Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2015 ATS Coupè 2.0T
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this is my first post since my introduction, I hope I'm not being redundant, I'm sure there are other posts on this out there on this, but I'm looking for some suggestions on a set of wheels for my ATS, I'm new to wheel changes and fitment and what not and I have been doing some research into it. To get to the point I'm looking for ideas and options, I currently have the stock 18s and powder coating them is an option I'm considering, but I'm not crazy about the pattern that they have. I'm looking for wheels that are more stealthy, I'm not looking for that super loud kind of appearance,and I really dont want to mess with the handling characteristics of the car, I am so in love with how it handles already, it feels so fantastic to confidently carve up corners😂 So I'd like to keep the staggered wheels,(8FR,9R), but I see that really limits my aftermarket options from what I've found, so I'd love to hear what other members have tried and suggestions I haven't even considered. Thanks for your guys time!

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T 6spd manual Performance RWD
580 Posts
If you don't yet, you need to have a solid understanding of wheels (hub bore, offset, diameter/width, and bolt pattern...also known as bolt circle or PCD), and tires (section width, profile, etc). Then from there you can decide how you want the wheel and tire combo to look and fit, which determines the specs you get them in. Measuring out from the center cap of your wheels to the fender of the car is a helpful way to know how much room you have to play with. Spend some time on Tire Rack reading about all this, play with online wheel/tire calculators, etc to educate yourself and then you can make an informed decision you will be happy with. Nothing worse than spending a bunch of money on a setup you're not happy with or didn't achieve the look you wanted.

Just a note about bolt pattern, 5x115 limits your choices and can be more costly if the wheels you want need to be drilled that way from the factory. Which means you only have so many places you can buy them from, which may charge more. And that may be fine, you may find what you like for the price you like in 5x115. I could not, so I went with 5x114.3 wheels and run hubcentric rings since the hub bore of the aftermarket wheels is larger than the hub bore of the car. The bolt patterns are literally a hair different, many wheels, lugnuts, etc aren't even machined to that small of a tolerance so it's not really anything to worry about. So just something to consider if you want to expand your options.

·
Registered
2015 ATS Coupè 2.0T
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you don't yet, you need to have a solid understanding of wheels (hub bore, offset, diameter/width, and bolt pattern...also known as bolt circle or PCD), and tires (section width, profile, etc). Then from there you can decide how you want the wheel and tire combo to look and fit, which determines the specs you get them in. Measuring out from the center cap of your wheels to the fender of the car is a helpful way to know how much room you have to play with. Spend some time on Tire Rack reading about all this, play with online wheel/tire calculators, etc to educate yourself and then you can make an informed decision you will be happy with. Nothing worse than spending a bunch of money on a setup you're not happy with or didn't achieve the look you wanted.

Just a note about bolt pattern, 5x115 limits your choices and can be more costly if the wheels you want need to be drilled that way from the factory. Which means you only have so many places you can buy them from, which may charge more. And that may be fine, you may find what you like for the price you like in 5x115. I could not, so I went with 5x114.3 wheels and run hubcentric rings since the hub bore of the aftermarket wheels is larger than the hub bore of the car. The bolt patterns are literally a hair different, many wheels, lugnuts, etc aren't even machined to that small of a tolerance so it's not really anything to worry about. So just something to consider if you want to expand your options.
Thank you very much STM, it's good to hear from someone so knowledgeable, I was admiring your car all morning yesterday, I did a bunch of research and have a much better mental understanding of what i want and what to look for in terms of fitment.I haven't gotten the chance to start pulling wheels off and take measurements yet.
But if i can pick your brain, and perhaps anyone reading this, I have an awd coupe, so I have the staggered wheels, what would be some of the advantages and disadvantages of going to a square setup? I understand that this is fairly vague as it doesn't take in for consideration thing that will be affected by tire size choice

·
Registered
2014 ATS 2.0T 6spd manual Performance RWD
580 Posts
The advantages for a square setup is the ease of rotating your tires and I guess cost of not buying wider tires for the rear since typically more rubber = more money (not always, my Hankook Ventus V12's were the same price for 235/35 and 265/30). Though if you get directional tires, you kind of cancel out the rotating advantage. Otherwise I prefer staggered just because it looks so much cooler, nothing like a meaty stance from the rear imo. Plus personally I'm not a big believer in tire rotation, I have owned many different sets of wheels on many different cars and if you have a proper alignment, I have found it just doesn't make much difference, if at all. Anyway you can do either staggered or square setups on an AWD car, just make sure the rolling diameters are the same at all 4 corners.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts