Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 DTS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have H&R TRAK+ wheel spacers on my other vehicle, and I am very interested in using small-sized spacers on my DTS. I'm not sure what width yet, but something subtle to give the factory wheels a better offset.

I have looked at the three companies I know of that make wheel spacers: H&R, Eibach, and Ichiba, all of which do not list applications for DeVilles. I have seen applications for Escalades, though...go figure.

Any information about this topic? Other (quality) manufacturers?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,031 Posts
#1: DON'T

#2: These vehicles use a one-piece wheel hub/bearing capsule in which the inner and outer bearings are unusually close together. The hub capsules experience rapid wear and failure with non-spec offsets. At somewhere around $150 apiece, why ???

#3: You don't see spacers for these FWD drivetrains for a reason.

·
Registered
2000 DTS
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
#1: DON'T

#2: These vehicles use a one-piece wheel hub/bearing capsule in which the inner and outer bearings are unusually close together. The hub capsules experience rapid wear and failure with non-spec offsets. At somewhere around $150 apiece, why ???

#3: You don't see spacers for these FWD drivetrains for a reason.
Oh wow. That's some information I definitely did not know.

So are those running low offset, large diameter wheels on these FWD Sevilles and DeVilles wearing their hubs incredibly quickly? It seems like 1/4 the Cadillacs I see have 20"+ "bling" wheels, at least in some areas around where I live.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,031 Posts
The larger diameter wheel, if the offset is close to original spec, will not harm the bearing capsules: it's the offset that increases the leverage on the bearings. (Excessively large wheels/small tire section heights give a very rough ride performance.)

Most wheels (original) are designed so the wheel vertical centerline is close to the bearing centerline, which does not introduce a twisting or bending moment into the load carrying equation. You balance a ruler across a finger and it stays level - begin to move the ruler one way or the other and the weight imbalance causes the ruler to rotate. An off-center wheel introduces the same twisting moment in the bearing package.

Short answer: Yes, the non-stock offsets will cause premature bearing failure, especially if the car is driven on road courses or highway speeds frequently.

Take a look at www.rockauto.com and get to your car and year/model - 2000 Deville VIN 9. Use the menu to find brake/wheel hub, wheel bearings and click on the little picture or (!) icon to get a bigger view of a Cadillac bearing capsule - it's all one unit, no separate bearings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts