Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 92 deville, an the wood looks so fake its silly. I know they use real stuff now, but when did they start? The 93-96 fleetwood's had fake wood I think, but at least it looked real. Just wondering when the real stuff starting getting used?

·
Registered
5,929 Posts
1974 Fleetwood Talisman
1975 Fleetwood Talisman
1976 Fleetwood Talisman

Real Wood Put to rest.

Reappears:-

1987 Fleetwood Sixty Special
remains so on all future Fleetwoods & Sixty Specials
to
1992 when Seville Elegante joins in, with Behr of Germany real wood.
After the 1993 Sixty Special, real wood took another leave until the
2000 deVille.

I consulted with the termites for this Info.

·
Registered
16,105 Posts
According to my 1991 brochure, it was a new feature over the 1990 Cadillacs. I've seen a lot of newer Caddies and the wood looks dull and scratched. People clean their dash or ? and get other chemicals on it and I think that tends to ruin the natural look to the wood. The wood is not even as nice in my dad's new DTS than it is in mine. If you want a pic of my dash send me an email at [email protected]

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Ralph said:
According to my 1991 brochure, it was a new feature over the 1990 Cadillacs.
The 1987-1989 Fleetwoods, Eldorado Biarritz and SeVilles had it. On the Fleetwoods it looked different then the wood on the 1992s so maybe it was the finish that changed on them for 1991 or something?

·
Registered
23 Posts
My '90 Fleetwood has real wood. Just got the car and was quite
suprised, but it's real, sure 'nuff.

-Dirk R

RAMAIR57 said:
I have a 92 deville, an the wood looks so fake its silly. I know they use real stuff now, but when did they start? The 93-96 fleetwood's had fake wood I think, but at least it looked real. Just wondering when the real stuff starting getting used?

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
RAMAIR57 said:
The 93-96 fleetwood's had fake wood I think, but at least it looked real.
It does? It looks like fake cheap plastic to me.

Are we comparing it to the peel off kitchen cabinet shelving paper they used to use? Because only then would I call the wood in a Fleetwood be an improvement.

·
Registered
11,009 Posts
on the same note, the '89-'92 Fleetwood and '93 60 special were the same as my DeVille, but had real wood instead of my plastic fake wood.... when i heard that, I was saying to myself, wow, I am definitly going to be getting all the trim pieces from ebay or a junkyard or soething....but the real wood is wayyyy too light IMO, while the fake wood is alot darker and richer looking...... I like wood, but I like darker wood, I hate light color (or orange looking) wood....

...although maybe some day if I got them, I could sand them, then use my walnut stain and polyurthane them.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Night Wolf said:
on the same note, the '89-'92 Fleetwood and '93 60 special were the same as my DeVille, but had real wood instead of my plastic fake wood.... when i heard that, I was saying to myself, wow, I am definitly going to be getting all the trim pieces from ebay or a junkyard or soething....but the real wood is wayyyy too light IMO, while the fake wood is alot darker and richer looking...... I like wood, but I like darker wood, I hate light color (or orange looking) wood....

...although maybe some day if I got them, I could sand them, then use my walnut stain and polyurthane them.....
as far as the real wood fake wood thing goes they all should have real wood it's a cadillac.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I hope to put the "real" wood from a 1990 Fleetwood in my Sedan DeVille sometime in the next couple of days. If anyone's interested I can post some comments.

Looks like it should be super easy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
18 Participants
capn