Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any chance someone out there that's good with photoshop could chop these onto my car?

Dealer yesterday found I have 2 bent wheels, and I found that set of older style (16") STS wheels for $250 on craigslist. I've been toying with the idea of going to 16" wheels anyway in pursuit of a softer ride, better isolation, and hopefully no more bent wheels!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
My local tire shop has a computer for customer use that allows you to select your car, tires and wheels to view what they might look like together. You might want to call around to your tire shops. The program doesn't use actual photos of cars so it's not perfectly ideal, but it's a start.

Any chance someone out there that's good with photoshop could chop these onto my car?

Dealer yesterday found I have 2 bent wheels, and I found that set of older style (16") STS wheels for $250 on craigslist. I've been toying with the idea of going to 16" wheels anyway in pursuit of a softer ride, better isolation, and hopefully no more bent wheels!

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you put 16's on your car it will look like a pregnant roach on roller skates. Those tires will barely fill the wheel wells but if thats what you want ,more power to ya.:yup:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just an opinion. Those wheels in the picture are no where near as nice as the OEM on the car. Don't screw the pooch. There are great wheels out there, but those in the photo don't make the cut.
Again, just my thoughts............................ Joe P

·
Registered
223 Posts
just buy the OE replica wheels, dont put those hideous things on there...you will regret it, its like throwing good money after bad...

·
Registered
349 Posts
just buy the OE replica wheels, dont put those hideous things on there...you will regret it, its like throwing good money after bad...
I agree, the choice of wheels will not be good looking on an '06 STS. I would only put those wheels on if I had no other choice due to money constraints. Otherwise, I would either buy new or some nice used OEM wheels on ebay or reputable dealer. And putting smaller (16") wheels on a car that already has arguably undersized wheels is not a good choice IMO. I bought two used OEM wheels on ebay for $115 each and they came in good shape.

·
Registered
811 Posts
if you put 16s on you might have clearance issues with your rotor/calipers. from my understanding the 05+ sts have larger rotors then the older STSs.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This was discussed elsewhere and the general concensus is a 16" wheel will fit fine as long as I don't have the performance brake option (which I don't).

Pregnant roach? Funny image! Big wheels with skinny tires do look cool, but they ride terrible. My Jeep rides better than my Cadillac, I think maybe this is related to my jeep having 31" tires on 15" wheels. Lots more cushy rubber to isolate things. Plus the fact that my car has had THREE bent wheels makes me skeptical of large wheels with low profile tires.

And yea, those aren't my favorite STS wheels, I'd prefer at least the chrome ones, or the 5 spoke. The problem is if I go to 16" wheels I need tires too, and getting wheels and tires at the same time is an expensive proposition...
I will probably just persue the replacement stock wheels. but in the "looking for a softer ride" thread people suggested a 16" wheel which got me thinking..

·
Registered
115 Posts
When I first got my STS from a private owner it had 235 60r 18s on the rear I forgot what was on the front but they were meatier than stock as well, if you want a more cushioned ride try adding more meat to your 18s my car rode fine. I immediately changed them to 50s all around which is what I'm riding on for the winter, once the weather breaks back to my 20s.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I currently have 17's not 18's.
I went from the 235 to a 255 width, with a larger aspect ratio than stock to get ~1" larger overall diameter.

I think I am going to stick with the 17's though, but next time around I will probably go back to a narrower tire with a taller aspect ratio, something like the goodyear comfortred.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts