Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i purchased the car about 2 months ago, '83 eldorado, there were no noises from the wheels. but about 1 month ago the wheels started making noises, like a clicking noise. as i went faster, the sound would grow more rapid as well. the more that i drive the car, and use the brakes, the more the noise happens, it is the worst now then it has every been. im guessing that it is the brake pads rubbing againts the rotors. i havent been able to get the hub caps off to look at the brakes or rotors, but as far as i kno they need work. and another thing about the brakes, i can push the brake pedal in a conciderable amount more than i can any other car that i have on my lot. so far that i must lift my foot off the floor and puch in order to stop completly, and im guessing thats because i eed to bleed the lines. sorry to make this so long, and any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
in regards to your first issue.... This sounds more like a CV joint to me, but you may be on the right track with the brakes.... So basically what your saying is the clicking is symmetric to the speed of the vehicle.... Does it intensify when you do anything??? If the brake pads were rubbing up against the rotors, you would have a TON of dust coming from the pads......

For the second concern, i bet thats the brake booster.... You could be lucky and its just a vacuum hose, but it is probably the booster itself....

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Wouldn't be the booster, but it could be the brakes REALLY need to be bled.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if it is the CV joint, how would i go about making sure that is the reason for the noise? when i press on the brakes, the noise doesnt stop, but if it were the brakes rubbing on the rotors, wouldnt the clicking stop once the pads touch the rotors? i checked the vacuum hose for the booster, and it looks good, no leaks as far as i can see, so im going to bleed the brakes this weekend. thanks for all your help

·
Registered
44 Posts
Clicking is not good. The first thing I'd do is get those caps off and make sure the lug nuts are still tight. To me, driving with bad brakes is something akin to playing Russian Roulette. You really need to solve that one soon. As far as the CV joints, you should not be able to move the driveshafts up and down. If they move much, joints are bad. If it is the joints, you should notice some difference in the noise between turning and going straight.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, this is really starting to bug me now. first off, what are CV joints? i lifted the front end of my car off the ground, and turned it on and put it in drive, and just let it idle to see if it would make the noise, and to my supprise, there was no noise. if it were the berings, wouldnt the noise continue even if the car was off the ground? as far as i kno the lugs are still tight; i cannot wiggle the tire when it is off the ground. as i tried to move the drive shafts, they would only move in and out, like if u were to pull it oit of the input, not back and forth. and i noticed today that the rear tired are now making a deeper clicking noise. as for the front wheels, it isnt a random clicking, it has a pattern. it clicks once, then pauses, then clicks twice. thanks for your input :worship:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Well the rear tres have no CV joints, so that can't be it. The CV joints are like universal joints, only in FWD cars. There built differernt but basically do the same thing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
great explination, but any idea on what could be causing the noise? i bled the brakes today, but the pedal still goes much farther than any other car i've driven. when i "slam" on the brakes, i push hard enough to make me rise in my deat, but the car still take a while to slow down. even if it has ABS i should come to an almost screeching stop. when i am in loose dirt, it still doesnt stop hard enough to make me break traction in the dirt. but for regular stopping at lights and signs, it works fine. im just scared that when i need to hit the brakes, i wont stop soon enough. could it be that i just really badly need new brake pads?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
It could REALLY need new brake pads. If there to the point that they make noises, they need replacement ASAP. Was the brake pedal travel normal when you first got the car?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when i first drove the car, the brakes were as they are now, but there was no noise comming from the wheels. the car had 110,000 mils on it when i bought it, and now has 110,600 miles.(shcool and back driving mostly). i checked all of the hoses in the engine bay, and all have good seals on whatever they are attached to, so i dont think it is a leak in the vacuum hose(s). i meantioned that i could move the drive shafts maybe about 1/4 inch in each direction. i have no idea when the previous owner last changed the pads. i am assuming these calipers have a self tighting system on them, so if the pads are that warn down, could it be that it is tighting too much? i already kno that i need to get the rotors turned, when i come to a slow stop i can feel that the rotors are warped. thanks for all of your help.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Definitely need to look into getting them turned/replaced. Look at the hose going into the caliper while someone else pushes on the brakes. Watch for the hose to swell up like a balloon. If that is the case, the previous owner contaminated the braking system with ATF or something else. That would cause a very soft pedal, and eventually those hoses will blow. The bad part? ALL of the rubber in the braking system will need to be replaced, and a complete system flush MUST be performed if this is the case. Also, make SURE nothing is leaking, even though that should turn on the brake light on the dash.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i will try what u had recomended tomarrow. i have looked under the car, and nothin seems to be leaking. thank you for all of your help, but i am still stumped on the clicking noise from my wheels. another bad thing happened today, my "service soon" light turned on.....any suggestions? i read that these cars have break pad sensors, could it be that i just need to replace my pads? thanks again....:worship:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
4 Participants
supacaddy83