Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
..... I had to walk 20 miles barefoot in snow to school and it was steeply uphill both ways.

Well my memory may be a little fuzzy on that but I do know I paid a lot more for basic necessities like big screen TVs and PCs.

Was going thru old files and came across receipts for the the first big screen I ever bought (34 years ago) and last PC I ever bought (31 years ago, built them all after that).

50" Mitsubishi analog:

Last PC, but not the most expensive. I bought the first PC-AT (with EGA display) sold to the public in AZ 10 years earlier in '84 (I believe) for $4500 plus tax.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
........... and in 1965 a Chevelle SS 327/350, 4-speed, posi, "transistor ignition", P/S delete, A/C delete, optional tires/wheels, tinted glass, radio, performance suspension, camel interior, Emerald Green metallic, HD brakes, viscous fan clutch, other stuff - was $2288 out the door, special ordered by me. Chevy Chase Chevrolet, Bethesda, Maryland.

In the early 50s Major Armstrong's "FM broadcasting system" went on-air. Middle 50s saw 33 1/3 vinyl go to "stereo".

In '64 a HewlettPackard handheld calculator with digital feedback buttons was over $300 !!! $4.98 now. ("Digital feedback" - your fingers felt the button click, signaling an entry)

Back then we manually programmed navigation computers using binary math code - one BIT at a time, set with a long row of on/off switches.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
I remember raising funds for our town soccer team. I forget what we sold, but if you sold enough you got a sweet lettermans type jacket, which I got.

The next year I decided to get the other option, a pocket calculator. They were worth the same in '83...

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,803 Posts
Back when I was a teen, in the 90's, cell phone plans were by the minute, average $.50 per minute. Plus the subscription to have an account. There was no internet or, omg, TEXTING?!?!? There was no texting?!?!? But there was a hashtag. #crazy

One was lucky to have a tape deck in the car, forget about a CD player. Nowadays, neither are in there again. Yet the radio, I mean "audio system" is more expensive now than then.

Internet access was way more expensive per Mb per second speed than it is now. And capped off at a time, rather than data usage.

KOT

·
Registered
86 Bronco, 74 Ford LTD,1999 Deville, 1977 Coupe Deville
305 Posts
Two years ago I could buy a brick of .22 ammo for $15.00 ! Heh...Heh

·
Super Moderator
6,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Two years ago I could buy a brick of .22 ammo for $15.00 ! Heh...Heh
Last ones I bought were $5. Still have one or two.

----------

Back when I was a teen, in the 90's.... One was lucky to have a tape deck in the car, forget about a CD player. Nowadays, neither are in there again.
Whadayamean? My '78 Trans Am has an in-dash Pioneer AM/FM/8-track/CB I put in when new. Or is there another kind of tape than 8-track? And yes I do have an 8-track recorder.

In the Cadillac all I listen too is music on an SD card in the console or blue-tooth from the phone. No tapes, no CDs and can't recall listening to radio, even the free satellite trial that came with the car.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
I remember when I was paying dear money on car audio, my Clarion had navigation capabilities. You plugged in an address, it gave you turn by turn directions. You just had to hit the forward button once you made a turn. There was no GPS...

·
Super Moderator
6,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I remember when I was paying dear money on car audio, my Clarion had navigation capabilities. You plugged in an address, it gave you turn by turn directions. You just had to hit the forward button once you made a turn. There was no GPS...
That's interesting. Never knew there was something like that. Did anyone ever end up in San Diego instead of Bangor because they forgot to confirm some turn?

I wonder if there was something between that and GPS? I have a G-Analyst (what Mike Valentine built and sold during his gardening leave from the Radar Detector game). I could plot a track based on calculations using time and g-force recordings, so the same accelerometer components in a pre-GPS nav could have eliminated the need to manually confirm a turn.

·
Administrator
68,441 Posts
Or is there another kind of tape than 8-track?
My late model run 2002 STS has a 6-CD changer in the console, a single CD and Cassette tape in the head unit.

Attachments

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
That's interesting. Never knew there was something like that. Did anyone ever end up in San Diego instead of Bangor because they forgot to confirm some turn?

I wonder if there was something between that and GPS? I have a G-Analyst (what Mike Valentine built and sold during his gardening leave from the Radar Detector game). I could plot a track based on calculations using time and g-force recordings, so the same accelerometer components in a pre-GPS nav could have eliminated the need to manually confirm a turn.
I'm trying to find some old documents or videos on what I had. But check what came out a couple years later...

http://news.cnet.com/Clarion-to-build-AutoPC-using-MS-software/2100-1001_3-206922.html

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,454 Posts
Back when I was a teen, in the 90's, cell phone plans were by the minute, average $.50 per minute. Plus the subscription to have an account. There was no internet or, omg, TEXTING?!?!? There was no texting?!?!? But there was a hashtag. #crazy

One was lucky to have a tape deck in the car, forget about a CD player. Nowadays, neither are in there again. Yet the radio, I mean "audio system" is more expensive now than then.

Internet access was way more expensive per Mb per second speed than it is now. And capped off at a time, rather than data usage.

KOT
There was texting back in the 90s, but only if you had a beeper.
Code Meaning
6 Always
7 Forever
11 Maybe
14 Hi
18 Yes
22 Be good
15 Whatever
23 Te Amo
24 I'm Home
25 Sorry
26 Te Quiero
27 Need You
29 You suck
32 Eat Me
42 ***- ME
41 Call me
43 **** You
45 Good Night
47 Good Morning
52 Hurry Up
53 Thank You
56 Sweet Dreams
58 Happy B-Day
66 I'm Mad
70 I'm Sad
82 Freak Me
90 Beautiful
93 Grow Up
07 Just Kidding
020 Plans Changed
010 I'm tired
17 No
011 Monday
022 Tuesday
033 Wednesday
044 Thursday
055 Friday
066 Saturday
077 Sunday
000 Time
108 Come Over
0121 I'm confused
122 I Want You
123 I Miss You
315 But
124 I'm dreaming of you
143 I Love You
180 Yesterday
183 I'm Busy
200 Tonight
193 Miss Me?
195 See you tonight
197 I'm pissed off
222 Busted
224 2 Good 4 U
243 We Love You
280 My Sexy Baby
288 Today
135 You wish
303 Stop playing
187 You're dead
304 Hoe
323 Let Me Hit
324 C-U-Soon
333 What's Up?
335 You're Crazy
341 I Like You
343 Call Back Now
346 Call Back Please
411 Information
423 Call Me Now
425 Call Me Later
436 Hugs & Kisses
444 I Want Love
522 Think of Me
6771 Good Friend
606 B****
823 Thinking of U
883 Beep Me
911 Emergency
937 Never
943 Where R U?
1250 Me Too
1925 Let's Go Out
1443 I Don't Love U
15243 Be With Me
12-25 Merry Xmas
1543 I Still Love U
119 I'm in Trouble
3838 Bebe
3704556 hineyhole
321 Please Reply
5900 Feel Sick
50538 Besos
55378008 Boobless
6-9999999 Get in line
555 I want your ***
1001 Prove it
428 Call me whenever
7735 Sell out
099 Too late to call
1023 It's over
001 Please
074 I need a favor
637 Always and forever
09-09 Let's talk
064 Don't call me
00 Airhead
07734 Hello
3838-07734 Hello Baby
17-31707-1 I love you
4040 I hate you
345987 I'm horny
69 Both ways
19 Hug
434 Feel Better
46 Hug
1423 I want to die

·
Super Moderator
6,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm trying to find some old documents or videos on what I had. But check what came out a couple years later...
Good luck finding things from pre-web. I was surprised I couldn't find a single picture of that big screen I posted the receipt for. There were 3 models. The only differences were the cabinetry. Mine had giant wooden doors that covered the screen when not in use. But anyway, like I said, no pictures anywhere.

C

·
0 Posts
Not my pictures, but like this? My boyfriend's father still has one like that it burns my eyes and gives me headaches. :bonkers:
We bought him a new flat screen and he put it in another room and still watches the old t.v.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
When I was a kid there was no TV in Fairbanks and only one AM station. People didn't drive their cars in the winter time and all of life's neccessities were delivered after being ordered by phone from the Jot-Em-Down store. The phones had no dial. To make a call you picked up the phone and listened until "Central" came on the line and asked for the number of who you wanted to talk to. The earliest phone number I can recall for the home phone was East 82. We had a four party line and much time was spent listening in on others conversations.

·
Registered
1980 Eldorado, 1974 Talisman, 2004 Volvo C70, 1975 Fleetwood 'd Elegance
7,958 Posts
In the late 60's early 70's we had about the same thing in the rural community we lived in.

The one radio station tried to play something for everyone so you would have George and Tammy, followed by The Doors or The Rolling Stones. I think it is one reason my own tastes in music now is so eclectic. At night we could sometimes get WLS out of Chicago.

We had a Party line and one of them was for a bar down the road.
They would leave the phone sitting on the bar if they had a call for a customer, if they weren't there, or didn't take the call, the phone could sit there on the back bar forever. After several attempts to call out, only to hear a Jukebox and pool balls clicking together, dad would have to hop in the car , drive down there and have them hang up their phone !:lol:

·
Super Moderator
6,631 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Wow! Yeah, that's it! Thanks. Does he get tired of holding the remote over his head to work the VCR with it behind the mirror unit? LoL

Of course he's gonna watch that instead of a new flat screen. That projector TV cost $11,000 new in today's money! Gotta keep the "Jones" in their place.

Not my pictures, but like this? My boyfriend's father still has one like that it burns my eyes and gives me headaches. :bonkers:
We bought him a new flat screen and he put it in another room and still watches the old t.v.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
In the late 60's early 70's we had about the same thing in the rural community we lived in.

The one radio station tried to play something for everyone so you would have George and Tammy, followed by The Doors or The Rolling Stones. I think it is one reason my own tastes in music now is so eclectic. At night we could sometimes get WLS out of Chicago.

We had a Party line and one of them was for a bar down the road.
They would leave the phone sitting on the bar if they had a call for a customer, if they weren't there, or didn't take the call, the phone could sit there on the back bar forever. After several attempts to call out, only to hear a Jukebox and pool balls clicking together, dad would have to hop in the car , drive down there and have them hang up their phone !:lol:
When somebody forgot to hang up or hogged the line we had a police whistle we blew into the phone.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
basic necessities like big screen TVs
:histeric: Sorry Hoosier, but that made me laugh. I can't help but wonder what either of out parents would have considered "basic necessities". I guess times (and priorities) have changed.

Just an interesting observation. :duck:

·
Administrator
68,441 Posts
I've posted this before .............. Mom or her mother, Bud, would drive the Dodge Brothers Six into the local AMOCO station and ask "May I have a dollar's worth, please ?" That was gas for a week - of course, NO ONE in the city "commuted" in 1946.

Basic necessities ? Rationing stamps, red pennies, and an occasional steak from a cow that "died of unknown disease". The German Army prisoners that worked the farm for Dad (after he was flown home from the Pacific) were fed milk, eggs, vegetables and lard smeared on stale bread. Maybe a chicken every other week.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Good luck finding things from pre-web. I was surprised I couldn't find a single picture of that big screen I posted the receipt for. There were 3 models. The only differences were the cabinetry. Mine had giant wooden doors that covered the screen when not in use. But anyway, like I said, no pictures anywhere.
You'd be surprised how much has been downloaded on teh intrawebz...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts