Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 STS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1998 STS. I have the jack, but I am missing the wheel wrench used to take off the wheel nuts.

Where can I obtain a wheel wrench for this car? I checked my owner's manual for the size of the wheel nuts, but I could not find this information. I would prefer an OEM part so that it will fit nicely into the trunk storage area, but an aftermarket part will do if that is all that's available.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,116 Posts
:confused: Not sure about a '98, but the later series uses a 19mm (3/4") lug nut covered by the same size s/s trim cap. The thread is 12mmx1.5. If you can't find an OEM nut wrench on EBay, get a generic 4-way chrome wrench and carefully tuck it into the top of the mini-spare. BTW, the s/s trim caps are so thin and cheesy that any force will destroy them...spend some $ on a set of McGard lug nuts.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,987 Posts
The wrenches that come with the car are relatively useless as you can only apply an uneven force and a twisting one at that. I carry a 4 way in every car I own and have one in each of my daughters as well. It is the only way to go.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Put a 4 way lug wrench in your trunk. Also, buy some luminous red tape and put a small ring around the 3/4 inch lug wrench section. (When you are working a night, you will not have to guess which end you are using.)

You can also take that luminous tape and put multiple 1/2 inch squares on inside of trunk lid and on edges of door jams. When you open doors or trunk in traffic at night, oncoming lights will reflect on tape. May prevent an accident. I have done this for years.

·
Registered
1998 STS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the posts. I'll look for a 4-way wrench at the auto parts store...and good tip with the luminous tape. I'll look for that too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts