Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If there is anything I fear, it's doing anything to the transmission of any car.
But I must ask, when it is really time to change the transmission oil?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Feel like changing it? Go right ahead. There is NO downside to changing the fluid.

FLUSHING the transmission is another story, NEVER flush. It stirs up sediment that was sitting there doing nothing, and can introduce contaminants from other vehicles.

The horror stories about failure after a fluid change have nothing to do with the fluid change - The transmission starts to act up, the owner changes the fluid, the transmission inevitably fails, and the owner blames the fluid change.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade
194 Posts
Changing fluid is in no way harmful to a transmission. As we all know, it's recommended at specific mileage intervals. Go by the book, and you'll be good.

So I have searched on here but found no true yes or no answer to this question.

On my 2008, can I drop and remove the pan with the exhaust being where it is? I'm not sure or what the internals look like, so I'm not sure if I can remove bolts, drop pan slightly, slide it forward, and remove. Sliding it forward is the main question.........???

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Feel like changing it? Go right ahead. There is NO downside to changing the fluid.

FLUSHING the transmission is another story, NEVER flush. It stirs up sediment that was sitting there doing nothing, and can introduce contaminants from other vehicles.

The horror stories about failure after a fluid change have nothing to do with the fluid change - The transmission starts to act up, the owner changes the fluid, the transmission inevitably fails, and the owner blames the fluid change.
what do you mean by fluid change & flush???

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Change, as in drain, drop the pan, replace the filter, replace the pan and fill.

Flushing is done by machine, pumping pressurized fluid through the transmission, usually in reverse flow.

·
Registered
2014 S550, 2018 XT5 Platinum, 2019 XT4 Sport :)
1,742 Posts
I plan on doing this soon. I have the Filter and rubber re-usable gasket.
1. Curious, what is the stock gasket made of?
2. I could not find clearly how to remove the pan without something being in the way to drop it to get to the filter. I've read several comments to place a 2x4 with a jack on the transmission housing etc... Pry the exhaust, Remove he exhaust....
Since you did this at least 4 times, how do you do it? I'm sure you have it down to a science. Also, I assume since you do it yearly, you are not concerned with flushing (poor choice of words) the torque converter.
Thanks

·
Registered
2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black
1,800 Posts
The stock gasket is the same. It's reusable as well. However, I did change mine anyway.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Link just loops back to the same info. What is the best procedure to remove the pan?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
The 2nd one is done externally by a machine hooked up to the transmission lines at a shop like Jiffy Lube etc.. They reverse flush the system. Pan is never touched, so filter is never changed.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The 2nd one is done externally by a machine hooked up to the transmission lines at a shop like Jiffy Lube etc.. They reverse flush the system. Pan is never touched, so filter is never changed.
So droping the pan & replacing the filter is better?

Please help. This actually terrifies me.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
In my opinion, both. Ask 10 people, get 11 answers. :food-snacking: If your a DIY person, you can do it on your own following the procedures above, know it is done right and save a lot of money. My only concern is getting the pan down. Can someone clarify how to drop the pan on a 09 or newer...

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I shouldn't flush the machine?

I have no idea what to do now.

(I purchased dexron VI , gasket and filter -All from the GM dealer)

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
As posted, DO NOT FLUSH... EVER.

I'll say it again, it stirs up sediment that would otherwise just be sitting in there harmlessly, and there's a chance of introducing contaminants from the other vehicles that it's been used on.

Drain, remove pan, change filter (where applicable), wipe out pan, replace pan, fill. Absolutely nothing to be worried about.

·
Registered
2007 Escalade ESV
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
As posted, DO NOT FLUSH... EVER.

I'll say it again, it stirs up sediment that would otherwise just be sitting in there harmlessly, and there's a chance of introducing contaminants from the other vehicles that it's been used on.

Drain, remove pan, change filter (where applicable), wipe out pan, replace pan, fill. Absolutely nothing to be worried about.
I Messaged you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts