Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I install the front wheel bearing on my 91 Deville it slides on the splined shaft fine but then wants to push on the axle before the bearing assembly seats. Is this the way it should? It seems like about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch - it can be drawn in by tightening the bolts, and nothing seems to bind but I don't want to damage anything. A buddy said this is just engaging the axle to the tranny but the inside of the wheel I did not mess with does not look the same as this one. Any ideas?

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is normal, the axle does slide in/out on the inboard cv joint, inact some are sprung, in which case, you are just pushing on the spring. No worries.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Everything seems fine. Road tested and all the slop / hobble is gone. Pretty expensive part for a wheel bearing but what can you do? Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What kind of symptons was the wheel bearing giving u? I have some weird vibrations and Im thinking wheel bearing but just wanted some more info.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually mine growled and wobbled and felt like the damn wheel was about to fall off. The growl was more pronounced on any turn to the left (it was passenger side bearing) When I jacked it up there was a LOT of play on the wheel also. The new unit took care of all of that.
Also, a mechanic friend of mine told me yesterday that if it isn't TOO bad (like mine was) that you can actually remove the hub assembly and rotate it 120 degrees, bolt it back in, and it should be good for another 50 - 75K miles. I am going to try that on the driver side this afternoon as this one is beginning to start that growling business too. This car had 169K miles on it so I suppose it is well past time for stuff to start needing replacing.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
Mine growled, but I got to it a couple of days after it started growling. Wheel didn't wobble at all but the bearing had tightened up substantially. I'm not sure how rotating it would help. I could barely turn it by hand.

Jim

·
Super Moderator
86,088 Posts
By the time you hear the growl it is pretty well gone. By the time you feel a wobble it is REALY gone. I agree with turbojimmy on the rotation. I can't see that doing any good.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I thought the same about rotating it but this guy says it is a common trick by the Caddy places - rotate it and the noise is gone and they charge you for a bearing. ANYway - I did the driver side a couple hours ago and I be damn if it didnt stop the growl. Go figure. I thought hell for a 70 dollar bearing it couldnt hurt to see if he was right. Also seemed to tighten up the entire front end. Have no idea how long it will last, but for now it feels as solid as the new one.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yeah, when these "hub assemblies" go bad, they growl. if you turn to one side and it goes away, its the side that you turned to that has the bad one. They usually tend not to wobble unless the are really bad, in which case if they do, id replace the axle too, They are built to much higher tollerances that your regular serviceable bearings and they usually growl a long time before they wobble, and if they do they put lots of strain on the cv joint.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
5 Participants
Cadillac_Rancher