subscriptions on Jan 1, 2008. (as far as I know)

Yes, you're right - my mistake. My SUBSCRIPTION runs out in October, which is why that month stuck in my head.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Actually the additional $100 is because you are activating the service on a car that has been deactivated.
Current OnStar subscribers do not have to pay the addtional $100.
They just implemented this policy about a month or two ago.
I haven't had to add this charge to any of my customers vehicles.
When the order is placed at the dealer they can print out a page that shows the total fees you will pay.
We charge our customers only after the installation. I have heard of some dealers having the customer pay when the order is made.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts