Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone really stopped Wheel hop. i am sooooooo sick of it, I am ready to dump the car.

This morning I was starting up from a dead stop, street was alittle wet, and you guessed it WHEEL HOP.

I have owned many fast cars and this is the only one that I have owned that has wheel hop.

I got the bushings, changed my tires and put the brace on the differencial. And to no avail I still get wheel hop. ( What a sh!t design ) I would think Cadillac could do better than this.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I am begining to really think this car is JUNK.

·
Registered
590 Posts
We all feel your pain. There have been many promises, and I've yet to believe there is a 90-100% cure.

I have experienced occassional mild hop with previous cars, including Porsche 993, Viper GTS, and M5... but nothing approaching what we have in terms of how often it occurs and the extreme severity.

A tire change and bushing spacers certainly made it better around corners, no more hop there... and the hop is better during aggressive shifts. BUT, from a stop, especially in the rain, it can be horrible.

Between that and the noises from the drivetrain and spacers, I'm beginning to get a bit p*ssed-off. Really a shame, when IMHO this is otherwise one of the most satisfying performance cars around.

·
Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
12,007 Posts

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
281 Posts
this is why i gave up drag racing (broke one car, smoke 2 clutches in 2 other ones). i don't care what car you have, any high hp rear wheel drive car can wheel hop, when you dump the clutch. so worse then others, i snapped a half shaft and twisted a c/v joint in my 99 cobra on stock tires. both my vettes wheel hopped on hard launches if not done right. the key i learned is in clutch release. if you release the clutch too fast an independent susp., it will hop everytime. i am just sharing to help out those who have difficulty launching myself included, it may not be 100% the car, on street tires much over 2000 will hop everytime imho. here is something i dug up from the corvette forum worth a read for the novice

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=759802

i would also add only independent rear car that was easy to launch was the STi i just traded in on a V, with awd rev that bad up and hang on...

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
Time to send out the Waaaaahhhhhhmmmmbulance. You bought a V, get
used to it.

F

·
Registered
2017 Camaro ZL1; 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2004 Lightning
12,007 Posts
Welcome back! But now you're a troll...

How you likin' that new ride?

·
crushing Vs with my Wurm
2013 GT500 - 700+ HP
12,266 Posts
GNS,

Long time no see (actually your posts on 300C are very well done!)

Take care, enjoy the new ride....and post here your thoughts on the 300 as you did over there, Im sure the folks will enjoy em!

F

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Thanks guys, No troll here. I was just too damn nervous of making a fool out of myself at the track again breaking a rear and with the hop, combined with wanting something new and it is my only other choice. The 06V is basically the same as the 04V, and the LS7 is not coming until 08 and who knows with GM money troubles combined with all of the past V problems if they will even do it> They will now need a rear for the car to handle all that torque the LS7 produces and 4000lbs. I think there is a good chance it may not happen.

I think it sucks that if you want to get rid of the hop, you have to add another 100lbs of bars to get rid of it.

I already did the comparison of the cars how they sit on the 300 board, and I am getting ready to write up the performance end of it. i just need a few more days of dry roads.

·
Registered
22 Posts
thebigjimsho said:
Congrats on the new ride. If we ever see a nice day again, we should meet up for a fun run. I'd love to see what the SRT-8 can do in person.
I had a 300 "touring" and considered upgrading to the "C" or "SRT-8", but not having a stick was driving me crazy. The added HP without the stick would have been even worse for me.

Power is nothing without control
Good luck

·
Registered
327 Posts
LS6-CTS-V said:
Has anyone really stopped Wheel hop. i am sooooooo sick of it, I am ready to dump the car.

This morning I was starting up from a dead stop, street was alittle wet, and you guessed it WHEEL HOP.

I have owned many fast cars and this is the only one that I have owned that has wheel hop.

I got the bushings, changed my tires and put the brace on the differencial. And to no avail I still get wheel hop. ( What a sh!t design ) I would think Cadillac could do better than this.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I am begining to really think this car is JUNK.

Lately I have been talking with my coworker about solutions. The question is, how much would you be willing to pay to get rid of it?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Looking at the attachment points of the cradle and suspension. My feeling is that Urethane bushed struts and revalved shocks with a stiffer rebound would make a big difference. As would a different spring. Unfortunately, there are no shock options other then putting in that penske cluster. Too much junk for a street car IMO. It has to be custom peices. I did speak to UUC on the struts, he hasnt found a proper bushing and the BMR stuf rattles.

·
Registered
Lemon Law'd '05 V
1,241 Posts
If we could mount aluminum pillow-ball shock mounts in the rear, it would help...as the rubber we have allows too much movement divorced from the shock's rebound. Lasstss, I think you're going in the right direction with the bushings, too. Urethane would work better to isolate the rattles/vibration associated with solid mounts.

If the springs RGD are working on come to pass, we should have a 500lb/in spring to add to the mix...it should also help.

I'm also considering sending a rear shock to Koni to see if they can match a SPORT shock for us, they are rebound adjustable and could help the hop.

We'll see...
-ace

·
Registered
209 Posts
I'm in the same position, thinking of dumping the car due to wheel hop. It hops all the time, wet, dry, hot, cold weather. It always clunked, and now its banging rather than clunking, something is clearly broke. I have the wheel hop kit on it, and an Maggie. If the dealer fixes it I may keep it. Otherwise I may sell it. I love the car and hope it gets fixed. But the car is too frail for spirited driving.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts