Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 STS, White Diamond
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I greatly neglected my PS system and when I checked the fluid about five weeks ago it was virtually black with a hint of burned smell.

Over three days I flushed nearly 1 gallon (6 oz at a time) with at least 5-6 full turns of the wheel between drain/fill and often a short drive. The fluid finally drained to look like new.

Since then, I've drained the reservoir and refilled three times in about two weeks noticing that the fluid was a bit darker.

Today I drained the reservoir (it had been about three weeks) and the fluid is dark amber--nothing like at the beginning but hard to describe as power steering fluid...

Should I continue to flush in hopes that the system was just utterly filthy?

Or give up flushing, order a pump and rack and wait for it to fail?

Only problem with the steering system was a very rare, momentary loss of power steering when pulling into a parking space. I have not noticed this since I began flushing, but again it was a very rare occurrence.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,415 Posts
I'd say a failure (probably the rack) is eminent, but you probably have some time if you want to wait.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
The fluid will darken normally. Some of that being crud tailings in the nooks & crannies in the system. Some of these systems have a P/S filter that is mounted on the outside right front sub frame rail. I think it was discontinued on the later models.

The main thing is to have fresh fluid and hope the pump & rack continue to be trouble free.

·
Registered
99 STS, White Diamond
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll continue to flush for a while.

I'm more a cabinetmaker, plumber and electrician than automotive mechanic and sadly lack any tools to raise a vehicle beyond simple ramps. Perhaps attempt a DIY rack replacement even if I suffer the embarrasment of having it moved on a flatbed to the garage. Not so much about money, but I'm truly enjoying learning how to repair modern cars...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts