·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #21

·
Registered
196 Posts
Twitch - same thing just happened to me... I had to reef on the wheel and just pound the stud into submission to get it off. PITA.

My solution for the meantime is to drive on 5 lugs until I feel like taking the hub apart.

Mine is also on the rear.

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
Impacts on lug nuts = :thepan: Get ya a cheap 4 way and avoid this problem in the future. Oh, and lay off the meth Tony. You are better than that :)

I think that Torx bolt on the rotor is T40 if I remember right. When I removed my 34mm spindle nuts, only one of mine was pretty tight. The other came off pretty easily. When we did Rob's axles, his came off really easy as well. Weird. When reinstalling, replace the spindle nut, and don't forget the red loctite.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Impacts on lug nuts = :thepan: Get ya a cheap 4 way and avoid this problem in the future. Oh, and lay off the meth Tony. You are better than that :)
I bought the impact gun mostly for the lugs. I HATE taking off the rims :mad:

No more meth for now. With this economy, I'm back to good-ol crack :cloud9:

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Impacts are fine as long as you hand thread the nuts on a few turns ewe lazy basterds...

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V, '07 SRT8 Jeep, '86 Fiero
1,646 Posts
You drilled the lug stud and lug nut out?

I have a stripped lock that I can't get off of my wrecked car. Drilling is the only thing I haven't tried yet. Sucks.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You drilled the lug stud and lug nut out?

I have a stripped lock that I can't get off of my wrecked car. Drilling is the only thing I haven't tried yet. Sucks.
Drill worked like a charm.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Impacts are fine as long as you hand thread the nuts on a few turns ewe lazy basterds...
^^yeah that

and use a very small compressor. Mine doesn't have enough balls to completely tighten the nuts. I use the impact wrench, then tighten the rest with a hand wrench.

·
Registered
NONE
3,844 Posts
^^yeah that

and use a very small compressor. Mine doesn't have enough balls to completely tighten the nuts. I use the impact wrench, then tighten the rest with a hand wrench.
At work we thread them on a few threads by hand, then we just hit the impact enough to snug them on, then we lower the vehicle and finish with a TQ wrench.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I always put a few turns on by hand. I think it has more to do with the fact that the accessories fit a little tight.
Gun is a cordless Dewalt.

·
Registered
196 Posts
So I took my wheel off this weekend with the intention of changing the stud. Looking closer at the stud I saw that the threads were totally fine and it was just the unthreaded lead-in that was jacked up. Took a hacksaw and cut the lead-in off. Ran a tap over it to start the thread and it works fine now. Just need to be careful to start the lug on straight. I will be changing the stud eventually, but I had an autocross on Sunday and want to make sure my wheel didn't fall off. The inside of the lug is totally stripped out. I still have no idea how it happened considering it stripped when I was taking it OFF.

·
Registered
09 CTS-V a tuxedo with a jetpack!
2,460 Posts
So I took my wheel off this weekend with the intention of changing the stud. Looking closer at the stud I saw that the threads were totally fine and it was just the unthreaded lead-in that was jacked up. Took a hacksaw and cut the lead-in off. Ran a tap over it to start the thread and it works fine now. Just need to be careful to start the lug on straight. I will be changing the stud eventually, but I had an autocross on Sunday and want to make sure my wheel didn't fall off. The inside of the lug is totally stripped out. I still have no idea how it happened considering it stripped when I was taking it OFF.
Take a flat bastard file to the tip of the stud now at a 45 degree angle and round off the tip of the stud. That will take the bite out of the second thread and work every time you start a nut. That's how nascar does it. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,179 Posts
^^yeah that

Forget the little compressor idea, try one of these :

http://www.torquestick.com/

Less then $20!

I usually start them by hand, then run them with impact gun and the 100ft/lbs torque stick. Then once car is down, I hand torque with a torque wrench. Never over tighten that way. I always remove with impact (no torque stick), and they are never too tight.

Ron

21 - 34 of 34 Posts