Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kinda stuck right now.
The lug nut is stuck on the stud and the stud is stripped.
I've tried a few things, but no luck.

Took the nut off for the hub. Does it just pull off? Or will something else get in the way, like the break calliper.
Anybody have any ideas? Cuz I'm about to just yank the rim n try to snap the stud. Don't think it would stay to drill it.

Damn................

·
Registered
NONE
3,844 Posts
Lightly tack weld the stud to the back of the hub...get the lug nut and wheel off, grind off the tack welds, install new stud! That's what we just did on my buddy's Mustang and it seemed to work pretty well.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lightly tack weld the stud to the back of the hub...get the lug nut and wheel off, grind off the tack welds, install new stud! That's what we just did on my buddy's Mustang and it seemed to work pretty well.
Great idea. But you cant get to the back of the stud.

X

·
0 Posts
It wont let me post links, but if you do a google search for "how to replace a stripped wheel stud" there are some DIY articles on how to do it. I found a good one but I can't post the link because I am new.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
googling......

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Looking at the Service Manual, I don't think you can access anything without getting the wheel off first. That means you target obstacle is the lug nut instead of the stud. I think you are going to have to cut, drill, or otherwise get the lug nut off. Have you tried a air tool yet?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been using a cordless impact gun. Probably what got me into this mess in the first place.
Managed to drill the damn thing off. Wheel is off, and I'm trying to figure out this damn hub, so I can put the new stud in.
Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
Been using a cordless impact gun. Probably what got me into this mess in the first place.
Managed to drill the damn thing off. Wheel is off, and I'm trying to figure out this damn hub, so I can put the new stud in.
Thanks guys
I've got the Service Manual out - front or rear?

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
rear.

Unless you stripped another one since I saw you a couple weeks ago.

good luck Tony.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,080 Posts
Geez, Tony, glad you got that far. What a PITA. That's the worst of it, I'd think.

I put a new stud in a couple years back. You have to take off a bunch of stuff (heck, if it's the rear, you might as well put new axles in there, too, while you're at it :D). Then, tap (bang?) the old stud out through to the back of the hub. Voila!

Good luck!

·
Banned
05 CTS-V
889 Posts
all that damn power stripped those nuts out brother! hope all goes well!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
REAR WHEEL BEARING HUB –WITH WHEEL ALREADY OFF
1. Remove brake caliper (2 – 18 mm bolts on the back of the knuckle).
2. Suspend / tie caliper out of the way – do not remove brake line.
3. Remove (and discard – supposed to use a new one every time). Requires 34mm deep socket (torqued at 118 lb. ft.)
4. Unplug ABS electrical connector.
4. Remove rotor hold screw (torx) and remove rotor.
5. Remove parking brake bracket from back of knuckle.
6. Remove bearing hub using a wheel puller that can be bolted to hub with center removal bolt to push against axle center point.
7. Remove and replace wheel stud.
8. Reinstall everything – use thread locker (allowed to dry on all threads for 10 minutes) on the 2 caliper bolts (torque to 88 ft. lbs.) – and use new axle nut (118 ft. lbs.)

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks D. I was gonna ask about the axle nut. I used the impact gun, but it just came right off :mad:
This was one of those things that everytime you try something, it gets worse. Once I got the rim off, everything went well. Lot of work getting that hub out. Too bad I had the wrong studs :nono:. Store was already closed, so I had to put it back together as is. Not looking forward to doing all that work again. At least I know what to do now.
Thanks again

Tony

BTW Cordless impact gun is a MUST :cool:

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
I feel your pain, those aren't really that easy.
Glad to hear you got it off of there.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I feel your pain, those aren't really that easy.
Glad to hear you got it off of there.
It's funny, cuz the plan was to change two studs, and work on relocating my meth pump. I just realized that I got nothing done :banghead:

·
Registered
05 Raven V
951 Posts
Kinda stuck right now.
The lug nut is stuck on the stud and the stud is stripped.
I've tried a few things, but no luck.

Took the nut off for the hub. Does it just pull off? Or will something else get in the way, like the break calliper.
Anybody have any ideas? Cuz I'm about to just yank the rim n try to snap the stud. Don't think it would stay to drill it.

Damn................

Liquid nitrogen and a drill with a tapping set. Not gonna be fun though.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V Infared, 2013ATS, 2016 ATSV
922 Posts
All that sounds easy. I'm working on a BMW 318 and EVERYTHING is difficult and involved on that car! Be happy you aren't driving a BMW!

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
'06 Z06, '05 CTS-V 453rwhp/434rwtq (sold)
4,455 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts