Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Wheels for Winter Tires

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  duneless 
#1 ·
#6 ·
Just thought I would add to this thread instead of starting my own "Wheels for Winter Tires" thread and I'm learning as I go so here's my story.

I'm new to the CTS Vsport (had it now for a few months) and I love the car, I plan on using it as my daily driver here in Michigan so I'm expecting I'll need some snow tires. Previously I owned a 09 Pontiac G8 GT which I sold this Spring (great car sad to see it go) and I had snow wheels/tires for it that were in good shape (Michelin X-Ice 225/55r17).

My original plan was to keep and use those snow tires for the Cadillac, unfortunately I learned that the Brembo brakes in the front (2018) will not allow a 17" wheel there and I was going to need to do some shopping. I found some used aftermarket tires that came off a Camero, 18" (Michelin X-Ice 245/50r18) on Anzio wheels + TMPS at a good price, two of the tires are worn more as they were not rotated properly but still in great shape, also they will look great in black on my white Cadillac.

The only problem is the tires rub on the wheel well in the front on turns due to the /50 being too tall, the tires fit snugly in the back (2 fingers clearance). So now my plan is to replace the two worn tires with /45 or /40? same brand and keep the /50's on the back and hope the cars electronic brain doesn't get mad about the size difference.

What does the forum think of my plan?
When I replace the stock run flats on the summer rims (18" staggered setup), what do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

#9 ·
What did you end up doing?

I don’t think I run different size tires. That’s just me. Tires are the most important thing on the car and I wouldn’t play around. That rubbing would scare me off. X Ice are solid tires and always get good reviews. If you want a true winter tire I’d get a set of 4 in 245/45/18.

As for summer, I’ll be checking out new summer shoes in the spring. The original Pirelli run-flats are headed out to pasture. I’ll check out Michelin PS4s, the new Conti summers and whatever else comes up favorably on Tire Rack’s road tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.