Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all,
I am looking to buy a 2016 ELR in the next couple months or so. I am wondering if any of you know if the regular wheels fit over the sport package brakes. I like the sport model but I like the reg wheels better. Let me know what you know please.!

·
Registered
43 Posts
As far as I have been told they will not fit, but I've never tried it. If you find a set that does fit I might be interested in buying your old ones.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As far as I have been told they will not fit, but I've never tried it. If you find a set that does fit I might be interested in buying your old ones.
Ok, I will let you know. My next post if I get the sport package was going to be if someone with all silver stock wheels would want to trade. I may end up just buying a set and have both with different tires on them. Maybe throw blizzaks on the sport package ones so If I wanted to drive it in the winter I could.

I am thinking they wont because of the Brembo brakes, I would love to have those but I really prefer the reg wheels over the stock wheels.

1st world problems...LOL.

·
Registered
2016 ELR (silver), 2009 CTS Premium Sedan (red), 2005 CTS-V (red)
451 Posts
Everyone always "says" it's because of the larger brakes, but I think that's just an assumption. I've never heard of anyone actually trying it. I really think the sport wheels (off the Buick Cascada) were just a quick way to differentiate the car. I'm with you—the unique ELR wheels are nicer looking.

Please be sure to post something if you try the wheel swap. I've always toyed with the idea of swapping out the brakes on my ELR for the larger ones, but it doesn't really seem like it's worth the cost and hassle, and I wouldn't want to lose my wheels.

Good luck with your ELR hunt! They're awesome cars!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I will let you know! I think I found a non-perf package one that I may make a move on.

I didn't realise those were off the Cascada, that is interesting. Knowing that makes me tend to agree with you.

Have a great day!

·
Registered
2016 Cadillac ELR, 2015 Cadillac SRX Luxury, 2015 Fiat 500 Sport, 2005 Nissan Maxima SE
17 Posts
I’d be interested in knowing where you find a set of ELR wheels. I attempted to purchase a set of black from Detroit Wheels and Tires and they had to cancel my order. Said they doubt they will ever get a set to sell.

·
Registered
2016 Cadillac ELR, 2015 Cadillac SRX Luxury, 2015 Fiat 500 Sport, 2005 Nissan Maxima SE
17 Posts
I found this site.

I’d be interested to know if they actually have them available. Detroit Wheels and Tires showed mine in stock, allowed me to order and pay, then a week later refunded my money saying they have nothing available and don’t expect to. At this point I’m going to try and find a place to repair the set I have.

·
2016 ELR
2016 ELR
329 Posts
I’d be interested in knowing where you find a set of ELR wheels. I attempted to purchase a set of black from Detroit Wheels and Tires and they had to cancel my order. Said they doubt they will ever get a set to sell.
I don't know who you talked to but that has to be wrong. I sent my first set in and they sent me back new or perfectly refurbed ELR's in powder coated black. Then a short time later I had the same guy send me another set of black powder coated for my winter wheel set (which I still haven't tired-up yet since Oregon had a mild winter last year). He made it sound like they had lots. He was one of those guys that was really hard to get a hold of, doesn't want to return phone calls or emails but was great texting back and forth. I don't understand it, but I come across that quite frequently.... text or nothing guys. Anyway check again with Detroit Tire and Wheel, they were really awesome professional, and do great coatings...uh if you can get a hold of the right guy....And the prices were very fair.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't know who you talked to but that has to be wrong. I sent my first set in and they sent me back new or perfectly refurbed ELR's in powder coated black. Then a short time later I had the same guy send me another set of black powder coated for my winter wheel set (which I still haven't tired-up yet since Oregon had a mild winter last year). He made it sound like they had lots. He was one of those guys that was really hard to get a hold of, doesn't want to return phone calls or emails but was great texting back and forth. I don't understand it, but I come across that quite frequently.... text or nothing guys. Anyway check again with Detroit Tire and Wheel, they were really awesome professional, and do great coatings...uh if you can get a hold of the right guy....And the prices were very fair.
Do you have the contact information for who you worked with? I would love to get a refurbished set in black and then, like you, send in my current set for refinishing.

·
Registered
2014 ELR (RR) in Blk/BLk
89 Posts
Do you have the contact information for who you worked with? I would love to get a refurbished set in black and then, like you, send in my current set for refinishing.
There are numerous mobile wheel repair companies out there. They will come to your car, and refinish your wheels without having to send back-and-forth, nor will you need a set to use while this is being done.

·
Registered
2014 ELR (RR) in Blk/BLk
89 Posts
I've always toyed with the idea of swapping out the brakes on my ELR for the larger ones, but it doesn't really seem like it's worth the cost and hassle, and I wouldn't want to lose my wheels.
I've checked into this thoroughly and you would have to replace so many parts, the cost would outweigh the upside.

·
2016 ELR
2016 ELR
329 Posts
There are numerous mobile wheel repair companies out there. They will come to your car, and refinish your wheels without having to send back-and-forth, nor will you need a set to use while this is being done.
I don't think anyone can powder coat wheels on the fly....

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,813 Posts
I'm kind of sad about my wheels. It looks like they were re-done right before I bought my ELR. They have perfect silver powder coat on them. But... they are monotone. They are supposed to be the machined face with the dark inserts. I'd really like to get a stock set for it. Maybe I should try painting or plasti-dip the window inserts in a darker titanium shade...

·
Registered
2014 ELR (RR) in Blk/BLk
89 Posts
I thought about doing the same, but I like them so much the way they are, I didn't want to mess them up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts