Cadillac Owners Forum banner

wheel spat part number / description help

2K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  sadpanda 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I don't think any model of the ATS had true wheel spats which are a semi-circular ring extending out from the wheel opening to provide coverage of a wide tire. GM created a lot of controversy when they were added to the front wheel openings of the Corvette Z06 as seen in the photo of mine below with the black spats on the Laguna Blue body. I don't think they would look good on the ATS and weren't included from GM on any ATS model including the V series.

Attachments

Reactions: zimc6
#4 ·
I had to look up 'wheel spats', and found several commonly-held understandings:
- aircraft wheel fairings, a.k.a. wheel pants
- fender skirt (see Honda Insight)
- fender extensions or wheel arch covers (like on Z06, or on travel trailers); by definition, the ATS-V had spats on the front wheel wells as part of the aero package
- the small deflectors mounted discretely under the car at the front of a wheel well.

I believe Mr. sadpanda is looking for these small extensions, highlighted below...the best bet to find them might be to talk to a body shop and find out what they call them.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Luxury vehicle

#9 ·
Thanks! There wasn't quite as much controversy over the spats as the change from round tail lights in the C7 generation but it was close :)

There was a heated debate over whether the spats were for aero reasons as claimed by the lead engineer or used to better fit the wide tires into the existing front end design (the regular C7 has 245/40R18 in front while the Z wears 285/30ZR19 on the front and there was a heated debate over whether the Z uses the same front clip as the base and Z51 variants) Corvette design is nearly as heated as political discussion :(

#8 ·
I'm kind of in the same boat. I snapped off the front passenger deflector which broke a hole in the fender liner it was attached to. After seeing that the old lower fender liner was discontinued (it's all one big piece now and part of a set with the deflector) I ended up going back to the place I thought the damage occured and, sure enough, the pieces were still there. I glued the liner back together and it's been holding great, so I don't need a new one. Now I just need to take it all back apart and get some reinforcement on the inside to hold the deflector on better than before.

#12 ·
I found these btw... Its not part of the description but they are sold as a pack of ALL 4 ie front and rear.

pic here:

#13 ·
Good find! The passenger side rear cracked on mine a couple of years ago just before I was leaving on a trip (road debris) so I took it off and repaired with epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth where it doesn't show. But I will probably pick up another rear deflector from a parted out ATS via ebay; usually stuff like this can be acquired via messaging a seller who is listing other more commonly sought stuff from a totaled vehicle.

Rodger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.