Cadillac Owners Forum banner

When should I be changing the plugs and fuel filter?

7K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  sleepa007 
#1 ·
Last year I picked up a 2004 Seville SLS Northstar with 104K miles on it. It was a one owner car but I if it has 100k plugs in it I can't imagine somebody changing the plugs to sell the car. There is nothing wrong with the car it runs fine (well a slight rough idle after sitting for a week but that is not why I want to tune it up) I just want to keep it running good and as efficient as possible considering the cost of gas lately. I have 124k on it now, is there anything I should be doing to keep it in top shape?

#2 ·
Read the owner's manual for recommended maintenance intervals and comply.

You answered your own spark plug question: Get a real GM/Helm Service Manual and learn how to do your own plug change. Yesterday. Same for the coolant.

#3 ·
I don't have the owners manual which is why I asked, so I assume by your response that the car does have a 100K plug in it and it prob needs changing. I lifted the engine cover today to look around and it looks like the coils are pretty easy to remove to get to the plugs is there anything I should know before I do it? I mean things a manual won't tell you like tricks of the trade or things to avoid?

#5 ·
i over kill when it comes to changing the fuel filter
i do it every 30k wich is ones a year atleast for me
some say that since i do that in a yer i could probably do it every 60 or 70 the way i drive

i know someone here once mentioned they have over 200k on there seville and have never changed the fuel filter

also
plugs

i have only had to have them changed ones each other time they changed them was because they alreqady had the engine out to rebuild it or do the hg's one for each time and they replaced the plugs just cause they wnated to know for sure it would be good to go

but i usualy change my plugs every 75k even if they say you could go 100k
this is with every car i have owned with platinum plugs

#6 ·
100K is a good time to replace your plugs and wires. Use the correct AC Delco plugs and wires. Don't skimp here and try to save a few bucks with cheaper 3rd party stuff. Your fuel filter is probably still OK but they are relatively cheap. If it makes you feel more secure go ahead and replace it. This is a DIY item which takes less time to do yourself than to take it somewhere and have a mechanic do it. You can probably find an owner's handbook of Ebay. A factory FSM is an excellent purchase and can also be found on Ebay (occasionally).

#8 ·
Is the OP talking about his 04 seville i think
well ill tell you what if he can change the plug wires on that car i will treat every member of the forum to a beer LOL

no plug wires to change after 1999 in the seville 2000 the ns switch to gaset on coil pack or is it coil pack on casset i forget but no wires

#9 ·
If you're changing the plugs, it would be a good time to change the boots, too. When I was considering changing the fuel filter I checked my user manual. Interestingly, the maintenance schedule made no mention of the fuel filter. But it didn't make sense to me that the fuel filter should be expected to be good forever, so I changed it. There is a threaded connection on one side of the filter that could present a rust problem if left too long. I've seen it recommended here to change it every 30k miles, but mine had at least 70k on it and I can't say there was any problem with it, though it did seem to have a little more get-up-and-go after changing...probably just my imagination...

#10 ·
I also have a 2004 with about 136,000 miles on the original plugs. This is probably way overdue and i plan on doing them soon or around 150K.
These plugs dont expire exactly at 100k, depends on conditions i suppose. But, then again im that guy who drinks milk 3 days after expiration date.

Be sure to show pics of the old plugs and ill do the same when i do mine.

#12 ·
That's very interesting, Ranger. At least it explains why no mention of the fuel filter in the user manual. So it sounds like the way to think of the fuel filter is as a backup for the pump filter. I guess I was assuming that all fuel pumps contain a crude filter, and that the main, finer filtering action was the responsibility of the fuel filter. It seems for decades the fuel filter has been widely considered to be a standard "tune-up" component. It's such a shocking revelation that I don't think it will take much doing to turn my thinking around on that.

#14 ·
When I said the fuel pumps have a filter I meant the pump at the gas station. There is also a filter sock on the fuel pump inlet on the in tank pump on your car, so the fuel is filtered twice before it gets to the "fuel filter". Even our old Guru said "it's just along for the ride". Can't hurt to change it. I just don't see much reason unless there is a problem and that is rarely the cause.

#17 ·
When I got my SLS back in April it had 70K on it. Now 73K. When I got it I took it for a used car check they told me that my fuel filter is rusted and probably needs to be changed. I'm going to replacing my plenum next weekend when it comes in and I was wondering if you guys think it may be a good idea to change that filter since they said it's rusted. Guess I'd rather be safe than sorry. Any posts in here on how to exactly change the fuel filter?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.