Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
'06 STS V8 RWD - Black Raven/Cashmere - no ACC
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8 months after I got my car, the battery became dead... I called the roadside assistant and they jumped it... it worked fine for 8 months ... then it became dead again several days ago...

Called the roadside assistant and jumped it... it's working fine til now...

Do I have to replace it ?

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 Blackberry,2004 CTS 3.6 Loaded, 2016 SRX LOADED
482 Posts
Take it to the dealership and have them replace it. You probably have a couple of bad cells. Have them to check the charging system. It should be under warranty work.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,973 Posts
I think these guys are in a hurrry when they get out and hit the off button twice. This leaves the car with the accessory position on and drains the battery. A battery isn't going to go bad and heal up for another 8 months. This is the downside of the keyless entry. The difficulty with an owner accepting this theory is they have to admit culpability.

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
522 Posts
Yes, it is possible to hit the button twice, and leave the car in acc mode. But if this is the case they would also have to ignore the fact that the radio does not turn off after the driver door is opened and closed, and the car goes "bing - bing - bing" and the DIC says "Accessory Active".

I'm just glad that when my battery went dead a couple months after I purchased it, the dealer came right out with a new battery and replaced it on the spot. I actually wanted them to take the car in and check out exactly what went wrong with it. The guy they sent out just told me that he was 99% sure replacing the stock battery would take care of the problem with the STS. They had seen many problems with these cars and it was the batteries they came with from the factory, combined with the amount of time these cars tend to sit before being sold.

My car sat for weeks at a time last summer using the new battery with no problem.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure I didn't hit the off button twice, I didn't leave a reading light on, nothing... it's same as the first time I had it dead... simply nothing.. just went dead...

even if I left acc mode on.. it turns off automatically in 20 minutes... but I think it's as Aurora said... some bad cells...

I told them to replace the battery the first time but they didn't ... and as usual they told me that they did...

but anyhow, i'll get it to the regular maintainance and ill have them change the battery, program the Torque clutch whatever, fix the rear differential oil leak, and fix the "not working" trunk button...

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Modern cars experience what is known as a parasitic effect. They have so much electronic gadgetry, that the batteries wear down within a month or two. Some batteries do not ever regain a full charge if they have been totally discharged.

Keep in mind that you do not want to re-charge a battery by driving the car and charging it thru alternator. That has a habit of eating up alternators. (Too much output for alternator.)

·
Premium Member
28,973 Posts
Modern cars experience what is known as a parasitic effect. They have so much electronic gadgetry, that the batteries wear down within a month or two. Some batteries do not ever regain a full charge if they have been totally discharged.

Keep in mind that you do not want to re-charge a battery by driving the car and charging it thru alternator. That has a habit of eating up alternators. (Too much output for alternator.)
An automobile alternator charging system is the ideal device for recharging a dead battery. It is fully temperature compensated, load regulated, and designed specifically for that task. It starts with a heavy charge that is limited to safe levels and finishes with a floating voltage that is regulated to prevent overcharging. With todays cars, the charging of the battery is only a minor portion of the total alternator load. Rear window defrosters, seat heaters, HID headlights, leveling system compressors, and electronic suspension modifiers are all significant loads.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's dead again... I took it to car wash and they were opening doors and trunk to clean... interior lights were on... it's only minutes, and when I tried to start it, I couldn't ...

I took it to the dealer, they plugged their whatever and they told me it needs to be replaced... they replaced it anyway...

·
Registered
209 Posts
Roadside assistance replaced mine in my driveway, at no cost, no fuss, no muss. Definitely call if you think you have a legit failure.

I had to jump initially after programming and playing with all the "stuff" the first evening I had the car home, then had to jump a couple times after sitting for more than a day.

Probably a bad cell, but they were very easy to work with on this issue. I bought the car w/24K, so who knows how many times the battery had drained etc.

CG
2005 STS SG1 30K

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
165 Posts
so is the conclusion just that AC Delco batteries just suck? my dad works for GM and got me the GMVIS printouts on the STS I just bought, and the only unusual thing was that the battery has already been replaced twice by Roadside Assistance.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure if it's the battery model or the car... but for sure, AC Delco is not the best...

I used to have a lexus with an AC delco... the warranty is 1 year... 1 year and 1 month the battery is dead and need to be replaced... while my uncle had his Exide battery replaced after 3 years...

I wonder if there is a suitable Exide battery for STS ?...

·
Registered
Cadillac 07 STS w/1SG Pkg
345 Posts
For those of you that have a pre 2005 STS and your battery is located under the rear seat, lift the seat up and check it out. My 2000 STS battery (4+ years old )went dead and I couldn't wait for roadside assistance, so I lifted up the seat so I could charge it and was shocked to see a large amount of corrosion around the positive terminal. When I went to remove the rubber covering from the terminal the whole terminal came right out of the battery because of the corrosion. Called Cadillac dealer and they sent out a flatbed tow truck loaded it up and hauled it off to the dealership and replaced it at no charge and gave me a free rental.

·
Registered
2005 STS 1SF, 1990 Allante, 2006 XLR-V
270 Posts
My battery must be going bad. It will not start the car if it sits for 10 minutes with the radio on and the engine off. Never had this problem till recently. Is this considered warranty? I know most car dealers warranty batteries differently from the regular car warranty. I guess I will call the dealer and see what they will do as I can't even find a replacement battery at the local auto parts store.

·
Registered
2005 STS
15 Posts
Delco batteries are junk and always have been! I have a 2005 sts and have had the battery replaced 4 times since new. Car went into service as new in 2006 with a bad dead battery after second day of ownership. Buy any aftermarket battery and get 3-5 years out of it.

·
Registered
STS
786 Posts
The Delco batteries are junk. They suck. I had one go bad and got a brand new one from the dealer and it went dead after 2 1/2 months. It went dead dead too. Wouldnt veen start the car after I charged it. And when I got a jump and let the car run for an hour and then turned it off it still wouldnt start the car.

I don't have anything hooked up to my car besides a hard wire for my radar detector and it turns off when the car turns off.

I suggest getting the red top Optima battery that others have said will fit. There is a thread about it.

·
Premium Member
28,973 Posts
The EPA regs are so onerous that there are only a couple of auto battery manufacturers left in the U.S. You can praise one brand and damn another and it turns out that they both come out of the same factory door but with different brands.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts