Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
14' CTS 3.6
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm extremely frustrated... I've had my car in three times due to a groan sound from the right front wheel. The dealer has heard the noise and identified it coming from the front right hub (bearing) and replaced it. After I picked the car up I heard the same noise coming from the same wheel the very next day. So I took it back and they confirmed the noise again. This time they decided to try wheels from another CTS to rule out mine and had the same problem. Then they reported they installed another new front wheel hub and STILL had the noise. Ultimately they used the chassis ears and pinpointed the noise to actually be coming from the right rear wheel bearing. So they reinstalled the old new hub on the front and installed a new hub on the rear. They also reported they received a fault code from the right rear speed sensor. This was supposed to fix the issue.

I picked the car up yesterday after work. Today on my way back to work I started to hear the same noise even louder from the right front wheel AGAIN! The sound starts after about 10-15 min of highway driving 75mph (heat related?). I can't believe I'm having this problem at 14,000 miles and can't get it fixed! I'm really starting to question my purchase.

·
Registered
2K ELDO WHITE DIAM , 2K TURBO BUG ,69 VETTE ZZ4 2014 CTS
534 Posts
I'm extremely frustrated... I've had my car in three times due to a groan sound from the right front wheel. The dealer has heard the noise and identified it coming from the front right hub (bearing) and replaced it. After I picked the car up I heard the same noise coming from the same wheel the very next day. So I took it back and they confirmed the noise again. This time they decided to try wheels from another CTS to rule out mine and had the same problem. Then they reported they installed another new front wheel hub and STILL had the noise. Ultimately they used the chassis ears and pinpointed the noise to actually be coming from the right rear wheel bearing. So they reinstalled the old new hub on the front and installed a new hub on the rear. They also reported they received a fault code from the right rear speed sensor. This was supposed to fix the issue.

I picked the car up yesterday after work. Today on my way back to work I started to hear the same noise even louder from the right front wheel AGAIN! The sound starts after about 10-15 min of highway driving 75mph (heat related?). I can't believe I'm having this problem at 14,000 miles and can't get it fixed! I'm really starting to question my purchase.
Any possibility it's another suspension component like the struts?

·
Registered
14' CTS 3.6
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ELDO GUY said:
Any possibility it's another suspension component like the struts?
I actually mentioned this possibility to the dealer but they didn't think so. I plan on taking the car back in tomorrow after work to try again.

·
Registered
Cadillac
375 Posts
I am having a similar problem with what I think is the right front. What was the final conclusion to this matter?

·
Registered
14' CTS 3.6
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cafpaf said:
I am having a similar problem with what I think is the right front. What was the final conclusion to this matter?
It's still ongoing. I stopped by the dealer and picked up the SA so that he could hear it himself, which he did. He agreed it sounded like a bad right front bearing. They couldn't get me in last week so hopefully I can get the car back in soon. It actually is sounding much worse than before.

12,778 Posts

Hello all,

I am sorry to hear that some of you are experiencing this bearing concern. Additionally, we want your vehicle ownership experience to be as smooth and seamless as possible. Please send me a PM with your full name, VIN, mileage, phone number, and the name of your involved dealership if this is something that you would like me to look into. Enjoy your weekend and thank you for your time.

Best Regards,

Brandon M.
Cadillac Customer Care

·
Registered
Cadillac
375 Posts
Had my car at the dealer today for normal service and to find out why I was experiencing noise coming from the left front. I thought that it was most likely a wheel bearing, rotor, or something else. They told me that the problem was cupping of the tires. They rotated the tires and recommended t hat I have an alignment done. They stated that this would not completely eliminate the problem but that all mechanical things have been ruled out and that only new tires would solve the problem. However since the tires only have 12,300 miles on them they certainly do not need to be replaced due to excessive wear. I need to drive this car another 27,000 miles before the lease expires and am sure I will need to replace the tires. However, I do not want to do it more than once. So, I am going to wait until I have 24,000 miles on them if I can stand the noise. My question is why did this happen? I keep the air pressure at recommended levels and they have rotated the tires at the oil changes. Do they need to be rotated more frequently? What else can I do?

·
Registered
2008 CTS Premium
70 Posts
I have the same problem. I have 16,000 miles on the Perelli runflat p zero nero. I have the tire warranty but have not asked to replace them. I had the alignment done and the sound got worse. It is the tires though.

·
Registered
Cadillac
375 Posts
I am ready to pull the pin and get four new Bridgestone Drive Guard tires to solve the noise and thumping problem. I should do it sometime in the next week or two. I will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
04 CTS, 08 CTS, 12 CTS Prem, 14 CTS Prem, 16 ATS-V, 18 CTS-V
252 Posts
I think my car suffers from this. Right front as well. I put it in the shop a few weeks back to complain about a "drag" which i perceived to come from the right front. Hard to explain really; not a brake drag issue but it just sounds and feels dronish from that corner. Tech diagnosed it as my tires chunking and attributed it to cornering at higher speeds. The "chunking" issue cant be seen on my tires really just felt. Adds to my hate of the P Zero Neros, as if being loud wasnt enough already.

·
Registered
'13 SRX4 Performance
251 Posts
My Pirelli P Zero Nero tires are cupping as well (both front tires). Car was brought in with 12,200 miles but the day I brought it in, I ended up getting a blowout due to hitting a huge pothole later that day. Had to replace 1 front tire. Just had the tires rotated and car aligned. The car is riding worse than before--really bad vibration. I called Cadillac and they are contacting the dealer to see what can be done. Personally, I think this is a crock of shit--I really hope that something is done under warranty.

·
Registered
Cadillac
375 Posts
Yes Chris, I did get new tires. I got Bridgestone Drive Guard run flats. There is a dramatic difference in the quietness of the ride as well as the comfort. Of course, I only have about 900 miles on them so all should certainly be well. We will have to see how they do in the long run. Total cost from Tire Rack including shipping and installation at my local shop was around $950 or close to it.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS V-Sport -Phantom Grey / Blue Leather
191 Posts
Pirello P Zero tires SUCK. They go away fast, they promote wheel hop (had them on my Regal GS and my dad had them on his Mustang GT -- BOTH of us complained about lots of wheel hop, and thought it was suspension.. until we replaced the tires.) Id replace Pirellis ASAP

·
Registered
20 Posts
Good morning everyone,

Going through the same with my 2014 CTS right now. Everytime i've had it in for regular service I've complained about the excessive "wheel bearing" noise. They tell me it's the Pirelli tires cupping....Now with 24k miles i've had enough. Took it to the dealer yesterday, got a loaner. I can't even use the handsfree bluetooth because its so damn loud. Uggggggg!

·
Registered
14' CTS 3.6
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ohioguychris said:
Good morning everyone, Going through the same with my 2014 CTS right now. Everytime i've had it in for regular service I've complained about the excessive "wheel bearing" noise. They tell me it's the Pirelli tires cupping....Now with 24k miles i've had enough. Took it to the dealer yesterday, got a loaner. I can't even use the handsfree bluetooth because its so damn loud. Uggggggg!
I've had my car on several times for the wheel bearing issue. They already replaced the front right bearing but I still have the same problems. All four of my Bridgestone Potenza run flats have cupping on the outer edge of each tire and they're very noisy. I don't think it's the tires at the root of the problem. I believe it's something in the suspension. Wheel bearings? Ball joints? I have no idea.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport
879 Posts
I've had my car on several times for the wheel bearing issue. They already replaced the front right bearing but I still have the same problems. All four of my Bridgestone Potenza run flats have cupping on the outer edge of each tire and they're very noisy. I don't think it's the tires at the root of the problem. I believe it's something in the suspension. Wheel bearings? Ball joints? I have no idea.
If you have cupping, you *will* have noise. Fact. And BTW, the Bridgestone run flats are probably second only to the Pirelli run flats for these issues. It's not just on the CTS, not just on Cadillacs... you'll find similar cupping/noise complaints with the Bridgestones in the BMW forums.

I obviously can't speak for your dealer, but mine agreed to replace the Pirellis under warranty. As you're probably aware, they're covered by GM, not the tire manufacturer. I predict that at some point, this is going to be a huge issue for GM/Cadillac, if it isn't already. Expect some pushback.

·
Registered
2017 MB C300 Cabriolet, 2019 Volvo V90CC
888 Posts
This is really a sad post. A really great car can be ruined by bad tires. You would think Cadillac/GM would do a better job of selecting--and testing out--tire choices before they made them standard equipment.

·
Registered
1994 Eldo TC, 1998 ETC, 1998 STS, 2014 CTS, 2016 CTS, 2017 CTS Premium AWD
387 Posts
In general, I am not a fan of runflats. I think that has more to do with it than the Pirellis. I've used these tires in the non-run flat variety on my last several cars and was very pleased.

·
Registered
Cadillac
122 Posts
Only decent run flat is Michelin but they cost $$$ so when deciding an OEM tire, $$$ are a consideration for manufacturers. Too bad because it can sour the experience of a good car. It would be nice to have a factory upgrade option well worth spending a couple hundred bucks on!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts