Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1997 Deville
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1996 Seville STS uses a 5x115 bolt pattern. The rims I have discovered use a 5x114 bolt pattern. Is this a problem? Excuse my ignorance on the bolt pattern subject. As for offset, I can get 35 or 38. I think I have 35 right now. My first set of aftermarket wheels has worked out well; however, one of them is bent and one is scratched due to my bad parking downtown during lunch hour. Your input is appreciated.
Will 20/8.5 off set 35mm will they fit a 97 Cadillac Deville

· Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
79,505 Posts
Maybe - and you need to keep the original tire outside diameter to not screw up speedo and transmission calibrations.

Original tire sizes on the driver's door sticker and specs in www.tirerack.com. Original offset was +50mm.

Welcome to CF !!! - you should have asked this question in FWD Deville. Which model do you own - base, Concours, d'Elegance? It makes BIG differences in some parts, service, and maintenance advice.

We'll move this question to your own thread in FWD Deville forum.

· Administrator
79,505 Posts
You are misinformed - outside tire diameter can vary radically with section changes.

Look at the tire specs for a bunch of different 17" and 20" tires - not wheels - in www.tirerack.com.

My original 235/55/17 OD is 27.2" and I can depart from that by over 1.5" by swapping tire type/size.

............ and, to compound the tire size problem, given an original 27" tire OD with 16" wheels, he has 5.5" of air and rubber between the wheel and pavement. Keeping the same tire OD with 20" wheels reduces the air/rubber space to 3.5" - leading to rough ride and more road noise.

The powertrain and speedo (VSS circuit) are electronically calibrated for the original tire OD. Larger OD tires roll less revs per mile = slower speedo and some powertrain calibration mismatch. Smaller OD tires roll more revs per mile = faster speedo and some cal changes.

· Premium Member
2000 DHS
1,928 Posts
You are misinformed - outside tire diameter can vary radically with section changes.

Look at the tire specs for a bunch of different 17" and 20" tires - not wheels - in www.tirerack.com.

My original 235/55/17 OD is 27.2" and I can depart from that by over 1.5" by swapping tire type/size.
My question is, how many of those tires listed would go on wheels that would fit on a Cadillac Deville [or even a Seville]? “Bunch of different 17” and 20” tires” includes tires that would go on a truck? We’re talking about tires that would fit the wheels that would fit a Cadillac sedan, and as long as the wheels are correct, it’s pretty easy to buy the correct tires.

You say you can depart by over 1.5” on your original wheels? You’d have to try very hard to do that wouldn’t you?

The overall diameter of the tires my Cadillac DHS came with was 26.7. The overall diameter of my current 20” tires is 26.8”.

As long as you have the proper wheels to fit the vehicle, buying the correct tires is pretty easy. You’d really have to go out of your way to somehow mess it up by 1.5” if that’s even possible.

· Administrator
79,505 Posts
I could screw up the outside diameter by over 1.5" - simply by playing with tire specs. Not that I would, and explained why, and section height plays a big part there.

EVERY DAY we see questions on different vehicles and weird tire choices here - easy to mess up, big time.

· Premium Member
2000 DHS
1,928 Posts
I could screw up the outside diameter by over 1.5" - simply be playing with tire specs. Not that I would, and explained why, and section height plays a big part there.

EVERY DAY we see questions on different vehicles and weird tire choices here - easy to mess up, big time.
I’m curious, which tires fit your oem wheels and also increase the overall tire diameter by over 1.5”?

· Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
22,364 Posts
I’m curious, which tires fit your oem wheels and also increase the overall tire diameter by over 1.5”?
=======================
Sub has 235/55/17 stock size tires - the OD is 27.2"
ANY 17" inside diameter TIRE would obviously fit the 17" oem WHEEL -
A 235/65/17 tire has an OD of 29" - an increase of 1.8"
a 235/70/17 tire has an OD of 30" - an increase of 2.8"
a 255/60/17 tire has an OD of 29" - an increase if 1.8"
a 255/65/17 tire has an OD of 30.1" - an increase of 2.9"
a 255/70/17 tire has an OD of 31.1" - an increase of 3.9"
a 315/70/17 tire has an OD of 34.4" - an increase of 7.2" -
YES - ALL of the above tires could SAFELY be mounted on the 17" oem STS wheel

and NO - no one is saying any/all of these wheel/tire combinations would fit on the CAR -

the OP's 1997 Deville came with 225/60/16 tires - OD is 26.6"
that means he would require a 235/35/20 tire - OD is 26.5" -
the difference is loosing 2" of rubber/air sidewall cushion

· Premium Member
2000 DHS
1,928 Posts
=======================
Sub has 235/55/17 stock size tires - the OD is 27.2"
ANY 17" inside diameter TIRE would obviously fit the 17" oem WHEEL -
A 235/65/17 tire has an OD of 29" - an increase of 1.8"
a 235/70/17 tire has an OD of 30" - an increase of 2.8"
a 255/60/17 tire has an OD of 29" - an increase if 1.8"
a 255/65/17 tire has an OD of 30.1" - an increase of 2.9"
a 255/70/17 tire has an OD of 31.1" - an increase of 3.9"
a 315/70/17 tire has an OD of 34.4" - an increase of 7.2" -
YES - ALL of the above tires could SAFELY be mounted on the 17" oem STS wheel

and NO - no one is saying any/all of these wheel/tire combinations would fit on the CAR -
Thanks for the reply.

Maybe - and you need to keep the original tire outside diameter to not screw up speedo and transmission calibrations.

Given the fact that [like you/Basscatt said] none of those setups would actually fit on the car, it would be basically impossible to accidentally buy tires that would cause the issues mentioned in regards to speedometer and transmission calibrations if we’re dealing with 16” to 20” tires made to fit on a Cadillac Deville or Seville making the pre mentioned “warnings” completely irrelevant … Thank you for confirming that.

I stand by my original comment.

There’s absolutely no risk of that with 20” wheels. They’re not big enough to cause that issue.

· Administrator
79,505 Posts
We/he did NOT say that none of the possible tire sizes would fit the car - some would fit OK, some would rub without suspension/body metal modification. You need to re-read basscatt's post again and comprehend.

Re: Your original comment - what we're saying is that wheel size has little or nothing to do with tire outside diameter so the comment is misleading as well as being out of context with my quote which you copied. Post #2 is about maintaining correct tire sizing, not wheels - so your Post #3 is out of context.

You could also install a correctly dimensioned custom 27" wheel (no tire) and it would fit and you could drive the car. Poorly.

.......... and, to further muddy the water, treadwidth (which also varies with section height) is a factor to consider when rubbing in the fenderwell or on the suspension parts is encountered.

· Premium Member
2000 DHS
1,928 Posts
so your Post #3 is out of context.

You could also install a correctly dimensioned custom 27" wheel (no tire) and it would fit and you could drive the car. Poorly.
My post is out of context? Lol. Ok… Meanwhile you’re mentioning installing a 27” wheel without a tire.^ As if anyone in the world would ever do that! rolls eyes

Go to any reputable website that sells tires, they make it simple enough for even a 16 year old girl with her 1st drivers permit to figure out which tires she outta buy. It’s extremely hard for anyone to somehow accidentally wind up in the far fetched situation you warn about. And even if they did, odds are the tire wouldn’t even fit on the car when they went to try and put it on.

It’s 2022. Some people like 20” wheels. Get over it. Lol.

· Administrator
79,505 Posts
I am "over it" - but even CF members are known to try impossible hacks - happens every day - which is why they come here for good advice. (lol) :cool:

Close enough to "no tire" ? (lol)

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

For that sophisticated Deville look -

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

· Administrator
79,505 Posts
(pssstttt !!! - you didn't remove the new "edited" notation from the Post #10 title bar)

Seville and Deville never came with wheels over 17", some of the later "DTS" had 18".

All those wheels had offsets from +48mm to +51mm.

EDIT: FWIW, the Eldorado series had from 14" to 16" wheels depending on year.

· Administrator
79,505 Posts
Here's how you get the correct wheel offset for the original factory install -

"51" is the positive offset - later Seville and some early CTS wheel -

Automotive tire Rim Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive design

· Premium Member
2000 DHS
1,928 Posts
(pssstttt !!! - you didn't remove the new "edited" notation from the Post #10 title bar)

Seville and Deville never came with wheels over 17", some of the later "DTS" had 18".

All those wheels had offsets from +48mm to +51mm.

EDIT: FWIW, the Eldorado series had from 14" to 16" wheels depending on year.
Post #10 title bar? What?

I’m on Tapatalk. For all you know [and from what it sounds like] your display of this site is alot different from what I see. So whatever “title bar” you’re referring to likely doesn’t even exist on the version aka the screen I’m looking at. Remember, I’m on here through my phone, not sitting in front of a computer.

As far as 20” tires made to fit on a Deville, yes that’s what I meant. Go to “tirerack” or better yet Americas Tire Co. website and it’ll easily display 20” tires made to fit onto a Deville when paired with 20” aftermarket wheels. Why is that hard to believe?

Remember, they’re not dumb enough to try and sell you tires that won’t even fit onto your car. Just like nobody’s dumb enough to buy the wrong tires and wind up in the far fetched scenario that you warn so many people about. Remember they make it easy enough for a 16yr. old girl to buy the correct tires…

Edit: I see what you’re referring to now… Excuse me for not bothering to re read the original qoute that I tagged into my post. I wasn’t aware that some people were going to be such TRYHARDS and get together and EDIT their original comments just to try to save themselves from some petty embarrassment on an internet forum.

Good lord, you’d think you’d be too old for such pettiness, but hey I guess not. Smh.
Just further proves my point.

I don’t edit my previous statements. I stand by my words. It’s called having a Spine.

· Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,591 Posts
Just like nobody’s dumb enough to buy the wrong tires
I don't have a horse in this race, but having worked with the public (including 4 years at AutoZone in college ) I could totally see someone showing up at a tire shop with tires that are waaaay off. I admire your optimism but you're giving the general public entirely too much credit :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just like you see someone with factory rims and tires that fit the rims....but are waaaaaaaay too small diameter wise

· Premium Member
2000 DHS
1,928 Posts
I don't have a horse in this race, but having worked with the public (including 4 years at AutoZone in college ) I could totally see someone showing up at a tire shop with tires that are waaaay off. I admire your optimism but you're giving the general public entirely too much credit :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just like you see someone with factory rims and tires that fit the rims....but are waaaaaaaay too small diameter wise
I was more so referring to a person/people who are members of this forum.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts