Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 05 V the owner had put 20" chrome wheels on it, at first I didn't like them but they really grew on me. This winter I bought Dunlop winter sports for the stock 18's, when I had the wheels switched out the shop told me I was lucky I didn't lose a wheel. He said the person that installed the 20" wheels used a spacer to make them fit that wasn't wide enough, then made up the difference with washers on each wheel, he said (and showed me) that two of the spacers were cracked. :eek: I took it back today to see if he had a solution and he said it wasn't possible to make the wheels work and I needed to buy new 20's from HIM for $1500 each (yeah right!) :rant2: I'm not sure what to do, would the wheels work safely if I had new spacers made? Should I contact SPD or somewhere like that to make me billet spacers? I don't really want to give up the wheels. Does anybody know where to get aftermarket 19 or 20" wheels that will bolt right on?

Thanks for any help.

Mike

·
Registered
05 CTS-V raven black
1,131 Posts
what kind of wheels are they??? width etc...

·
Registered
Cadillac
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try to post pics tomorrow of the wheels, spacers etc. They are 20". The tires are 255-35 R20. The wheels are 20x8.5 6x115. I don't really know the brand, I'll try to find out. I think they say RS20 in the hubs. I have the receipt saying he paid $382 each for the wheels, $185 each for the tires, and $4 each for the spacers (one is broken).

·
Registered
05 CTS-V raven black
1,131 Posts
I'll try to post pics tomorrow of the wheels, spacers etc. They are 20". The tires are 255-35 R20. The wheels are 20x8.5 6x115. I don't really know the brand, I'll try to find out. I think they say RS20 in the hubs. I have the receipt saying he paid $382 each for the wheels, $185 each for the tires, and $4 each for the spacers (one is broken).
if the receipt has part number etc...post it as well...it will trying to figure out the backspace on the rims....

·
Registered
NONE
3,844 Posts
I bet they are truck wheels and he used the spacers to correct the offset.

·
Registered
Cadillac
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bet you are right, I saw the exact same wheels on a truck and an Escalade in that same town. I'll get the part number of the wheels tonight and post it, I'll try to get pics also.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
1,415 Posts
You don't think they are the Vogue wheels and he just wanted to space em out to be wider do you? All the "truck" wheels I looked at even though they had 6 bolts... none of them had 115MM bolt patterns....

·
Registered
Cadillac
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They also told me I will probably need longer lug nuts because they think I need about a 1/2 inch spacer. Anybody have any experienc with this? Sounds like I'm setting it up for an unstable ride or a lot of vibration.

·
Registered
05 PLATINUM CTS-V
2,985 Posts
wheel spacers are scary.. i would say just for your safety and so you dont destroy your V sell them and just keep the oem wheels or buy a new set of 20"s.

·
Registered
05 CTS-V raven black
1,131 Posts
OK, the brand is 20 inches strong. Here is a link. http://www.twentyinchesstrong.net/store/catalog.php?cat_id=25&scat_id=455 Of course I can't find the exact part on here. The ticket I have says they are part TIS09 20x8.5 with a 6 x 115 bolt pattern.
dude...I bet those are heavy as hell...to each his own but i would run the stockers over those anyday...I had 20" foose rims on mine when I got my V....I sold them and paid for the stockers to get powdercoated and some new sticky's put on and had cash left over...saved about 14# per wheel

·
Registered
04 cadillac cts v
5,585 Posts
I know How your feeling right now. But Let me do you a favor. I wanted the same thing as you. I used to love 20's and I even had them on my 03 cts (look at my fquick for pics) But honestly 19 is the biggest you want to go with these cars. If I were you I would powder coat/ chrome /or black chrome your rims (look at the V2 forum a guy has done that too cal-chrome.com) And then Lower your v and you will fall in love with the ride and you can keep the stock look too. We have some of the nicest stock rims out there and why waste them.

Cliff notes:

1. sell 20's
  2. modify stock rims
  3. lower V
  4. enjoy your nice ride (which will be faster and alot less harsh with more sidewall

Lets try and change Your mind with some nice stockers Pics

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I know How your feeling right now. But Let me do you a favor. I wanted the same thing as you. I used to love 20's and I even had them on my 03 cts (look at my fquick for pics) But honestly 19 is the biggest you want to go with these cars. If I were you I would powder coat/ chrome /or black chrome your rims (look at the V2 forum a guy has done that too cal-chrome.com) And then Lower your v and you will fall in love with the ride and you can keep the stock look too. We have some of the nicest stock rims out there and why waste them.

Cliff notes:

1. sell 20's
  2. modify stock rims
  3. lower V
  4. enjoy your nice ride (which will be faster and alot less harsh with more sidewall

Lets try and change Your mind with some nice stockers Pics
That is, by far, the most efficient way I've seen anyone on this forum attempt to 'show the light' and persuade someone away from 20s. Works much better than, "20s are stupid! You suck! Go the CTS Forums! Dur!" Kudos. :thumbsup:

With that said, I don't think a nice set of 20s on the V are a bad thing. On the contrary, I think it can be a very good thing, visually (though, unfortunately, I don't think I can say that about any of TIS's offerings), with the understanding that it will compromise performance. Hence, you would have to swap em out, when the circumstances call for it. But, hey, you don't wear the same shoes everyday.

·
Registered
04 cadillac cts v
5,585 Posts
That is, by far, the most efficient way I've seen anyone on this forum attempt to 'show the light' and persuade someone away from 20s. Works much better than, "20s are stupid! You suck! Go the CTS Forums! Dur!" Kudos. :thumbsup:

With that said, I don't think a nice set of 20s on the V are a bad thing. On the contrary, I think it can be a very good thing, visually (though, unfortunately, I don't think I can say that about any of TIS's offerings), with the understanding that it will compromise performance. Hence, you would have to swap em out, when the circumstances call for it. But, hey, you don't wear the same shoes everyday.
LOL yeah pics can say 1000 words so that was a 10,000 word response LOL Btw I really like the look of 20's , i just saw a cts with them in my town and it looked great. Hell my old car used to look spectacular. Thing is though they rode like crap and 18's and lowered look the same size (or atleast fill the fender well the same) SO why not stick with the stockers or the acessorys :confused:

·
Registered
Cadillac
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I might try to find a set of stock wheels and have them chromed or black chromed. I'm sure you guys are right. Now I just need to find somebody to buy those 20's.

·
Registered
NONE
3,844 Posts
Where are you located? I would consider a trade for my Gloss Black stockers for your rims. Now that I have track wheels I am just looking for something to look cool on the street.

·
Registered
Cadillac
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am in Kansas City. I think I'll keep the stockers that the winter tires are on, and use them in the fall and winter, I'm now either looking for a set of stockers that are chromed or black chromed, or that somebody wants to sell and I'll get them chromed myself.

·
Registered
04 cadillac cts v
5,585 Posts
I am in Kansas City. I think I'll keep the stockers that the winter tires are on, and use them in the fall and winter, I'm now either looking for a set of stockers that are chromed or black chromed, or that somebody wants to sell and I'll get them chromed myself.
smart man!! and be patient and you will find them for around 600 :thumbsup:

Razereco had his V2 wheels black chromed pvd'd for 175 a wheel and they are 19's so it might be cheaper for us from these guys http://www.calchrome.com/ I want to do the same thing but already powdercoated my wheels so i might just spray mine with clearcoat and black mixed and try to get a closer look to the real thing

1 - 20 of 20 Posts