Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Deville DTS
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 DTS and was wondering what are the symptoms of failing wheel bearings. Right now, I don't have a squealing or howl but I feel a little vibration while taking a right hand turn. I have fairly new cv axles installed and new front motor mount so I am guessing that it is the wheel bearings. Any help would be appreciated as I have not ever had a vehicle with sealed bearing assembly.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,969 Posts
Symptoms are a growl or howl at certain speeds. May be quiet before and after. Do a series of "S" turns like a NASCAR driver warming his tires. If it is a bearing it will get loud when the bearing is loaded and quiet when unloaded.

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
Hmmm Interesting. I have the same symptoms you describe on my 01 DTS and I asked the same question a while back.

Mine happens when the weight is on that wheel. I usually notice it when the suspension comes back down after traveling over a small hill on a curve.

It feels a small vibration like when the older ABS systems booted up or even when the ABS is engaged. I wonder what it is?

I have a 2000 DTS and was wondering what are the symptoms of failing wheel bearings. Right now, I don't have a squealing or howl but I feel a little vibration while taking a right hand turn. I have fairly new cv axles installed and new front motor mount so I am guessing that it is the wheel bearings. Any help would be appreciated as I have not ever had a vehicle with sealed bearing assembly.

·
Registered
1998 Cadillac Deville Sedan
897 Posts
Do you hear different pitch of the sound when you turn the wheel to the left or right? From m experience a wheel bearing can go a long ways before they fail and you'll definitely hear them before they fail, my old 94 Volkswagen Golf went with a bad wheel bearing for almost 4 years before it got changed, that's when I can feel the vibration from the floorboard :alchi: which means it's on its last leg

·
Super Moderator
86,969 Posts
It will start with just a barely audible growl and get progressively louder. It will complain so loudly that you can't ignore it before the wheel falls off.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
I have no howl and no noise at all at any speed under any conditions. Only the occasional little vibration which only lasts a second as described above.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DTS
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have any noise (or any that I can hear without sticking my head out the window) just a small shudder during a turn. It may be growling or howling but I have not noticed it or don't know what I am listening for. I did however raise the front and moved the tire/wheel in and out and found that there is a very small movement on the driver's side but did not feel the same movement when I did the passenger side. Is this by chance a hint?

·
Registered
2000 Deville DTS
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Symptoms are a growl or howl at certain speeds. May be quiet before and after. Do a series of "S" turns like a NASCAR driver warming his tires. If it is a bearing it will get loud when the bearing is loaded and quiet when unloaded.
Ranger, I did the "S" turn maneuver but couldn't tell if it was the "roar" of the tires on the pavement or actually the growl or howl you were mentioning. Looks like I will just replace the hubs and post back with my results.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
That's a pretty costly test. I would just keep driving until something becomes more evident. Those hubs are like $300 each plus labor if you don't do it yourself.

Ranger, I did the "S" turn maneuver but couldn't tell if it was the "roar" of the tires on the pavement or actually the growl or howl you were mentioning. Looks like I will just replace the hubs and post back with my results.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DTS
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Super Moderator
86,969 Posts
I agree with Code. I would not throw parts at it. If you jack it up and place your hands at 12:00 & 6:00 and try to wiggle the tire. There should be no play. Play at 3:00 & 9:00 could be a tie rod. If it is a bearing, it will let you know soon enough.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
If it is a front wheel bearing it is a very distinct sound.
It is a low pitched growl that increases in volume and pitch as you go faster.
If you put the car in neutral and turn the key off it will still be there as you coast.
To identify which side it might be, get up to about 30 mph or so on a nice open road.
Gently turn the wheel from side to side, just enough to transfer the load and listen for a change in the volume.
As you turn away from the bad bearing the noise will get louder... such as, if you turn a bit to the left the right hub will howl louder and vice versa.
As mentioned this is due to the loading of the bearing.

Often times you can lift the vehicle up off the ground by the frame and grab the tire at the top and bottom.
Move the top and bottom in and out using pressure on both hands. If there is much play then the bearing is loose. The bearing can be loose and not be noisy and it can be noisy and not be loose, so this isn't really the deciding factor but it could be an indicator.
Usually the rear hubs don't fail in this fashion but it is not impossible. It can be much harder to identify which one of them is faulty.
They are pretty pricey to just throw at the car.
You should be able to tell as I described above. Don't turn the wheel too hard or the other noises the vehicle naturally makes will mask the difference in the sound from the hub.
You should even be able to stay in one lane, but don't do this in front of a cop late at night unless you want to take a sobriety test! :D

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DTS
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all for the info/help, and thanks for the diagnostic ewill3rd. I guess I will just wait it out till something "really" gives. It just occurred to me that last month I had my car aligned and tires balanced because it had a slight pull and vibration and they said they could only align it if they replaced the right outer tie rod since it was shot. Being out of town I let them replace it and the car was ok for a while but I should have just replaced both since it is doing all over again.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
If you have worn components an alignment does you no good at all. (depending on how bad it was to start)
As soon as you back it off the rack the looseness of whatever is worn will just let it move around and the work the guy did was in vain. Most good alignment guys will give the front end a real good shake down before they put the sensors on.

Let us know what you find.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts