Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
CT6 plug-in, ELR, Tesla Model X, Ford Fusion Energi
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is Cadillac going to give us Infotainment and safety updates like Tesla? I think we all know the answer to that.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/tesla-just-made-basically-impossible-model-run-range-165958014.html

Granted, this planned update from Tesla gives the Model S some features that most Cadillacs already have, but when was the last time Cadillac added any significant new features to already purchased vehicles (i.e., not just minor bug fixes)?

My ELR is very sad at having been left to rot while all those Teslas continue to get better and better at no cost to the owners...

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 DI Premium (SOLD) / 2013 XTS Luxury (TOTALLED) / 2015 BMW 328i XDrive Lux
1,970 Posts
Don't take this the wrong way but gee, let me think...um, 1/4 past never? I was extremely shocked to see what Cadillac did; over the course of several YEARS, they heavily advertised that CUE would be enhanced and would never be outdated THEN REMOVED all traces of it after receiving requests from customers thinking it was actually true. (If I recall correctly, you brought this to our attention) I've seen some sneaky "stuff" before but this one topped them all!

Overall, I'm satisfied with my car BUT am NOT pleased with how I was duped into thinking CUE would be enhanced....I should've known better, it is GM we're talking about here.

Look at it on the bright side, at least your ELR looks 1000000+ times better than the Tesla IMO;) Tesla is nice but the ELR is more like a work of art to me! (some of the exterior features remind me of my old 2nd gen CTS)

·
Registered
2017 XTS, 2019 XT5
333 Posts
The ELR is vastly inferior to the Telsa S. The Telsa will go over 200 miles between charges. How far will the ELR go? My brother has the S. I've ridden in it and driven it. It is a technical marvel. They update the software frequently and now the car almost drives itself. You set the speed and distance to maintain to the car ahead and it will start and stop and start again accordingly. It can't see red lights so you still have to stop it for those but if you are on the freeway there is no reason to step on the brake or accelerator. There is a vertical screen that can show a wide variety of things.

It is an amazing car.

·
Registered
2017 XTS, 2019 XT5
333 Posts
Tempting, but too much money for me to spend on a car. Also, the CUE system allows you to store a wider variety of functions. I like being able to store play lists, artists, people's phone numbers and destinations on the favorites buttons. The Tesla doesn't allow for all that.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The ELR is vastly inferior to the Telsa S. The Telsa will go over 200 miles between charges. How far will the ELR go? My brother has the S. I've ridden in it and driven it. It is a technical marvel. They update the software frequently and now the car almost drives itself. You set the speed and distance to maintain to the car ahead and it will start and stop and start again accordingly. It can't see red lights so you still have to stop it for those but if you are on the freeway there is no reason to step on the brake or accelerator. There is a vertical screen that can show a wide variety of things.
"Vastly inferior" is an overstatement. The ELR has many advantages over the Model S at its price point (and especially at its current 40%-off price). Acceleration and interior space are definitely inferior to the Model S, however the ELR has no range anxiety. The ELR trounces the Model S on appearance and style and included features. The Tesla will indeed go to over 200 miles between charges, but the ELR will go as far as you need it between charges since it also has a range extender gas engine. There's no range anxiety with the ELR, even if Cadillac has given up on software updates and shot itself in the foot with its anemic acceleration. Unlike the Model S, the ELR has had Adapative Cruise Control, Blind Spot Warning, Front Collision Warning/Avoidance, etc. from the start; Tesla is playing catch-up with its AutoPilot which still isn't fully enabled, and won't ever be available on Teslas built before October 2014. The Model S is revolutionary technology, but only certain aspects of the car are better than the ELR. It's really not an apples to apples comparison.

·
Registered
2017 XTS, 2019 XT5
333 Posts
My brother's Tesla model S does have adaptive cruise control, blind spot warning front collision avoidance and warning and Tesla has announced that the car will be able to drive itself with the next major release of the software in about 3 months. As far as appearance, that's in the eye of the beholder. I"ve never owned a 2 door car and prefer a sedan style car. Yes, the ELR is much more sporting looking but lacks in most other areas. I think the main point here is that Tesla adds significant new functionality via software upgrades where as GM and Cadillac don't. This is especially aggravating to me as an XTS owner since I was told CUE would receive future upgrades to improve functionality. For example, and it's a small example, I use an SD card to store about 2500 songs which I use most often to listen to music in the car. The system shows artwork that is part of the music file if it's in MP3 format but not if it's in Apple's M4A format. Even this minor problem has not been fixed. Many bigger more inconvenient issues have also not been fixed.

These are expensive cars and they are frusterating the tech savey owners that they have.

·
Registered
2019 Mercedes E450 Cabriolet, previous 2013 ATS 2.0T AWD, 1973 Corvette 454
2,363 Posts
Tesla versus ELR? Brahahahahha! No contest! Even GM admits Cadillac ELR is no real competition for Tesla Model S. Plug in hybrids like the ELR was a huge gamble and mistake made by GM and they know it. ELR sales are paltry compared to Tesla and customer satisfaction. ELR's battery range of only 35 miles doesn't cut it.The ELR is an overpriced Volt with less doors and less practicality. Should have been in the 40 to 50 thousand dollar range......$75,000 is strictly for suckers.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Tesla versus ELR? Brahahahahha! No contest! Even GM admits Cadillac ELR is no real competition for Tesla Model S. Plug in hybrids like the ELR was a huge gamble and mistake made by GM and they know it. ELR sales are paltry compared to Tesla and customer satisfaction. ELR's battery range of only 35 miles doesn't cut it.The ELR is an overpriced Volt with less doors and less practicality. Should have been in the 40 to 50 thousand dollar range......$75,000 is strictly for suckers.
Still trolling I see, rustybear3. At least get your facts and grammar correct: The ELR gets 37-40 miles per charge, has two fewer doors, and can drive an additional ~300 miles on each tank of gas. Therefore, it can go farther on a single charge and full tank of gas than any Tesla with a full charge.

Customer satisfaction for the ELR is very high for those who bought it, even though there are owner critics such as myself (all complaints mostly due to the poor implementation of the inferior C.U.E. system and Cadillac's failure to price the car correctly from the start, resulting in the recent 40%-off fire sale of remaining units).

The ELR is gorgeous with pure luxury and no range anxiety, while the Tesla looks like a Ford with Corvette acceleration and limited range. Any Model S built since October 2014 will eventually have a superior auto-driving system than the ELR, but at the moment it's still not there. And anyone with an older Model S won't ever get AutoPilot features.

If you had anything beyond a remedial understanding of the ELR, you'd know it is much more than a pretty Volt (although the 2016 Volt will have some advantages when it finally hits the market two years after the original ELR.)

My brother's Tesla model S does have adaptive cruise control, blind spot warning, front collision avoidance and warning
No it doesn't, unless he's part of the beta testing program. Most Model S owners won't see these features until firmware 6.2 is released next week.

I think the main point here is that Tesla adds significant new functionality via software upgrades where as GM and Cadillac don't. This is especially aggravating to me as an XTS owner since I was told CUE would receive future upgrades to improve functionality. For example, and it's a small example, I use an SD card to store about 2500 songs which I use most often to listen to music in the car. The system shows artwork that is part of the music file if it's in MP3 format but not if it's in Apple's M4A format. Even this minor problem has not been fixed. Many bigger more inconvenient issues have also not been fixed.

These are expensive cars and they are frustrating the tech savvy owners that they have.
I completely agree.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Still trolling I see, rustybear3. At least get your facts and grammar correct: The ELR gets 37-40 miles per charge, has two fewer doors, and can drive an additional ~300 miles on each tank of gas. Therefore, it can go farther on a single charge and full tank of gas than any Tesla with a full charge.

Customer satisfaction for the ELR is very high for those who bought it, even though there are owner critics such as myself (all complaints mostly due to the poor implementation of the inferior C.U.E. system and Cadillac's failure to price the car correctly from the start, resulting in the recent 40%-off fire sale of remaining units).

The ELR is gorgeous with pure luxury and no range anxiety, while the Tesla looks like a Ford with Corvette acceleration and limited range. Any Model S built since October 2014 will eventually have a superior auto-driving system than the ELR, but at the moment it's still not there. And anyone with an older Model S won't ever get AutoPilot features.

If you had anything beyond a remedial understanding of the ELR, you'd know it is much more than a pretty Volt (although the 2016 Volt will have some advantages when it finally hits the market two years after the original ELR.)
Trolling? You and a couple others have completely destroyed this CUE forum with your hatred for CUE and others who dare disagree with you. You push buttons every chance you get in your postings; and always counter attack with insults. Let's get some facts straight: 40% of Cadillac dealers have opted out of selling the ELR because of it's poor sales potential.
Then GM overstocked their supplies in that they had to cut and give ridiculous incentives just to get them off the lots. You know GM is losing money on this car. The Cadillac ELR boasts an electric-only range of 35 miles and has poor interior visibility. Customer satisfaction is not great. Most owners would never buy another ELR. Resale value is poor for those that have them. Tesla owners rave about their vehicles, and Tesla sales bear this out. Liking one's car styling over another is purely subjective. "My ELR is very sad at having been left to rot while all those Teslas continue to get better and better at no cost to the owners..." Your words.....doesn't sound like a satisfied customer to me.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Still mistaking your opinions for facts, unfortunately. As such, there's little point in debating you since you're living in a different world than the rest of us, but I'll give it a shot.

Trolling? You and a couple others have completely destroyed this CUE forum with your hatred for CUE and others who dare disagree with you.
C.U.E. destroyed itself. You're the only one here who considers C.U.E. the pinnacle of perfection. A large majority of posts in this section (many of which pre-date me joining) are decidedly negative. Sorry if the truth hurts.

Let's get some facts straight: 40% of Cadillac dealers have opted out of selling the ELR because of it's poor sales potential.
Because those dealerships didn't want to invest in the expensive infrastructure required to service the ELR, not because any of them thought the car would fail. But nice try.

Then GM overstocked their supplies in that they had to cut and give ridiculous incentives just to get them off the lots. You know GM is losing money on this car.
GM didn't overstock... it overpriced and undersold the ELR. Probably the same idiot executives who think C.U.E. is G-d's greatest gift to man thought the ELR was also a vehicle epiphany. What's funny is that the ELR and C.U.E. demonstrate the same GM mentality of wishful thinking, and their refusal to do anything about two failed products.

The Cadillac ELR boasts an electric-only range of 35 miles
From Cadillac's website: "EPA-estimated 37-mile all-electric range based on 82 MPGe (electric); 31 MPG city/35 highway (gas)." But I guess you're one of those people who believe saying the same opinion over and over will result in everyone believing it's a fact. Nice try. (Most of us ELR owners actually experience 34-48 miles per charge in the real world, depending on conditions.)

and has poor interior visibility.
It has better visibility than many other coupes. But I know that other vehicles don't exist in your world, so you wouldn't have the experience to compare.

Customer satisfaction is not great. Most owners would never buy another ELR.
More mindless opinions stated as fact. Nothing I can do about that.

Resale value is poor for those that have them.
Again, more unsubstantiated blather. I guess you've researched all the ELRs that have been sold second-hand since the car was released 15 months ago? Must be a lot of resales in your mind!

Tesla owners rave about their vehicles, and Tesla sales bear this out. Liking one's car styling over another is purely subjective. "My ELR is very sad at having been left to rot while all those Teslas continue to get better and better at no cost to the owners..." Your words.....doesn't sound like a satisfied customer to me.
That is true. Too bad Cadillac doesn't know how to hype its cars like Tesla. The closest it ever came was with the Escalade, which is still Cadillac's most in-demand vehicle.

If Cadillac ever wants to be taken seriously as a high-end luxury car manufacturer, it needs to get a reputation for supporting the vehicles it does release, even when sales are low. If Cadillac won't support the most expensive vehicle in its fleet (based on base MSRP), that tells us everything we need to know about how Cadillac will continue to treat its customers.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Prattle all you want, the bottom line is the car is a failure. So bad, there wasn't a 2015 model (still trying to palm off 2014's) and according to Insider Car News, Autoguide, etc., it looks as though the 2016 could be delayed indefinitely. You are correct in stating that Cadillac support for it's most expensive vehicle in its fleet has been abysmal. Quite frankly, it's a shame. Cadillac had an opportunity to make a dent in the electric market. Unfortunately, it's still a swing and a miss.

As for CUE, I never said it was perfect. All infotainment systems can always use improvement. But you have consistently trashed the system as being absolutely worthless with little or no redeeming value. Compared to other car maker systems, CUE can certainly hold its own; and many on this forum like the system.....along with those that don't. Constructive criticism is fine.....continued whining on how bad it is accomplishes nothing. I for one have criticized GM for reneging on their promises to keep CUE "up to date" in terms of software, apps, and updates. This has been a major failure IMO with GM support. Throw the baby out with the bathwater? I think not. I still like the system, and for the most part CUE serves my needs.

·
Registered
2019 CTS 3.6 Premium Luxury AWD V-Sport Trim
244 Posts
"If Cadillac ever wants to be taken seriously as a high-end luxury car manufacturer, it needs to get a reputation for supporting the vehicles it does release, even when sales are low. If Cadillac won't support the most expensive vehicle in its fleet (based on base MSRP), that tells us everything we need to know about how Cadillac will continue to treat its customers."

I'm not jumping into this fray, but I think we can all agree with the statement above. Cadillac has to treat its customers much better that anyone else to make a difference.

·
Registered
2017 XTS, 2019 XT5
333 Posts

Telsa wins on range hands down. It's rare to drive anywhere close to 200 miles a day. It's not rare to drive over 40 miles per day. Tesla wins this since people don't buy an electric car so they can use the gas engine to run it.

I'm not going to debate which car looks better, it's purely personal opinion.

No it doesn't, unless he's part of the beta testing program. Most Model S owners won't see these features until firmware 6.2 is released next week.

He got his car in January and a software update in late January provided the function to adaptive cruise control and the other functions I listed earlier. He is not part of any beta testing program.
Please see my response above.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...the bottom line is the car is a failure. So bad, there wasn't a 2015 model (still trying to palm off 2014s) and according to Insider Car News, Autoguide, etc., it looks as though the 2016 could be delayed indefinitely. You are correct in stating that Cadillac support for it's most expensive vehicle in its fleet has been abysmal. Quite frankly, it's a shame. Cadillac had an opportunity to make a dent in the electric market. Unfortunately, it's still a swing and a miss.

As for CUE, I never said it was perfect. All infotainment systems can always use improvement...Compared to other car maker systems, CUE can certainly hold its own; and many on this forum like the system.....along with those that don't...I for one have criticized GM for reneging on their promises to keep CUE "up to date" in terms of software, apps, and updates. This has been a major failure IMO with GM support. Throw the baby out with the bathwater? I think not. I still like the system, and for the most part CUE serves my needs.
I agree with everything above.

·
Registered
SRX
697 Posts
I think the system we have now called CUE is already dead. GM realized that their effort was already outdated when the offered it in 2013. We are looking at the new version of the 8 track tape player in the 60's. I'm waiting for the hackers to offer me something worth the effort to swap units for an upgrade. Voice text messages is not enough. What's funny is when I had the Windows phone the system worked great and I could have texts read back or I could reply verbally with no issues. That means that it is already in the unit but only set up for the Microsoft unit.

with the Windows phone so I know its in there.

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac SRX Performance AWD
70 Posts
During my last service visit I was driving my car with the tech to resolve steering vibration issue. During our drive I asked him about the CUE updates, he said pretty much we are stuck with no major feature upgrades, he can only program firmware upgrades that fixes minor bugs but no major features can be added, each firmware upgrade is also VIN specific if it requires files from TIS2WEB, so unless GM unlocks the features that can be put on older modules we will be stuck forever. He mentioned the CUE is not just a one piece system like Ford sync, it has several modules put all together, so from a design perspective it makes major feature upgrades difficult as different versions of modules can be all lumped together which can result incompatibility issues if an older module cannot handle newer software, it may require hardware upgrade. The different modules is the reason why it is not a simple USB upgrade that can be done by end users, some modules require TIS2WEB files which is why Cadillac asks customers to go into dealers for upgrades since they have the hardware to load the files.

If what he mentioned is true about all modules lumped together, then I think it is a failure at the designing stage, it should have been simplified.

·
Registered
2014 SRX AWD LUX terra mocha/shale brownstone
163 Posts
What is your steering vibration issue and what has been done to resolve it? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts