Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
02 Deville, 99 deville - both Adriatic Blue
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front driver's side wheel squeeks. I took off the wheel and the pads look fine, I don't see any metal rubbing against the rotor. Has this happened to anybody else? 96 Eldorado

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado Sport Coupe, 2009 Black Navigator
5,032 Posts
Strange you should post this thread I also have a 96Eldo and I'm experiencing a rubbing on my passenger's side. I'm not sure if it's the brakes or the steering. From what I can tell it seems to be the steering since it seems to stop when I make a left turn. I wish I would have read this thread before I started another one. My thread is Brakes? Steering? WTF incase you might find some info there. So far like yours no takers. Hopefully we both might get the answers were lookin for.

·
Registered
02 Deville, 99 deville - both Adriatic Blue
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did some research on here about this problem and I think it is most likely the wheel bearing, either it needs grease, or it needs to be replaced. It looks like the part is about $130 on ebay and rockauto.com for the assembly, not too bad, but I'm going to try grease first.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
If the squeek goes away when making a turn, then it may well be a wheel bearing. usually they "growl" and the growl goes away when you unload the bad bearing ie: left bearing quiets up when turning left and growls louder when turning right and vice versa. Usually the best way to test it is to do a series of "S" turns like a Nascar driver warming his tires. A faulty bearing noise will come and go as you turn the wheel.

·
Registered
1998 deville, 2000 sls, 2006 CTS-V, 2001 STS, 2007 STS V8
440 Posts
on my 00 sls i have the same problem with the noise, I went to the dealership to get it checked and they said it was the brake sensors because they were a little worn and the only way to get rid of it would be to replace them. (they were not bad). but just today I sprayed some brake cleaner on the brakes and rotors and the noise seemed to dissapear. hopefully it will stay like that. but I dont know if 95,96 years have brake sensors. do they?

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
My 02 had a rubbing sound that got worse the slower you went. The drive shafts were rubbing where they "connect" to the transaxle. A big blob of high temp grease solved the problem.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Ranger, I read while reseaching through the threads that you changed your daughter's Seville wheel bearings. Is it a difficult job to do, from what I can tell with the Sevice Manual it looks pretty simple with the right tools but most things that look simple usually are'nt. Pep-Boys quoted me a price of $237 with parts & labor. If I can fix it myself I will because funds are kind of tight right now. I know this is a very low price compared to what I've seen in the threads. I'm not cheap I just need every $$$ I can save.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Ranger, I read while reseaching through the threads that you changed your daughter's Seville wheel bearings. Is it a difficult job to do, from what I can tell with the Sevice Manual it looks pretty simple with the right tools but most things that look simple usually are'nt. Pep-Boys quoted me a price of $237 with parts & labor. If I can fix it myself I will because funds are kind of tight right now. I know this is a very low price compared to what I've seen in the threads. I'm not cheap I just need every $$$ I can save.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
Well, no not quite. I changed 3 out of the 4 on her "Snarus" (pre- Seville). I did one on my '92 Deville. The Deville was a snap. The Snarus was a bastard ("Ford has a better idea") but got easier with experience. I suspect the Seville is much like the Deville and should be doable for you, depending on your skill level. A large puller may come in handy but in some instances may not even be neccassary.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts