Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed all my coolant hoses recently, i reused the clamps- have had 2 leaks, one a minor seepage - but today the Damn upper heater hose on the firewall popped off on my wife whilst shopping. had to rescue her , it was a easy fix , but i want reliability not convienence...

What do you guys / gals think?

Steve

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
1,018 Posts
Worm drives clamps are not to be used on plastic radiators. It will break the hose nipple when you tighten it too tight. Tension type clamps are best.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
198 Posts
I don’t like the spring clamps. Springs break especially with thermal stress. Why did the hose pop off? Never had a worm drive clamp come loose.

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, never heard of that but it make sense with the plastic fittings....wonder if wire ones are slightly better? one would think that the FSM would recommend NOT re-using the spring clamps? I will ask my trusted mom and pop Speed shop for guidance...i am on the fence of what to do, yes the OEM ones lased 12 years...but why are they failing?

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
1,018 Posts
12 years,... you're replacing hoses, why wouldn't you replace the clamps?

Extended warranties will not cover a cracked radiator tank if they see worm clamps on it.

Yes, they clamp tighter, but, that is the problem. It applies too much pressure in one spot, ...behind the worm drive!

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dunno....never thought about it as i have never worked on a rig with plastic fittings.....i guess it goes in the book as lessons learned ..............

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Deville
287 Posts
I don't know of a mechanic (and I know a few) that would replace a hose without recommending new clamps. My PERSONAL preference is worm drive clamps, but if you're unsure that you can install them without overtightening them I would recommend spring type. The spring type seem to lose some of their tension when you reuse them. Maybe due to over stretching them when reinstalling them.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Premi
59 Posts
I changed all my coolant hoses recently, i reused the clamps- have had 2 leaks, one a minor seepage - but today the Damn upper heater hose on the firewall popped off on my wife whilst shopping. had to rescue her , it was a easy fix , but i want reliability not convienence...

What do you guys / gals think?

Steve

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
interesting:unsure:

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was wondering that as well, also could be trying in tight spaces - its a great idea though

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance, 2013 Toyota Highlander Limited
198 Posts
I was wondering that as well, also could be trying in tight spaces - its a great idea though
Even the mini tool looks like it’s a few inches long. Flipping that 180 degrees in certain situations may have its challenges. I like the idea for outdoor applications though. Probably beats the cable ties I typically use.

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
isn't enough room the plastic nipple is only like a inch long...you have to be very careful to get them on just right, i wish we had a GM mechanic on the forum ( who responds) cuz i have tech questions about the clamps in general, like can one reuse?, is there a different "tension" clamp for different hoses? how do you tell them apart? - there seems to be no color code or number on the clamps

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
1,018 Posts
I can answer 1 question.

You can reuse the clamp, only if you re-use the hose, and you must put it back in the exact same position,...exactly.

And, when hoses are replaced at the dealer, they come with new clamps. The aftermarket suppliers eliminate the clamps to lower the price, I guess.

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
530 Posts
A couple other tricks to solve leaks: 1. Bailing wire twisted until the leak stops. You'd be surprised how well this works in a pinch. Just don't twist it until it breaks. 2. Zip ties. You can get them damned tight if you try. I have a tightening "gun" that makes it real easy. Not sure what kind of pressure we're dealing with here, but in every other car I've had, I've reused the spring clamps and don't recall ever having a leak. I suppose another shade tree remedy might be wrapping the nipples with electrical tape or maybe shrink wrap tube.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts